LOUD Mac G4 Dual 500mhz

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

andrewstadium
takin' a dinner break

LOUD Mac G4 Dual 500mhz

Post by andrewstadium » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:13 am

After much deliberation and budget considerations I bought a used G4 dual 500 "Gigabit Ethernet" model from circa 2000. My dual450 was on the fritz and this way I figured I could salvage my RAM, DVD-R, MOTU card, etc and put it into the 500.

When i turned on the 500 I was shocked to find it has extremely loud fan noise. Annoyingly, irritatingly loud. I can't believe it since my 450, was not nearly as bad.

Are there any mods, replacement power supplies or fans that anyone could recommend? Any websites, resources or repair people?

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:42 am

well,
i don't know if i have an anwser for you. i'm sure someone makes specialty fans, that are probably like 5% quiter.. those machines were noise beasts! though still nothing compared to them mirror door versions. ouch.
anyways. if it was me. i would just remove the fans. .and when it dies, get a G5.. they are almost distrubingly quiet in comparison.

panda

andrewstadium
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewstadium » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:50 am

Remove the fan? That seems a little crazy to me. I think my other G4 started crapping out when i deprived it of proper air flow. Damn. Maybe I should have just splurged for the G5. : (

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:12 am

Panaflo fans are very quiet, and I recommend them for g4s (not for G5s). You can also undervolt a fan to make it even quieter. It is criminally easy to do, just google it!