The New Valvotronics D-19 Tube D.I. / Mic Preamp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CZECH Music
audio school graduate

The New Valvotronics D-19 Tube D.I. / Mic Preamp

Post by CZECH Music » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:56 am

Hello everyone, Joel kindly invited us to post about our new Valvotronics D-19 Tube D.I. and Mic Preamp.

This is the same Award winning (E.M. and Tape Op) tube D.I. circuit from our Mk1 Tube D.I. (the grey metal box version) so many love and this time we added in a great Tube Mic Preamp that also sounds wonderful. All hand built like a tank in our new workshop in upstate NY in a cool Bronze metal flake 57' Chevy finish. It is a exceptional value.

Please feel free to check it out:
http://www.valvotronics.com/valvotronics/d19.php

We will be adding more photo's, PDF's, Sound clips, and more in the very near future. If you have any questions please contact us or post them. We look forward to hearing from you.

Mention your from Tape Op and receive free shipping in April.

Regards,
Robert Derby at Valvotronics / Czech Music
Last edited by CZECH Music on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:16 am

Cool. Any word on the new compressor? Is it a 1/2 rack space like your DI/Pre amp?
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

CZECH Music
audio school graduate

Post by CZECH Music » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:23 am

Coco wrote:Cool. Any word on the new compressor? Is it a 1/2 rack space like your DI/Pre amp?
Hello,

Yes, Single channel, 1/2 rack and can be ganged with another Gainryder 7 or D-19 for a full rack space. We will also have a vertical desk top stand kit for both modules soon.

Prototype board is working. Final design stages now. Summer/Fall 07' ETA

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:54 am

CZECH Music wrote:
Coco wrote:Cool. Any word on the new compressor? Is it a 1/2 rack space like your DI/Pre amp?
Hello,

Yes, Single channel, 1/2 rack and can be ganged with another Gainryder 7 or D-19 for a full rack space. We will also have a vertical desk top stand kit for both modules soon.

Yes. I was looking at the older Gainryder 3 specs on your site. How will the 7 differ? What kind of compression is it? 1/2 rack seems quite small to fit an optical type.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:22 am

Coco wrote:
CZECH Music wrote:
Coco wrote:Cool.Yes. I was looking at the older Gainryder 3 specs on your site. How will the 7 differ? What kind of compression is it? 1/2 rack seems quite small to fit an optical type.
The Voce compressors are tube optical type and they are 1/2 rack as well. They totally rock also... Dont be fooled by the size of the case/knobs...
The old valvotronics stuff is the only stuff I have used, and it is really good,.
I havent tried the new stuff...

CZECH Music
audio school graduate

Post by CZECH Music » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:13 am

Coco wrote:
CZECH Music wrote:
Hello,

Yes. I was looking at the older Gainryder 3 specs on your site. How will the 7 differ? What kind of compression is it? 1/2 rack seems quite small to fit an optical type.
Yes They are both Optical design. The Gainryder 7 will be smaller in size but actually do more than its larger brother! thanks to some some tricks we are doing this time. It will be Class A tube amplifier. It can have the same speed response as the Mk3 but also can go quicker than the 3. More details to come.

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:40 am

is the price listed on the site for one channel or is that for the stereo unit?

CZECH Music
audio school graduate

Post by CZECH Music » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:42 am

exit2studios wrote:is the price listed on the site for one channel or is that for the stereo unit?
The D-19 is $650 per channel, free shipping in April if your a Tape Op member.
http://www.valvotronics.com/valvotronics/d19.php
Thank you

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 pm

CZECH Music wrote:
Coco wrote:
CZECH Music wrote:
Hello,

Yes They are both Optical design. The Gainryder 7 will be smaller in size but actually do more than its larger brother! thanks to some some tricks we are doing this time. It will be Class A tube amplifier. It can have the same speed response as the Mk3 but also can go quicker than the 3. More details to come.
can you reveal what the street price of the gainryder 7 will be?
________
Rhode Island Medical Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CZECH Music
audio school graduate

Post by CZECH Music » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:04 pm

Were shooting for $875 for single channel, 2 channels for $1750 of Gainryder MK 7 direct from us.

The Gainryder 3's were $2500. We have developed a new detection circuit (custom optical element) that allows us not only to fit this into a 1/2 rack package at a lower price but allow both the slower speed of a Optical design AND the faster speeds of a typical VCA like compressor in this one Optical unit. We MAY also add a de-esser circuit if we can fit it in.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:19 pm

So does the mic pre have a gooey vintage vibe or more of a modern super hi-fi type thing happening?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:48 pm

CZECH Music wrote:

Were shooting for $875 for single channel, 2 channels for $1750 of Gainryder MK 7 direct from us.

The Gainryder 3's were $2500. We have developed a new detection circuit (custom optical element) that allows us not only to fit this into a 1/2 rack package at a lower price but allow both the slower speed of a Optical design AND the faster speeds of a typical VCA like compressor in this one Optical unit. We MAY also add a de-esser circuit if we can fit it in.
I would be WAY into a tube, optical de-esser!
Fo sho.

CZECH Music
audio school graduate

Post by CZECH Music » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:55 am

drumsound wrote:So does the mic pre have a gooey vintage vibe or more of a modern super hi-fi type thing happening?
Somewhere in between. Lets say near a more modern V72. But with enough smoothness and tube magic to make everyone happy.

Here is a quick user review and remember our 30 day return policy to anyone who wants to try one.

"Rob also builds equipment and he was nice enough to let me demo a D19 tube mic pre/d.i. to check out.

It's a half rack unit that has an attractive orange flake paintjob that's a real tube circuit not some cheap ass starved plate voltage made in china shit. As a di it brought out a smoothness in my crappy P bass knockoff that none of my other di's have done. There are 4 filter switches that you can adjust to alter the tone of things. The eq points are:

SWITCH 3: filter #1. Up is a notch at 11kHz; down is a notch at 6.5kHz. CENTER OFF.

SWITCH 4: filter #2. Up is a notch at 4.2kHz; down is a notch at 2.4kHz. CENTER OFF.

On acoustic guitar I tracked it against a chandler germanium and a universal audio 2108 and while they all have different tonal attributes the D19 sounded the most earthy and natural out of the three. The highs were just crisp enough for me yet nowhere near as aggressive sounding as the UA and more hi fi sounding than the Germanium.

On vocals it kills. period. Through a semi nice tube mic (Mojave MA-200) it was by far the smoothest of the 3 preamps, definitely the most natural sounding of them all and when stacked against 10 tracks or so of stuff sat in a mix like it owned it. You could also drive the output knob into some really nice tube distortion also if you were so inclined too.. sounded great driving a bass..

I think it's streeting somewhere around $700 and is totally worth it if for just vocal tracks alone, that it makes a great bass di and shines on acoustic instruments is total gravy.

Anyways I think it's awesome that there is a local dude building fantastic sounding equipment and fixing stuff on the cheap. Check them out..."

Justin Guerin, Boathouse Studio

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:44 pm

i have one of your tube amplified direct boxes, and i absolutely love it- the nicest DI for bass i've had the pleasure to use- very solid, and really great sounding. so, if this new gizmo is anything like it, i'll definitely be ordering one.

CZECH Music
audio school graduate

Post by CZECH Music » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:25 pm

lg wrote:i have one of your tube amplified direct boxes, and i absolutely love it- the nicest DI for bass i've had the pleasure to use- very solid, and really great sounding. so, if this new gizmo is anything like it, i'll definitely be ordering one.
Thanks for the comments. Yes the new D-19 has the same DI circuit from our Mk1 Tube DI you have, with the addition of a great tube mic Preamp. Feel free to contact me anytime.