who knows about Neptune Electronics?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Smitty
tinnitus

who knows about Neptune Electronics?

Post by Smitty » Sat May 26, 2007 3:36 pm

so i just scored a funky little mixer on the 'bay.

i like that it has direct preamp outs on every channel, that it appears to have some fun reverb options built in, and frankly i love the way it looks. oh, and the price was ok too. :wink:

i googled Neptune Electronics and came up empty handed. there's been the occasional other piece of gear by them on the 'bay, but i can't find any info on the company or the unit itself.

anybody know anything about where this thing might have come from or it's pedigree?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat May 26, 2007 8:20 pm

I remember seeing Neptune stuff around in the late 70s/early 80s(?). They had larger boards too, and spring reverb IIRC. Try also searching for "NEI", which is what they went by later.

This site says they have schematics and the manual.

Velcrocore
ass engineer

Post by Velcrocore » Sun May 27, 2007 7:01 pm

Nice. I have a mono 6 channel Neptune mixer. Used the preamps for drums a lot. They have some sort of limiting built in, when cranked up.

I found out that it was built here in Portland, OR.

How much did you pay for it?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:37 pm

1 dollar, plus shipping.

bad news, though... it powers up, but try as i might i can't get it to pass signal. tried every XLR and line in. nothing.

i took it apart enough to peek inside and the inside is immaculate and clean. hard to take apart completely because of how the reverb tank is screwed to both the circuit board AND the chassis.

my extremely uneducated guess would be that it needs some new caps, so it looks like i need to move this over to DIY to get some advice and try not to get 'lectrocuted.

(velcro, i was totally going to sell this off cheap as a project to someone, but i missed your post until just now and am kind of intrigued by the limiting... i did buy this for the character pres, after all. now i kind of feel obligated to hear what it sounds like.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:09 pm

Well if it powers up and you get no audio output, start snooping from the output frontward. See if the individual channels are working with an audio probe of some sort. It might just be one silly little problem with the summing amp that's killing the output.

Roger

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:04 am

i'm on dangerously thin ice here, knowledge-wise, BUT...

i think the problem is happening before the summing amp, because i can't get a signal from any of the direct preamp outs either... and those signals would be pre-summing amp, correct?

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:31 am

Sounds like it could be a power supply problem.

CA

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:36 am

thanks for the input! i'll be taking it apart and putting some pics of the insides up as the next step.

to avoid parallel conversations and to keep things in the right forum, i've got a thread going over here in DIY.