De-esser recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kinger
steve albini likes it

De-esser recommendations?

Post by kinger » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:06 am

Hullo all! I'm looking for a cheap hardware de-esser (rackmount preferred) and am wondering if anyone can recommend anything. If not, maybe someone can recommend a good plastic surgeon in the Lunenburg area who could make me less spitty...

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:27 am

i like the dbx 263x. it's easy to use and does the job. i like using it to tame hi-hats as well. those hard hitting, sloshy hi-hat players.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:25 am

orban 536.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:32 am

formzero wrote:i like the dbx 263x. it's easy to use and does the job. i like using it to tame hi-hats as well. those hard hitting, sloshy hi-hat players.
I second the 263x, it's a great little de-esser and harshness tamer. It also works as a pretty cool soft knee dbx compressor in broadband mode...

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:41 am

Thanks for the replys! It looks like the trick now will be to find one of those two as eBay is coming up dry...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:05 pm

dbx 902 is/was an industry standard.

I must say though, as far as plugins go, any digital de-esser seems to work way better than those analog outboard counter-parts. Same holds true for noise gates.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:26 am

@?,*???&? wrote:dbx 902 is/was an industry standard.

I must say though, as far as plugins go, any digital de-esser seems to work way better than those analog outboard counter-parts. Same holds true for noise gates.

I have to respectfully disagree on the De-Essers. Gates, I am with you since we can do look-ahead, but I have never been able to get a software de-esser to work as well as the DBX units. I have the Waves D-Esser, the Waves Renaissance de-esser the SPL De-esser, the Spitfish de-esser, and now the one that comes with Samplitude, and none of them seem to work as transparently or as easily as my hardware unit.

Obviously, YMMV.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:27 pm

Multiple units works better than one unit for me.

Like the waves de-ess or the RenDeess into an orban 536 or a sidechained something or other.

The waves thing is good, the 902 is good, the 536 is good, the 263... but together, any two can be perfect.

I dont like any one thing to have to work too hard for de-essing. de-essers are not something I need character from, so a couple in line will let me get the sss's under control without making a track lose its sparkle...