Altec / Peerless line transformers ???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Altec / Peerless line transformers ???

Post by FlowersForHuman » Wed May 02, 2007 10:07 am

Hi, I have been looking at some old altec preamps, partictularly the 1589b mixer types, and am a bit confused as to how they are used in combination with their transformers. I noticed that many of these old units have open 8-pin "plug and play(??)" slots for transformers, and that the 1589b's tend to use the Red, Peerless 15095a types. I have also noticed other altec models have green tranformers labeld "microphone transformer" or something like that.

If one of these 1589b units has one red transformer and an empty slot next to it, wouldnt that mean that only one of the preamps was usable? And would that mean that it is set us as a line mixer and not a mic preamp?

And, can anyone explain a little more history or background on how/whether or not these different transformers can be swapped for use in other applications like as line level mixers vs mic pre's, etc?

much appreciated

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed May 02, 2007 6:44 pm

I think your pretty much right..

they are octal "plug and play" as you say transformers..the red is line and the green is mic, i.e., you don't have a green your not amping up a mic level signal..

I think for every mic pre channel you need one green for the input and one red for the output..I think it's that way on my 1566a at least..

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Wed May 02, 2007 9:25 pm

I have to wonder now after a bit more research if I need one of the 1588 series PREAMPS rather than just the 4722 transformer. I can't find any info anywhere on whether or not the green 4722 transformers and 1588s are interchangable. Sheesh.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed May 02, 2007 11:46 pm

FlowersForHuman wrote:I have to wonder now after a bit more research if I need one of the 1588 series PREAMPS rather than just the 4722 transformer. I can't find any info anywhere on whether or not the green 4722 transformers and 1588s are interchangable. Sheesh.
Check this thread over at The Lab:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3345

Feedback
ass engineer

Post by Feedback » Thu May 03, 2007 9:20 am

I was just going to tell you to head over to the Prodigy site but I see someone beat me to it. And, they turned you onto my thread...I am "crash" over there and on most forums, someone beat me to my usual handle here. I had all the same questions you did. If you decide to get the green 4722 can, don't pay more than $40.00 or so for it. I have seen them go for stupid money on E-bay but as you can see, they can be had for much less.

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Thu May 03, 2007 10:13 am

So i finally found a downloadable manual and figured out whats going on. I kinda already knew this stuff but it was worth the piece of mind to get the manual. Thanks for the help guys.

I went ahead and posted it online b/c $20 was a bit steep

http://www.exemplaryrecords.com/altec1589bmanual.pdf

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu May 03, 2007 5:56 pm

FlowersForHuman wrote:So i finally found a downloadable manual and figured out whats going on. I kinda already knew this stuff but it was worth the piece of mind to get the manual. Thanks for the help guys.

I went ahead and posted it online b/c $20 was a bit steep

http://www.exemplaryrecords.com/altec1589bmanual.pdf
Thanks for posting that, but always ask here before you buy a manual. Somebody will often have what you need. In this case I have a copy I could have sent you for nothing.

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Fri May 04, 2007 12:49 am

Yeah I figured as much, but I got impatient. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it!