Polarity of drum replacement...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Polarity of drum replacement...

Post by billiamwalker » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:42 am

Does the polarity of my replacement sample or "reinforcement" sample need to match my tracks? half of me says "no" because it's a totally difference hit so it will just be added as a layer but the other half says "yes" because it might cause some cancellation.

the reason i ask this because sometimes i try to add a deep, thick snare to reinforce a small sounding snare and it doesn't seem to add anything.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:15 am

Try reversing it. If it sounds better, then the answer is yes. If it doesn't, then the answer is no. This would totally be a case-by-case thing.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:36 am

cgarges wrote:Try reversing it. If it sounds better, then the answer is yes. If it doesn't, then the answer is no. This would totally be a case-by-case thing.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
well it'd be difficult just reversing it because wouldn't i have to reverse the actual sample manually because it wouldn't reverse my reversing the track recorded, or is there a setting in drumagog that allows me to flip the phase?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:43 am

If the sample comes up on its own channel in you program can't you reverse the polarity there? If it's on and insert then I'm not sure. I've never used a sample in my life.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:54 am

drumsound wrote:If the sample comes up on its own channel in you program can't you reverse the polarity there? If it's on and insert then I'm not sure. I've never used a sample in my life.
well the sample doesn't get opened into the program. the sample is played from the source file through drumagog. so i never see the sample..i jsut see the tracks i recorded. and whether i flip the polarity of my source or not..it's still going to be playing the same sample sound without it being reversed.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:24 am

billiamwalker wrote:well it'd be difficult just reversing it because wouldn't i have to reverse the actual sample manually because it wouldn't reverse my reversing the track recorded, or is there a setting in drumagog that allows me to flip the phase?
I have no idea how to use Drumagog and I don't know what your setup is like, but I still stand by my assertion that the answer can sometimes be yes and sometimes no. The only way to know for sure in whatever context you're talking about is to try it in that context. If it's too much of a pain to do, then choose not to do it and move on. If your music suffers as a result, it suffers. If it doesn't it doesn't. In either case, it won't really matter to the end listener because they'll never have a chance to compare it, either. But if it's important-enough to you to see if one is better than the other, then you need to try it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:25 am

Try reversing all of the drum tracks you actually recorded and keep the samples where they are. Or record the audio of the samples to their own tracks and reverse those.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:54 am

Drumagog does have a way to change the phase. It's actually variable.

Look under the output knob on the main page, there are two buttons: Level and phase. Press the phase button and turn the knob until it sounds right.

I think 'auto-align' will also help with phase issues, so try clicking that checkbox at the bottom.

As was already said, it will work differently on a case by case basis.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:23 pm

I think also depends on what DAW you are using Dramagog with. if you are trying to run it "live" it works nicely, but i find that i get better results in bouncing it down and then realigning the new track with the old track (as a reference). then again I'm running PTLE so there is no automatic latency compensation. maybe that is not an issue with other DAWs.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jegler
pluggin' in mics

Post by jegler » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:42 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:i get better results in bouncing it down and then realigning the new track with the old track (as a reference).

Mike
Are you time aligning or phase aligning?

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:18 am

jegler wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote:i get better results in bouncing it down and then realigning the new track with the old track (as a reference).

Mike
Are you time aligning or phase aligning?
Phase is time based. Unfortunately, the 'phase' switch on a mixer actually flips the polarity.
That confuses the two ideas.

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:41 pm

polarity is time based on a sine wave!
Werd.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:58 pm

Once you get your sample layed in, try nudging it- either by the sample or by less-than-millisecond increments. You'll be able to change the bottom end of the sound DRASTICALLY. Find a spot that sounds good to your ear.

There are no rules for this.