MAC vs PC for recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

petreestow
alignin' 24-trk

MAC vs PC for recording

Post by petreestow » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:20 am

So do I buy a new PC and stick with recording on Logic 5, or buy a mac and or buy Logic 7 pro?

It appears that you can get a faster PC for less money then you can with mac. What are your opinions?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:00 am

Either way will work. I use Macs and couldn't be happier.

A used Dual processor G5 will last you quite some time. and can be had for less than $1200. I have a dual 1.8Ghz G5 and it's everything that I've ever needed. Digital Performer, 24-48 track projects with tons of plugs, including EQ/Comp on every channel, plus multiple WAVES IR-1 reverbs over busses. I love my setup.

Jeff

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:11 am

Whatever makes you happy.

Don't be a geek and say, "Oh, this is a 1.8 GHz Dual processor, it's got to be better than a 1.7 GHz Dual." Most current machines can handle plenty.

The bigger question is whether you feel more comfortable tweaking a PC or a Mac. Do NOT buy the hype that Macs are inherently "better" than PCs. They have their own set of problems (which cat, er, OSX version do I need? And what the hell is a kernel panic?). Pick the set of problems that is dealable.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:25 am

Well, as far as price, it seems like anymore, similarly configured machines are about the same price. And generally, I have found macs to have a little better resale value.

Avoid "economy" models from the PC or Mac side. Get a machine with a 3.5" 7200rpm SATA HD and and external firewire drive. Load it with RAM and hit it.

That having been said..... OS-X sure is nice

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/feature ... /index.php

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:04 am

I just recently switched from Windows to Mac. You want to know what honestly kept me on the PC for so long? Cost. It's not even that PC's are significantly cheaper for similarly configured machines. But with the PC, you have the option of buying parts and doing piecemeal upgrades as you can afford them. Doing so definitely requires a degree of knowledge, but if you have the skills, why not?

It's really hard for me to be objective about which is "easier" or "better" because I've been a sysadmin for over a decade. I know Windows inside and out, and I have a lot of experience with Linux as well. So for me to jump on OSX was no big deal. Yeah, it looks a little different, but when it comes down to it, the basic concepts of modern computing are all the same. It's just a matter of learning the details of one particular OS.

If I had to step back and be as objective as possible, I'd say that the overall user experience is more polished on the Mac. And because they're still relatively under the radar, you are much more isolated from the viruses and other crapware that stalk Windows systems. That right there is probably worth the price of admission, especially for the less technically-savvy that aren't clued in on how to avoid all that crapware in the first place.

As far as which is a better platform for audio, I would agree with all the other posts so far. You can work just fine on either one. The one big exception would be if your choice of DAW software isn't cross-platform. If you're a Sonar user, you will be on the PC...if you like Digital Performer, you'll be on a Mac...etc...

So, why did I switch from PC to Mac? The main reason is because I went into a partnership with a friend who owns a pro studio, and I wanted to be as compatible as possible with him. He uses a Mac. So there you go. I have since bought another Mac for my home so I could get comfortable with OSX, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There are definitely some things about OSX that annoy me, but overall it's been a fun little experiment.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:08 am

kayagum wrote:Whatever makes you happy.

Don't be a geek and say, "Oh, this is a 1.8 GHz Dual processor, it's got to be better than a 1.7 GHz Dual." Most current machines can handle plenty.
My reason for bringing up the fact that my G5 is a Dual 1.8Ghz is because it is the slowest of the Dual Processor G5s (it's the one that *only* expands to 4 gigs of RAM). However, the level of recording / mixing performance that I am getting out of it is incredible (to me). I honestly will not have to upgrade (maybe add more RAM soon) the computer for some time, and I've had it for over two years.

Even my 1.5 Ghz G4 Powerbook, which I use for remote recording, handles RAW audio like a champ. Easily will handle 16 tracks simultaneous. Plug-ins, however, bite it in the ass real quick.

I have a friend who uses an inexpensive Dell and Traktion and makes some great recordings. Like I said, it doesn't matter what you use, as long as you know your system and keep it updated and secure.

Jeff

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:44 am

I'm a firm believer of choosing the platform to serve your application (software). Which Logic is more stable or has better features? Mac or PC?

I'm a SawStudio fan, personally. That leaves me on a PC. If I was interested in ProTools, it's be Mac all the way.

troynelsen
audio school

ADVICE FOR A NEWBIE?

Post by troynelsen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:38 pm

I have been recording for years on cassette four-track with very little outboard gear--just for personal demos. I can finally afford to jump into recording on computer but do not own one at the moment. I have used very basic programs like Garageband and found it's limitations are fine with me. I can afford a Mac, but could get a similar PC built through a friend for less than half the price and THAT is appealing to me! I am unfamiliar with any simple recording software available for Windows. Any recommendations--is there freeware or something I should buy? Is there an easy-to-use piece of hardware that functions like a Griffin IMic? I also need practical advice on how much memory I might need, as I found a 40gig powerbook G4 got dragged down pretty quickly with my GB experiments. Thanks for your help!

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:44 pm

mr. troynelsen,

i am now recording on a dual intel mac mini.

its totally fast enough for me- and i am even running logic under rosetta cause i cant bring myself to part with some key plug ins yet.. its very very quiet- which is super underrated for a recording computer. and its pretty much PC price- especially when you factor in the really great case and quiet operation and portable-ness of it.

i think garageband comes free with it. that and a firepod and an external firewire drive.. altogther will be just over 1k i bet.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:09 pm

The new intel macs are pcs, too... you can load windows natively, if you'd like, with no performance hit, and even run it side-by-side with os10... this will be my next computer, so then I won't have to sacrifice anything...

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:29 pm

wedge wrote:The new intel macs are pcs, too... you can load windows natively, if you'd like, with no performance hit, and even run it side-by-side with os10... this will be my next computer, so then I won't have to sacrifice anything...
That's a really good point, but I can tell you about at least one case where some stuff isn't 100% compatible. I have a 20" Core2 iMac that I run Boot Camp on. When I boot into Windows, my M-Audio Firewire 410 doesn't work properly. It's recognized by the OS, but any audio that plays thru it is jacked up. It's sort of...I don't know...buzzy and thin sounding. Works fine in OSX, but not in my Boot Camp-installed WinXP.

Sound Asylum
audio school graduate

Post by Sound Asylum » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:02 am

There is no comparison I have had both.

The list go's on forever.

I have seen many Pc's get virus' ands trojans.....Mac none.

2ghz mac is MUCH faster than a 2GHZ PC.

As someone else already seaid: resell value is great.

You said you use logic. Mac bought Logic and made it a much better program now.

The work flow on a Mac is much more efficient.

Its a more stable machine especialy as far as interfacing with i/o boxes and recording software. When companies make these products for mac its much easier a mac is a mac. Pc's vary from one company to the next.

"Adding on little uprgrades to PC" Thats like buying a cheap car and later adding a muffler. Buy a good car to begin with and when it gets to slow(about 5 years) upgrade(don't forget the great resell value).

Disclaimer: I am not trying to talk trash or put down people who have Pc's. Just trying to pass down my experience to anyone who's on the fence about PC vs. Mac.
You can record directly to a record lathe and make interesting recordings.
Regards,
Mike

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:24 am

A Mac is like an Audi. Sure, it has higher build quality and better resale value, but if something breaks, you have to take it to the dealership and pay big money to get it fixed. A PC is like a Chevy. You can buy parts for it anywhere for cheap, anyone can fix them, and you've got a lot more choices for upgrades. I'm still using the same machine I built years ago...2Ghz AMD, 1GB RAM, 2x100GB HD's, etc. It runs audio apps with no problems and I've had it up continuously for 2+ years! I wouldn't worry about viruses, crashing, etc...that's more a "user" problem than anything else.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:32 am

For the record, I'm using a 1.4gHz Athlon XP. I've managed to run 40-track-count projects with plug-ins a-plenty on it. I keep it off the net, so virii and scumware aren't really an issue.

Whatever makes ya happy.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:33 am

There is no comparison I have had both.
Me too, and I disagree with you. I don't find one to be substantially better than the other. Mac definitely has the edge on usability and design, but to say "there is no comparison" is a stretch.
I have seen many Pc's get virus' ands trojans.....Mac none.
No argument there. Not many people try to write viruses for the Mac because the market is so small compared to PC's. It's the same reason you don't hear about viruses on Linux.
2ghz mac is MUCH faster than a 2GHZ PC.
How do you suppose that's possible when everyone is using basically the same hardware these days? How can a Core Duo processor be any faster on the Mac vs. the PC?
The work flow on a Mac is much more efficient.
That's totally subjective and depends on what you're more comfortable with. I can work just as well on a PC because I took the time to learn it.
Its a more stable machine especialy as far as interfacing with i/o boxes and recording software.
Then explain why I wasn't able to use my M-Audio interface for a month or so until they released updated drivers to work with my iMac? I'm not saying that's Apple's fault. Just that there are exceptions to every rule, and manufacturers don't always have things "just work" the way you would expect on a Mac.

I'm not trying to talk trash, either. I use both PC's and Macs every day, and I really like my Mac. I'm just saying it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.