Tascam X48 - What is your prediction?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

parlormusic
pushin' record

Tascam X48 - What is your prediction?

Post by parlormusic » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:21 am

I've been anxious to see how the X48 will do once it's out on the market and people start using them. It sounds like the perfect solution for me, but I hope those things work as intended without too many problems - ESPECIALLY after taking so darn long to release it!

What is your prediction? Will you buy one if all goes well? Anybody want to share inside info?
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:09 pm

I predict that by the time it's released, it will be obsolete! As with the 2488..! Spending so much time in developement with digital audio gear only leads to outdated chips, converters, etc. By the time they think they have it just right, another company have released something better in front of it! So much for releasing undeveloped ideals so far in advance. Just my thoughts'.... :roll:

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:00 am

I've been waiting for that damn thing to hit the market for like 3 years now... and I gotta say, fuck it, the Alesis HD-24 is stable, cheap, and more than just vapor-ware.

Makes me sad, but what can a guy do?

-J

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:58 am

snatchman wrote:I predict that by the time it's released, it will be obsolete! As with the 2488..! Spending so much time in developement with digital audio gear only leads to outdated chips, converters, etc. By the time they think they have it just right, another company have released something better in front of it! So much for releasing undeveloped ideals so far in advance. Just my thoughts'.... :roll:
You have a good point. I can only hope that this is one of the reasons that they keep delaying the release - that they're updating chips etc at the last moment.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:07 am

i read somewhere that they had to ask external people to develop the software, etc, hence the delay.

just curious..what do you guys expect to get from this? more stability, etc in relation to something PC/MAC based?

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:05 am

I know the studio here has that new console..3200 something or other. It's the one that's been on the back cover of Tape Op recently. They had a really hard time using it when it first came in. Huge learning curve from the 02R's they had before. Maybe that's why Tascam needs help in the software department. The MX 2424s would screw up also for the same studio here. This would happen especially when backing up and restoring a lot of projects. Trouble. I have not been entirely impressed with Tascam recently. Especially after that 24?? that everyone had that crashed all the time. It was discussed here a lot on TOMB. Sorry I can't remember exact model numbers of the Tascam crap I would never buy.
Last edited by getreel on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:08 am

This box seems to be more like a RADAR than an HD24- not only does it have its own DAW software, but it records in Broadcast Wave form.

One thing for sure- I doubt it would be cheap. Definitely geared for the true commercial studio than a basement hobby studio.

It will be very interesting how well this box does. Unless the converter quality is mindblowing, I doubt it's going to do very well.... you have plenty of competition on the low end (Mac/PC based DAWs, HD24, standalone units) and it will be hard to knock RADAR off the high end standalone, and the commercial juggernaut that is ProTools.

A little late, IMHO. It's like hitting a New Years Eve party around 4am....

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:18 am

kayagum wrote:I doubt it would be cheap. Definitely geared for the true commercial studio than a basement hobby studio.
MSRP = $4999

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:59 am

creature.of.habit wrote:i read somewhere that they had to ask external people to develop the software, etc, hence the delay.

just curious..what do you guys expect to get from this? more stability, etc in relation to something PC/MAC based?
I like the whole concept of having a stable unit (unlike PC, but much like a HD24) with editing/mixing capability (like a computer, unlike the HD24). Right now, I miss the extreme stability & ease of recording of the HD24 I got rig of last year. I replaced it with a PC based DAW so I can have automated mixing and editing capabilities. It's a trade-off that I wish I didn't have to have.

I guess that I could pick up a used Mackie HDR or something, but they're no longer in production which makes me weary.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:27 am

kayagum wrote:This box seems to be more like a RADAR than an HD24- not only does it have its own DAW software, but it records in Broadcast Wave form.
Hmmm.... Radar is basically a recorder, it doesnt do any internal mixing or effects like Tascam pretends their box will do someday.

I dont see the real draw of a box like this. Is it that it will record up to 48 channels? It seems more like a DAW with a proprietary OS/hardware or something. It doesnt have a control surface or the cool controller that RADAR has. In the end what will this do that a decent DAW setup on a well set up rack mounted computer do? Will existing plugins work with it?

The years of development that this thing have went through tell me one of two things, the software is a total mess and always will be, or that its super solid. I have my doubts on the latter, but I guess anything is possible. Personally, Id go the safe route and get a RADAR (or HD24)/analog setup or a Protools/Nuendo DAW system.

I might be wrong, maybe it will be a good box, but the wait is pretty suspicious. YMMV.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:23 pm

I really like Tascam products ( analog). I hope they have luck with this unit. But..putting out products and basically discontinuing them a year later kinda makes it hard to " trust' their efforts!... :? .... Shoot...it takes a year to really learn most gear!.... :lol:..They might have a shot at making it work "IF", they would have made this just a 48 track stand-alone recorder ( think Radar at the price they have listed this at), with great converters and analog circuit, low jitter clock, and left a lot of those feature off that most people will end up not needing anway. I think they are "shooting themselves in the foot" trying to make this thing a " kill 6 birds with one stone"...piece! (YMMV)

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:18 am

parlormusic wrote:I like the whole concept of having a stable unit (unlike PC, but much like a HD24) with editing/mixing capability (like a computer, unlike the HD24). Right now, I miss the extreme stability & ease of recording of the HD24 I got rig of last year. I replaced it with a PC based DAW so I can have automated mixing and editing capabilities. It's a trade-off that I wish I didn't have to have.

I guess that I could pick up a used Mackie HDR or something, but they're no longer in production which makes me weary.
i understand that..but then you won't be able to have those marvelous UAD plugs ;)

i'm half kidding i guess...idd like to go with a much more stable setup in the future as well, i'm even considering a good siab again, but i know i'll want those great plugs one day, and that makes me stray onto the computer still..sadly :/

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:27 am

creature.of.habit wrote:
parlormusic wrote:I like the whole concept of having a stable unit (unlike PC, but much like a HD24) with editing/mixing capability (like a computer, unlike the HD24). Right now, I miss the extreme stability & ease of recording of the HD24 I got rig of last year. I replaced it with a PC based DAW so I can have automated mixing and editing capabilities. It's a trade-off that I wish I didn't have to have.

i understand that..but then you won't be able to have those marvelous UAD plugs ;)

i'm half kidding i guess...idd like to go with a much more stable setup in the future as well, i'm even considering a good siab again, but i know i'll want those great plugs one day, and that makes me stray onto the computer still..sadly :/
I hear ya. I have a bunch of those UAD plugs. Imagine the X48 being able to use the UAD card? :D

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:46 am

The Mackie HDR is a recorder/editor. No mixing or effects, and only basic volume automation. However, I find it the best multi-track aditor I've had the pleasure of using, and the analog IO cards sound terrific with my console...

On-topic, the new Tascam unit looks interesting as it can be used as a standalone DAW or with a console. Whether the actually ship any apparently is quite the subject of debate, and the pricepoint is a little high for less, er, invested potential customers.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:52 am

parlormusic wrote:
I hear ya. I have a bunch of those UAD plugs. Imagine the X48 being able to use the UAD card? :D
you're an optimist ;)

i hope you're right, i'll never own this thing, but i think it would be kind of ignorant of tascam not to take that option seriously...