Neumann U87 AI

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

red cross
buyin' gear

Neumann U87 AI

Post by red cross » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:35 pm

What an absolutely useless piece of overpriced shit. Has anybody found it useful for anything, ever?

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:06 pm

yeah, if you are working in the world of commercial audio it is an expected tool, whatever... that little purple badge has earned it's upkeep. I bought a mint U87 set on ebay for $1450.. and it has earned me lots of money doing VO sessions. I'm aware I'm perpetuating the dumb hype but I really don't care...I need to earn a living in a challenging career choice.

The number one use is voice over work Like I said. U87>focusrite red>Manley variMU = the standard pro VO sound, plain and simple. I don't use it much for music, but I like it for mono drum overhead and toms. Personally I like my Avanced Audio U47 peluso clone, the Mouse...or maybe the AT4047 better for most singers, but the U87 ai is far from a dog and it makes me happy that I own a classic, like a 57 it's just a staple. I would never pay full price, but for the price I paid (under $1450) I love the mic.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:47 am

The U87 is a great mic, the U87Ai is not.

I just got a Gold U87, one of only 300 made.

EDIT: didnt get the gold one. someone bought it right out from underneath me AAAARRRGGGHHH!
Last edited by joel hamilton on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:40 pm

Oooo gold fancy!
Yeah, the U87Ai seems to have a hotter output which even with a pad on distorts some of my pre's like the UA M610 which has no pad at the input, that combo is sort of un-useable, I imagine the original 87 would work better in alot of cases as it had a lower output and was a more poilte mic as I remember it, with the right pre (lots of headroom) the U87Ai works fine, not worth what they are asking but I still like it.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:24 am

The Blue Mouse is in my opinion the closest you'll get to the U87 vibe on the new market. The one I've had in the studio has been getting more use than the U67 and C12 clones lately. It's a thousand less too.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:35 am

Where is the best place to get a shock for the Mouse? I'd like to start using it more for voice, it gets alot of rumble though without the shock.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:49 am

nestle wrote:Where is the best place to get a shock for the Mouse? I'd like to start using it more for voice, it gets alot of rumble though without the shock.
Mine came with one. Contact Blue and I'm sure they'll hook you up.

From their Website:

We're happy to help answer any question you might have regarding any of our
products. You can contact us by either phone or email. Our business operating
hours are 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, PST, Monday through Friday.

Call us at 818-879-5200

Fax us at:

General Fax 818- 879-7258
Sales Fax 818-879-7259

Or email us at:
For general product information: support@bluemic.com
For Parts/Service/technical inquiries: service@bluemic.com

Blue Microphones
5706 Corsa Avenue, Suite 102
Westlake Village, CA 91362-4057

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:The Blue Mouse is in my opinion the closest you'll get to the U87 vibe on the new market. The one I've had in the studio has been getting more use than the U67 and C12 clones lately. It's a thousand less too.
I fully hear that. I like my mouse in the same places i used to put 87's. I like the mouse BETTER though.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:47 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I like my mouse in the same places i used to put 87's.
You know, I hadn't ever really thought about it that way, but me, too. The 87 seems like it may be a tad squishier-sounding, but they do work well in similar contexts.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:06 am

joel hamilton wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote:The Blue Mouse is in my opinion the closest you'll get to the U87 vibe on the new market. The one I've had in the studio has been getting more use than the U67 and C12 clones lately. It's a thousand less too.
I fully hear that. I like my mouse in the same places i used to put 87's. I like the mouse BETTER though.
People also seem to get sort of inspired to really sing when you put that mic in front of them too, they almost always go, "OOOOOOH, what's this?"

It seems to take really loud sources like a champ too, I use it FOK all the time and on a cranked twin about a foot out sometimes too.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:37 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:
People also seem to get sort of inspired to really sing when you put that mic in front of them too, they almost always go, "OOOOOOH, what's this?"

It seems to take really loud sources like a champ too, I use it FOK all the time and on a cranked twin about a foot out sometimes too.
yeah, my Latvian Mouse lives on the Bass amp, what a fantstic bass amp mic, I can't bare to take it off the bass amp every session and try it on something else it's so good.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:34 am

Anyone know if there have been different versions of the BLUE Mouse (aside from transformer/no transformer versions) over the years? Some people claim there have been 3 versions of the BLUE Baby Bottle sold over the years.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:41 pm

Meriphew wrote:Anyone know if there have been different versions of the BLUE Mouse (aside from transformer/no transformer versions) over the years? Some people claim there have been 3 versions of the BLUE Baby Bottle sold over the years.
good question, they look seriously different since production moved to the USA, enough that I wonder, sort of a pre CBS kinda thing. I have an earlier version of the Mouse and the Baby bottle. I like the baby bottle alot, it's very neutral sounding and honest..I've heard the later ones changed quite a bit, again the finish looks dubious now a days, you can get the serial numbers for the original BLUE mics over at that JZ or violet site or at least you could last year. I would check before buying used that you get one of the older ones..I did, my 2 cents.

valverec
gettin' sounds

Re: Neumann U87 AI

Post by valverec » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:09 am

red cross wrote:What an absolutely useless piece of overpriced shit. Has anybody found it useful for anything, ever?
I know, I remember my first experience with a u87ai. It was the most talked about and hyped mic at the time, and I was so excited to try one out. Then I put it on a male vocal and couldn't not believe how terrible it sounded. Then I put up a U47 and had bliss again...
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Got the gold one after all! psyched! only 300 made in the world.