Multi-pattern LDC pair

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Multi-pattern LDC pair

Post by Jeff White » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:58 am

I've had a single AKG414 B/ULS for the past four years. I see B/ULS 414s on eBay all the time for $550-$700, though I bought mine used for $400 and am no longer certain that this is what I want. I am under the assumption that since this mic has gone through so many variations over the years that finding a second that will match it is going to be tough. (Why won't folks give serial numbers?) I believe that mine is from 1993.

Anyway, I'm thinking about purchasing a different pair of multi-pattern LDCs and I am curious about what folks are using and opinions about how they sound.

???

Jeff

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 pm

I have a single AT 4050, and man... it's a great sounding mic. Though I've never had a 414, so I'm not sure how comparable they are in sound quality, though they are slightly less costly. They have the same patterns as a 414.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:08 pm

I've got a single 4050, and a single B-ULS...both cool mic's. If I wanted one pair of multi-pattern LDC's, I'd probably give the slight edge to the 4050's, though I'd be perfectly content with either.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:16 pm

I do so love my pair of M-audio Solaris mics, and they are stupid inexpensive.
Everything louder than everything else.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:22 pm

I guess my... fear... concerning a second AKG 414 B/ULS is that I have heard stories of inconsistant levels concerning 414s made yrs apart.

I did not want to mention the AT4050, as it is a mic that I have been considering. I've owned a 4047sv for longer than the 414 and the 4047 is definitely the winner on a lot of things. I like the AT build quality. And the 4047 makes an amazing kick drum mic. I almost bought the pair of 4050s that were for sale here on TOMB a few weeks back. $600. Funny, but if I went with a pair of the 4050s I could sell my 414B/ULS and almost pay for them in full (if I decide to sell it post A/B comparison). Anyway, I am sure that I will be as happy with a 4050 as I have been with the 4047. Different beasts (I have heard), though similar quality. Speaking of the 4047, I have considered a pair of them. However, I use mine for kick drum and I am looking for a pair of LDCs with multi-patterns for room, above the kit, etc.

I am also planning on purchasing a pair of omni capsules for my Oktava (Russian) MK012s. I like my 012s for acoustic guitar and over the kit, though I feel that omni will cover more ground and that I'll like it better. Perhaps the omni 012s above the kit and the 414 out in front will sound good? One problem, however, if RF interference that the 012s tend to pick up during long cable runs.

Also, my mic preamps (in case this is what you have paired with certain mics):
?Sytek MPX-4Aii (BB 3&4)
?Presonus MP20 (BB mod, soon to have Jensens)
?Black Lion 828mk2 modded preamps
?Symetrix SX202 stock (arrived today, still need to check out!)
?EHX 12AY7

anyway, blabbering over here... keep them coming!

Jeff

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:28 pm

I have a pair of 414s and a pair of 4050s and my 4050s see much more use. In fact, I am using them on guitar amps right now in figure-eight. Fantastic mics, those.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 pm

I've got a pair of 4050s that have been somewhere on probably 80-90% of the projects I've done.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:40 am

cgarges wrote:I have a pair of 414s and a pair of 4050s and my 4050s see much more use. In fact, I am using them on guitar amps right now in figure-eight. Fantastic mics, those.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Hey Chris, is there anything that you specifically choose your 414B/ULS pair on over the AT4050s???

Also, did you folks purchase consecutive serial numbers, mics from the same batch, or randomly paired AT4050s? Is there any noticable difference between your mics when used as a stereo pair? I understand that when recording rock stuff it isn't necessary to have a perfectly matched pair, but I'm hoping to branch out and would like my flagship stereo pair to be well matched.

Thanks for the insight!

Jeff

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:18 am

+1 on the 4050's. I have a pair, purchased seperately. don't hear a difference, but i haven't set 'em up to do a specific A/B dealio.

good luck jeff!
Jon

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:00 pm

[quote="ipressrecordHey Chris, is there anything that you specifically choose your 414B/ULS pair on over the AT4050s???[/quote]

Drum overheads. For some reason, the 4050s just don't do it for me on drum overheads. I can't tell say why, it's just some sort of intangible thing where I'm never as happy with them on overheads as other stuff. ON individual instruments, sometimes the 414 is more "right" for a vocalist or a kick drum or as a room mic or whatever, but my 4050s generally see FAR more use.

The 4050s don't have specific serial numbers that are visible. (Perhaps there are some in side or something, but nt that I know of.) About a year ago, I tested like 4 of them purchased at separate times and they all sounded EXTREMELY close. They're very consistent.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:03 am

cgarges wrote:
ipressrecord wrote: Hey Chris, is there anything that you specifically choose your 414B/ULS pair on over the AT4050s???
Drum overheads. For some reason, the 4050s just don't do it for me on drum overheads. I can't tell say why, it's just some sort of intangible thing where I'm never as happy with them on overheads as other stuff. ON individual instruments, sometimes the 414 is more "right" for a vocalist or a kick drum or as a room mic or whatever, but my 4050s generally see FAR more use.
This is good info, thanks. One of the main reasons that I want a LDC Multi pair is for drum overheads. Are your 414 B/ULS mics a matched pair? same year? Curious. Have you run into the problem that I mentioned regarding big differences between B/ULS mics made at different times?

Alsois there a way to trace serial numbers to year with AKG without contacting AKG?
cgarges wrote:The 4050s don't have specific serial numbers that are visible. (Perhaps there are some in side or something, but nt that I know of.) About a year ago, I tested like 4 of them purchased at separate times and they all sounded EXTREMELY close. They're very consistent.
This is good to know. I'm going to look for deals and pick them up separately, then.

Perhaps a pair of each is the way to go! :D

Jeff

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:14 am

has anyone compared the 4050's w/ shure KSM44's at all? i've never used a 4050, but have worked with a pair of 44's in the past and thought they sounded really nice. since the 4050s are cheaper i'd be interested to hear a comparison.

-ryan

p.s., it relation to the thread topic, check into the 44s. they're nice mics.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:24 am

My fav LDC, multi-pattern mics are Gefell UM70. Pricey, but awesome.

I've been on the hunt for a single, multi-pattern LDC for mono room mic/utilty use. I've pondered the Shure KSM 44 or the AT 4050.

Damn, I've even thought of the modded Oktava 219 for toms lately as well, but I've never tried them out before.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Post by LVC_Jeff » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:26 pm

I've used two KSM32s in a stereo configuration before and that sounded great, though they aren't multipattern. The 44s are, and I've heard a single one, it sounds amazing. Two of those in Blumlein are probably sweet as hell.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

hughindigo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by hughindigo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:18 pm

0-it-hz wrote:I do so love my pair of M-audio Solaris mics, and they are stupid inexpensive.
I'm a big fan of my one Solaris and am thinking about picking up a second. I don't think they get as much love as they should. M-audio gear kind of has a stigma attatched to it...