new click sounds for PT ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

imsodasad
ass engineer

new click sounds for PT ?

Post by imsodasad » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:41 am

how can you make your own click sounds for pro tools?

the only thing worthy, methinks, is the MPC click - but God, that gets boring in the long run.
how is it possible to simple record a few drum hits (SN and hihat) and put those sounds into the click plugin?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:13 am

I tend to use the marimba setting, as the MPC drives me nuts. I don't know the answer to your question, sorry. Though you may want to use Reason or some other drum-sequencer software instrument as a click plugin instead.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Re: new click sounds for PT ?

Post by the finger genius » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:19 am

Back in the olden days, before the click plug-in existed, we would manufacture our own click track by cutting and pasting multiple hi-hat hits in grid mode. (You could certainly use another sound besides hi-hat.) It should only take a few minutes.

Also, I walked to school ten miles through the snow. With newspapers rubber banded to my feet.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: new click sounds for PT ?

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:55 am

brendan kuntz wrote:Back in the olden days, before the click plug-in existed, we would manufacture our own click track by cutting and pasting multiple hi-hat hits in grid mode. (You could certainly use another sound besides hi-hat.) It should only take a few minutes.

Also, I walked to school ten miles through the snow. With newspapers rubber banded to my feet.
And I'll bet the music was better than what these kids listen to nowadays, eh? :wink:

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

imsodasad
ass engineer

Post by imsodasad » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:18 pm

well.. thank you.
but... isn't it possible to make your own?
i know about rewiring reason - but less CPU hogs, the better, and grid'ing-up a hihat. but someone must know how to import your own samples into the click plugin?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:47 pm

I don't believe the "click" plug-in is that sophisticated.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:34 pm

don't think it's possible.

griding up a single measure of drums and copy and pasting it out should take all of two minutes. or make a few different ones and export as rex. import as needed and they'll adjust to tempo (in pt7).

wills.

imsodasad
ass engineer

Post by imsodasad » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:20 pm

crap. well thanks anyway

kikocoolray
gettin' sounds

Post by kikocoolray » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:47 pm

If you have a software sampler (Sampletank, Plugsound, Kontakt, whatever) you can send the PT click to any trigger any sound in the sampler... I usually use Plugsound Free, as it's very CPU efficient and has some decent percussion sounds.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:14 pm

Back in them really old days before the click plug in... which was like two years ago with version 6.4 I think... I would just route the click signal via MIDI to any internal or external synth that was available.
I think the option is available in the click pull-down menu (up in the menu bar, not in the plug-in) and you can send the click to any instrument plug-in or out to an external synth. Pretty simple, no need for re-wire, and you can choose how much of a memory hog the synth & patch is.
As for importing sounds into the click plug-in, I'm not aware of any way to do it.

I just use Marimba 2 personally. Oh, and a very neat trick is to find out the key of the song you are recording and set the click to play the root pitch rather than just the stock C4. When the tune is in B-flat and the click is tapping away on B-flat somehow the tuning improves. That's also in the click menu.

-Jeremy

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:26 pm

Paste a sample onto the grid on a track in a tock based track, that way it will follwo any tempo changes. Do one bar, highlight the bar, then alt+r and repeat it as many measures as necessary. That also overcomes the no aux plugins running in low latency mode if you are on an 002.

imsodasad
ass engineer

Post by imsodasad » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:10 am

thanks.

a few very good ideas here.
i appreciate it.

dogcow
pluggin' in mics

Post by dogcow » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:52 pm

I think there was a letter in an older TO issue where it said you could send the click to the Quicktime Musical Instuments MIDI and then actually use the built-in computer audio as the click output, potentially freeing up a Pro Tools output for something else.