Studio Clock for HD3

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Studio Clock for HD3

Post by Huntlabs » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:35 pm

I've got a HD3 and I'm looking at adding a clock. I'm considering the Apogee Big Ben and the Mytek Studioclock 192 CX.

Anyone have any experience with the Mytek? I know the Apogee is killer.

Now I'm using the WC out from the 192 I/O to run my Octopre. I have an Apogee PSX100 that I could use, if I had more clock outs, but so far I'm not needing it.

Perhaps the converters on the 192 I/O box are enough and I should just save my money?

?
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:30 am

I still use the aarsync II. It has a clock out, and it has a clock X2 out. I have the X1 out hooked to one converter, and the X2 out connectd to the next converter down (both DIGI 192) so i can choose in software which I am using depending on sample rate. I tried the big ben, the rosendahl, and the aardsync II and I like the aardsync best. Simple, and worked well. I got it for less than the big ben, though price was not a huge factor in this case.

If you can find an aardsync II, it will probably be pretty cheap compared to the big ben at this point especially, and it works quite well. It has all the features I needed, including pull up/pull down at any sample rate (so does the big ben, but that is more money).

Just a suggestion... The big ben is good though, as you stated. I am sticking with my aardsync for the forseeable future...

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:06 am

Thanks for the info Joel....

www.CRACKERTONES.com

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:41 pm

depending on how bad you need it, you might wanna hold out to see what the scoop is with the black lion audio wordclock. when i called to setup an appointment for a mod, one of them mentioned it...dunno exactly when its out, supposed to be in the $500ish range (dont quote me on that though)

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:45 pm

That would be sweet. I'll try to wait!!! :)

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:36 pm

My system is running on a Lucid SSG clock generator although I also have the Sync I/O and I often wonder if that makes the Lucid is redundant. Both clocks work great and I can't say that I've ever noticed some phenomenal difference between them or the internal clocks on the consoles, but then again, I've really never been in any kind of mood to do a clock comparison. I suppose I could since my studio here is basically all-digital, but all the clocks are in pretty high-end components anyway.
The only thing that I know happens often is that I will occasionally pop open a PT session without changing the Lucid clock, so the internal clock on Sync takes over. Then when I eventually switch the Lucid clock over, PT slaves to that clock.

Honestly, I think that from the business investment perspective, it is probably a better idea to get the SYNC I/O from Digi before getting a master clock. My thinking is that SYNC really is a fine clock, and it is controlled directly from within PT, but most importantly, it adds more than just clock. You also pick up SMPTE, video sync (including super-imposing a clock window on composite video), MIDI timecode, AES clock, and a bunch of other stuff. With any other outboard clock, you're only adding a clock, and in the end you can't really advertise that to your clients or find a way to boost your income. But if you can sync to video and other formats, then a new branch of potential business opens up to you.

-Jeremy

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:47 pm

I would say since it sounds like you have only one digital device slaving the clock should be fine in the 192. Also like Professor says the Sync i/o would be the next step. It does more than just clocking. Giving you time code, 9pin etc...

In my set up with more than 20 different digital componants. Sync, 4 192s, DA98, Time Code Dat, Eventide Orville, Lexicon 960, TC System 6000, TC M3000, and 9 different Euphonix converter boxes having a master clock is a must. We went with a big ben and it did make an improvement. Opened things up. We are also using nano clocks as WC distro.

But being locked to picture on a regular basis, clocking is of utmost importance. Things need to time correctly.

Also the Aardsync II is a good option. I have one on a mix plus system with a USD, and 3 888/24 conected to a yamaha DM2000 console. Helps out a ton because none of these digital pieces are known for low jitter specs.

Mike

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:15 pm

I had not considered a Sync I/O box. I appreciate the suggestion. I'm a few months away from doing a recording project that will be sync'd to video.

For now I'm going to work with what I've got. The Octopre has been very prissy when I have it slaved to the 192. Sometimes it just doesn't want to work and I have to cycle it on and off. POS.

The sync I/O would be a good choice. It would allow me to work with video a whole lot better.

Thanks for the ideas.

:)

www.CRACKERTONES.com

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:20 pm

I'm also running HD3 and considering getting a Big Ben or some sort of master clock. Is it worth the money to upgrade to an external clock? A big difference in sound?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:46 pm

the riff wrote:I'm also running HD3 and considering getting a Big Ben or some sort of master clock. Is it worth the money to upgrade to an external clock? A big difference in sound?
It is A difference, though not a big one, unless you get into like 10 billion tracks.. then I always can tell right away when I am not clocked to the aardsync.

Even if empirical analysis proves that the jitter is WORSE when clocked outboard, i find the ensuing distortion (if that is what is happening) euphonic, and quite pleasing. I also feel like there is a depth and a separation in the mix that seems to go away when I clock internally.

I have read everything I could possibly find on this matter, and the final upshot is that I personally like the way my rig sounds when clocked to the aardsync, for no other reason than that, I bought the aardsync.

Try out a clock. If you dont like it better, then maybe it isnt....