telephone handset for lo-fi mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

littlepokey
alignin' 24-trk

telephone handset for lo-fi mic?

Post by littlepokey » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:21 pm

I have had occasion to use a lo-fi telephone type vocal sound in the past that I have achieved by using generous amounts of nasty EQ. It seems like it would be pretty slick to somehow have an actual old school telephone for a singer to sing through. Is there any obvious reason that I couldn't snip through a telephone handset cable, figure out which leads are coming from the transmitter and just slap a quarter inch plug on the end of it? Are there any weird preamp/impedance problems that come to mind? I realize that I should probably just try it since it s not a very expensive experiment to conduct, but.... any thoughts?

Thanks!

-m.
Michael-

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:27 pm

You need to have a DC voltage running through the handset to get it to work. I doubt it would work correctly with "modern" phones, but it used to be possible to just hook up two regular telephones in series with maybe 24 volts DC and talk back and forth. So maybe have a 9v battery feeding DC voltage to the phone, and a capacitor or transformer (passive DI?) to strip off the DC offset.

blakeq
audio school graduate

Post by blakeq » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Yep, you can actually pick up an old phone from Goodwill and do this. When I say old, thing rotary dial. This was featured in an old TapeOp issue. There is a band out of Seattle (Maktub) and the lead singer used to sing through one as a secondary mic.

RustyBrooks
gettin' sounds

Post by RustyBrooks » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 am

But does the typical "telephone sound" come from the actual handset itself, or the fact that telephone signals are bandwidth-limited to 8Khz?

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

telephone bandwidth

Post by Andy Peters » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:04 pm

RustyBrooks wrote:But does the typical "telephone sound" come from the actual handset itself, or the fact that telephone signals are bandwidth-limited to 8Khz?
it's worse than that -- 300 Hz to 3 kHz.

Neither high, nor fi, but it works for Bob Log III.

Of course, I think that Bob's sound comes from the helmet and the lack of oxygen as much as it comes from the telephone handset mic ...

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

RustyBrooks
gettin' sounds

Post by RustyBrooks » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:29 pm

You're right, 3khz is the cutoff. I was thinking of the rate for digital voice sampling, which is 64 Kbits (8 KB/s). The Nyquist sampling theorem means that they could theoretically cram up to 4Khz without aliasing into that but they cut it off at 3Khz.

RustyBrooks
gettin' sounds

Re: telephone bandwidth

Post by RustyBrooks » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:30 pm

Neither high, nor fi, but it works for Bob Log III.
Bob Law's Law Blog? Man I miss Arrested Development.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:53 pm

I've got an old German mic that never worked. Disassembling it, the capsule looked like an old carbon telephone receiver element. Is that the problem? It needs DC voltage to work? Could it be adapted for phantom power?

I made up a cable that hooked the shield and single conductor to a plug (don't recall now if it was TS or XLR) but it never made a sound. Now it's just sitting there looking funky.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

re: telephone bandwidth

Post by Andy Peters » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:20 pm

RustyBrooks wrote:You're right, 3khz is the cutoff. I was thinking of the rate for digital voice sampling, which is 64 Kbits (8 KB/s). The Nyquist sampling theorem means that they could theoretically cram up to 4Khz without aliasing into that but they cut it off at 3Khz.
They chose the telephone bandwidth decades before digital sampling ...

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

RustyBrooks
gettin' sounds

Post by RustyBrooks » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:38 pm

Yep. But they chose the digital sampling rate based on the bandwidth cutoff that was pre-existing.

However, I learned it digital first and analog later. So, when I think about it, I think about 64 Kb/s and thus 8KB/s.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:36 pm

They didn't choose 3k as a cutoff for the old phone systems - they figured out that if they got that much bandwidth they'd have a workable voice system. So all the technology tried for at least 3k, and of course 3k wasn't a sharp cutoff like a Nyquist filter anyway.

Later on when the phone companies started packing multiple voice channels into digital lines they would have added hard filters.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:00 am

Use the earpiece as the microphone element rather than the mouthpiece...

you will get what youre looking for.

notice what he's singing into in the picture!

taxirecs
pluggin' in mics

Re: telephone handset for lo-fi mic?

Post by taxirecs » Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 pm

This is a little different technique than you're trying, but it's a cool one, nonetheless.
I've had good results using an old cordless phone (not plugged into the phone jack, but charged up) and tuning a shortwave to the frequency that could pick up the signal- then set the phone mouthpiece next to your regular mic, mic the shortwave and you've got a wonderfully distorted take that cuts real nice on top of the "regular" sounding vocal.

brianroth
tinnitus

Re: telephone handset for lo-fi mic?

Post by brianroth » Tue May 08, 2007 1:50 pm

taxirecs wrote:This is a little different technique than you're trying, but it's a cool one, nonetheless.
I've had good results using an old cordless phone (not plugged into the phone jack, but charged up) and tuning a shortwave to the frequency that could pick up the signal- then set the phone mouthpiece next to your regular mic, mic the shortwave and you've got a wonderfully distorted take that cuts real nice on top of the "regular" sounding vocal.
My phone is on the 900 MHz or 1200 Mhz band, and my radio won't tune there. <g>

Great idea, however!

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue May 08, 2007 2:01 pm

What about using a bonafide old school handset like this...

I'm imagining a hollering screamo vocalist jumping around with a candlestick phone in their hand would provide for maximum vibe.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm