Neumann M147 vs. M-Audio Sputnik?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Neumann M147 vs. M-Audio Sputnik?

Post by mikeyc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:47 am

Does anyone have experience with both of these mics?

I've been pondering the purchase of a Sputnik in the next few months, but I've been presented an opportunity to buy a used M147 for the same price (sounds goofy I know-- It may be BS, I'll find out tomorrow.).
I've used and really enjoyed a 147, but I'd be really stretched thin to buy it right now, as opposed to giving myself some time to save up for a Sputnik (I have a wife and daughter to consider). I've heard great things about the Sputnik, but I've never used one.

Of course I could just buy the 147 and flip it and pay for the Sputnik...

What do you folks think? Would the Neumann be worth the pain, or is the Sputnik just too kick-ass to pass up regardless of price? How cool is the Sputnik?

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:07 am

I used a Sputnik once, but it was being used as an overhead of a drumkit. The kit had 8 mics on it, and that day we were shooting out preamps, so I wasn't really zeroing in on the mics as much as the pres. I find M-Audio's microphones in general lack the kind of zeal I'm looking for.

I used to be in audio sales and the Studio Projects C1 is a $200 mic that killed MANY sales when people would come in wanting to try out a U87. They would go back and forth between listening to the C1 and U87 and leave in frustration because the $200 mic sound sooo much like the $2000 mic. I know, these are not tube mics, but as an example of a cheap mic competing with a expensive this comes to mind every time.

I would get the Neumann if I were you. My studiomate just bought a new pair of 184s and they are heavenly to have around. We used the R0DE NT5's for years, and they were a great value for the money, but man! A real Neumann really fucking steps up to the plate.

tweedclassic
ass engineer

Post by tweedclassic » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:29 pm

sputnik.... i recently mixed a project where it was the mic used on all the vocals and let me tell you i am not a fan. friend of mine owns one as well and we tried it on guitar one day didn't really do much for me. could be a good mic but i haven't found a good use for it yet... best of luck with your decision
Cheers R.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:35 pm

The project I heard a lot of 147 on left me with the impression that it has good low end, but on that particular female vocalist it sounded like she had a blanket over her head. Not bad on upright bass, though it didn't really change my life in that application either.

I've never heard "Sputnik"

mrdibs
gettin' sounds

Post by mrdibs » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:32 am

Don't be a fool, man! Take the Neumann! The difference between pro and semi-pro. The 147 isn't the greatest mic they ever put out, but it's ultimately very usable. I would NEVER describe it in my use as sounding like it had a blanket over it. I actually think it has an unusually open top end (but not brittle at all).

Just my opinion...

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:15 am

I second this. The Neumann is an opportunity that will not come by again, but you can always pick up a sputnik.
mrdibs wrote:Don't be a fool, man! Take the Neumann! The difference between pro and semi-pro. The 147 isn't the greatest mic they ever put out, but it's ultimately very usable. I would NEVER describe it in my use as sounding like it had a blanket over it. I actually think it has an unusually open top end (but not brittle at all).

Just my opinion...

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:31 pm

I agree that the Neumann is a great opportunity, but is it so great that it would be worth the financial pinch on my family?
That's what I'm trying to determine. Is the 147 that much better than the Sputnik, or would it just be buying the Neumann tag over the M-Audio tag? I'm kind of over the brand name status thing, and if it means my wife and I are going to stress over paying bills, I'd rather put it off and a pick up a more stress-free tube mic later on...

eh.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:33 pm

mikeyc wrote:I agree that the Neumann is a great opportunity, but is it so great that it would be worth the financial pinch on my family?
That's what I'm trying to determine. Is the 147 that much better than the Sputnik, or would it just be buying the Neumann tag over the M-Audio tag? I'm kind of over the brand name status thing, and if it means my wife and I are going to stress over paying bills, I'd rather put it off and a pick up a more stress-free tube mic later on...

eh.
If they are the same price.. buy the neumann and resell it for more if you don't like it.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:38 pm

mikeyc wrote:I agree that the Neumann is a great opportunity, but is it so great that it would be worth the financial pinch on my family?

eh.
Dude, only you can make the call if buying a mic is worth the financial pinch on your family.

Brand names in pro audio do mean something. It's not just an alligator on a shirt...

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:46 pm

There's a lot to be said for an alligator on a shirt, even more for a hippopotamus.
Brand names in pro audio do mean something. It's not just an alligator on a shirt...

mrdibs
gettin' sounds

Post by mrdibs » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:45 am

The other thing to keep in mind is RESALE VALUE. The Spitoon will have NONE while you'll always be able at least break even on the 147.
Last edited by mrdibs on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vier-personen
gettin' sounds

Post by vier-personen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:46 am

mrdibs wrote:The other thing to keep in mind is RESALE VALUE. The Spitoon will have NONE while you'll alway be able at least break even on the 147.
+1

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

Buy the Neumann

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:50 am

Buy the Neumann, the financial stress will only last a short time but the mic will last a lifetime. If you take good care of it, it is just like having some extra cash in the bank except you get to enjoy it. The Sputnik might be a good mic but no match in long term value or pleasure.
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:56 am

Erm. A Sputnik or a 147 for the SAME price? It's a no brainer, bud.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:26 am

a few things to consider:

a) Like it or not, most artists / clients often know only two words in studio gear: Neve and Neumann. That can help attract gigs for you.

b) The resale value of a neumann will remain pretty consistent. m-audio gear plummets upon purchase.

c) that's a crazy good deal for a neumann

d) the neumann is a really good sounding microphone for many applications.

e) credit cards exist for a good reason (not just to keep you in debt forever)... consider this an investment in your future...

i'd go for the neumann.