please recommend me a 1u channel strip

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

please recommend me a 1u channel strip

Post by Babaluma » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:01 am

i'm looking to fill a 1u gap in one of my frac-rack modular synths, and thought it might be a good idea to go for some kind of a channel strip, that would give me a better sound than using the pre's and eq on my mackie 1202-vlz

here's what i would like if possible:

1u
preamp (input on front panel a bonus)
eq
compressor
not too expensive (around $500)
headhone out

any ideas? so far the only thing i've found that seems to fit the bill perfectly is the focusrite trakmaster

thanks,

gregg

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:59 am

Uh, The Crap Factory PreEQComp?

You ain't gunna get anything good for under $500 with an EQ and compressor. How about an RNC? You can get a rack tray for it and fill it with an RNC and RNLA when funds allow.

Why bother buying crap?

Like my dad always said: buy nice, or buy twice.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:33 am

Symetrix 528?

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:26 am

There's plenty of cool stuff out there for under 5bills..

You should buy this from the Buy/sell forum on this site(before I do)

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=39540

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:28 am

I don't agree with the "buy nice or buy twice" logic... for starters, because not all of us have bottomless pockets... for about $170 new (under $100 used or on eBay) you can score a Bellari RP 503 Tube Channel... I have one right now (well, it's on loan from a friend) and I'm looking to get another... and it's really improved just about everything I've recorded with it (sometimes I get a little compressor-happy and end up sucking the life out of things... a re-track with less compression always fixes it)... the little bugger has EQ, compression, phantom power... a sidechain input... no headphone out, but you could use the 1/4" out I suppose (has XLR in/out AND 1/4" in/out)

Anyway...

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:40 am

markmeat wrote:you can score a Bellari RP 503 Tube Channel...
And if you're so inclined, you can mod it, like the one I bought from lancebug. It's a very cool 1u strip now.

Hee-man
audio school graduate

Post by Hee-man » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:25 am

The Presonus Eureka is a passable unit. It won't make your jaw drop, but the preamp is nice with some color and the compressor is useable. I've barely touched the EQ. It goes for about $500 new, but you can probably get a good deal on a used one, since this unit doesn't have many advocates on the recording message boards.

I also have the RNP, and it was a fantastic purchase.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:23 pm

mjau wrote:
And if you're so inclined, you can mod it, like the one I bought from lancebug. It's a very cool 1u strip now.
Stupid, stupid, stupid. I should have sold plasma instead.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:44 am

thanks for all the recomendations!

the bellari sounds great, i'll see if i can track one down.

mjau, are there any websites detailing the mods? what mods did you do?

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:06 am

The thing that sucks about your approach is that once your ability outgrows the 1ch strip you'll need to re-buy everything. If you really are on a tight budget it's much more cost effective to go the modular route. Buy a cheap pre, a cheap eq, a cheap comp. Then when it's time to upgrade you simply replace your weakest link. It also allows you to avoid the extra stages if they're not being used at the time and use them on mixdown if you start mixing out of the box. It's much more cost effective in the long run.

The same goes for active monitors versus a passive/amp combo that can be gradually upgraded rather than in big leaps and bounds on monitors you end up not liking anyway.

Inflatable was right about the RNC or RNLA being a great sounding cheap option as far as the comp goes.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:09 am

maybe i should clarify:

i have a 45 module frac rack modular synth (blacet/wiard etc), which is divided into 4 x 8u rack cases. i have 1u spare at the bottom of one of the racks, and that rack happens to have a moogerfooger mf-101 low pass filter sitting on the top. the moog filter only works with much lower level signals than the rest of the modular, so i have to attenuate the signal GREATLY before the filter to stop it overloading/distorting. after the filter and VCA, the signal goes to my mackie 1202-vlz, where i have to BOOST the signal again with the crappy mackie pre-amps.

my idea was to fill that 1u space with a pre-amp or channel strip which would a) sound better than the mackie, and b) might add some extra "warmth" to the sound.

i was hoping to be able to do this for not too much cash.

after a bit more research, i'm pretty set on tracking down a bellari rp-503 and modding it!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:11 am

lancebug wrote:
mjau wrote:
Stupid, stupid, stupid. I should have sold plasma instead.
Sorry man - I won't bring it up anymore, I promise!

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:23 am

darkflame wrote: after a bit more research, i'm pretty set on tracking down a bellari rp-503 and modding it!
There's one on eBay right now that ends in like 2 days... also, two new ones from eBay stores... maybe we'll get in a bidding war over it...

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:30 am

i hope not!

i want to buy that ebay one, because i live in japan, and although i would rather buy a new one, all the american online music stores won't ship abroad :(

joelkriske
gettin' sounds

Post by joelkriske » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:16 am

I will double the vote for the vc6q by pre jmi meek.
I've got one. not something you can use for every track every time, but something i will always have in my rack. it's got flava. definitely prefer it's pre's with no eq or comp to my digi 001's, and the compressor and eq can be very interesting at times. love it on vocals and as a crazy di channel strip for guitar. (for clean guitar and synth di i use my avalon u5 now, though).

anyway, ignore what i just said, i'll probly want one more vc6q soon, and don't want to pay more than 3 bills for it! :shock: :wink:
so green yr tasting the chlorophyll (fresh breath anyone?)