Sub Metered Electricity.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

seaneldon
pushin' record

Sub Metered Electricity.

Post by seaneldon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:46 pm

So I'm currently in the planning stages of opening a mid-large facility in NYC. We've got some real estate slimeballs with their feelers out looking for places that were previously built out as recording studios, if only to save an ungodly amount of money that a design/construction job of this size would cost. We've gotten a few leads and hits our way that certainly seem to fit the bill, and requested more information about each of them.

One particular space is absolutely perfect. Very, very similar design to the rooms I'd originally imagined for this studio. Decent ceiling height, the landlord will put in new floated floors for me, and build a couple of walls I'm going to need.

While looking at the lease, the only red flag I saw was "SUBMETERED ELECTRIC". I've been told by quite a few folks that this is a run and hide situation but never got a full explaination. I'll be running a 24 channel analog console, analog tracking and mixdown decks, 32 i/o PTHD, about 60 rack spaces of outboard, HVAC, etc. From what I could imagine, a reasonable amount of juice. And it's all gonna be on 24 hours a day. Is this submetered electric bullshit going to cost me way more than if it was direct with ConEd?

Help. Need to make decision about this space very soon. Thanks in advance.

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:01 pm

Really depends on how and why it was submetered. Sometime for discount rates on electric heat, sometimes on rental properties. Might not be an issue at all. The only time we sub meter any more is for off-peak or duel fuel rates on heating. Check with your PC and make sure it's cool with them or hire an electrician to come take a look. He'll have the answer you're looking for.