Defecting from ProTools.. Which program now?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Defecting from ProTools.. Which program now?

Post by cactus » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:22 am

Moving on from ProTools - too dissatisfied with hardware options - need more ADAT I/O.

So which software do I go for now? I love the flow of PT, internal routing, auxes, busses, grid mode, multi tool...

I don't need any advanced MIDI stuff.

What are y'all using?
Thanks

radical recording
alignin' 24-trk

Post by radical recording » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:53 am

I've been extremely satisfied with Sonar for years now. Currently using version 6. Its easy to use, flexible routing, tons of great plugins, ASIO support and easy to use MIDI if you need it (I hardly ever use it.)

I'm able to record 48 channels at one time with low latency and no dropouts. Some projects hit over a hundred tracks and it chugs along nicely with no problems. Mixing is easy, although I hardly ever mix "in the box"--I run back out through a Steinberg ADAT card into a Behringer digital mixer--but when I have mixed "in the box" its been easy and fun.

I've also noticed that wave files played in Sonar sound fuller and more lifelike than the same files played back in Ableton Live or Acid or Reason.

I have heard good things about Nuendo but haven't tried it out.

Hope that helps.
"Caution: I drive worse than you!"

http://www.radicalrecording.com/
http://roypeak.com/

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:14 am

I can only speak for Cubase as that what I use, but it rules! Very simple and intuitive, I believe the routing is very similiar to PT also. As an added bonus, I had Cubase and PT M-powered on the same machine and Cubase was rougly 25% more efficient on the same session, with the same waves plugs on the same computer, so you may get a little boost in horsepower.

Cubase 4 is taken over the Nuendo functions for music and has an entire control room environment with separate headphone mixes and the whole shebang. I mainly only use it for only for audio and it's a really nice program. Goes up to 96 sample rate, full surround, etc.

Only thing missing is the beat detective/tab to transient thing, which you can work around etc. But if you have LE, you only had it on one channel anyway and probably won't miss it.

Unfortunately, you can't really demo it, but it (like all the other programs) has all the stuff that they rip out of PT LE and M-powered.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:33 am

If your using a PC give Reaper a try (I guess a Mac version is in the works shortly). The demo is uncrippled and its seems like a cool little program for not a lot of money.

If your looking for more ADAT I/O and like Protools, then maybe the Profire Lightbridge and M-Powered would be a good compromise?

vier-personen
gettin' sounds

Post by vier-personen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:50 pm

If you?re on a mac, you could give Digital Performer a try. there?s no demo, so you have to find a friend or a shop that let?s you look at the software.
there?s a crossgrade available if you have protools...

I was looking for a protools-like software myself, and am quite happy with DP 5.

you could ask over at unicornation.com, there is a lot of helpful people there that I?m sure will answer every question you have about DP (just don?t ask for a pdf manual ; )

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:12 pm

Steinberg Nuendo or Cubase 4. They are essentially the same. I use Nuendo and pro tools when I need to. Couldn't be happier.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:27 pm

You might consider Samplitude as well. The mixer's similar to Pro Tools' and it has a ton of options. Pretty steep learning curve, but everyone I know who uses it loves it.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:48 pm

I can only speak for Cubase as that what I use, but it rules! Very simple and intuitive, I believe the routing is very similiar to PT also.
I don't think the routing in Cubase and PT are similar at all. I think PT's routing is a lot simpler and makes more sense. And this is speaking as someone who's used Cubase/Nuendo for over a decade and just recently started using PT more often.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:44 pm

+1 for Sonar, I tried all the above FWIW. YMMV and all that.

Check out the Cakewalk message board, great resource there.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:59 pm

I stand corrected. I have only used PT a few times but I didn't see that much differences in the routing. But once again, I have only used it a few times in a cursory fashion.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

beef_wellington
audio school graduate

Post by beef_wellington » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:15 pm

I'll put a vote in for Digital Performer. Audio editing is superb...like PT.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:39 pm

I'll second Samplitude. It takes a while to learn your way around it, but it's very versatile and has some nice built in plugs, like compression. I've heard it gets used for mastering-- that says something for the quality.

thedreampolice
audio school

Post by thedreampolice » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:55 pm

I love both Samplitude and Nuendo! Both are great choices.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:32 pm

thedreampolice wrote:I love both Samplitude and Nuendo! Both are great choices.
How do you pronounce "Nuendo", anyway? Is it "new-end-o"? I always pronounce it (in my head-- I don't think I've ever talked about this stuff out loud) like it was a spanish word... "NWAYNE-dough". (That's Wayne as in "Wayne's world".)

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:17 pm

I know I'm in the minority, but Sony/Sonic Foundry Vegas is super-stable and frying-pan-to-the-face simple. A few sessions ago, a band's DRUMMER even learned it on the fly, and was constantly taking the mouse from my hands to illustrate what he wanted.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."