Sony?s Hells Kitchen to close

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Sony?s Hells Kitchen to close

Post by vibesof20hz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:44 pm

Sony is also feeling the squeeze. The building is going to be turned into a luxury hotel. Does this whole trend discourage any of you guys?

Article for your interest:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyo ... 0717.story

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:02 pm

That place was incredibly expensive and unfriendly. For a 'big studio' they didn't have much of a maintanance crew. They did have "The Sony Humidor" and "The Sony Wine Cellar". Its not like losing RCA or A & R or Media Sound or even the Hit Factory (a few studios lost to real estate in NYC)

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:18 pm

That's the old Camera Mart film stage. A barn, really, not a purpose-built studio.

mrdibs
gettin' sounds

Post by mrdibs » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:00 pm

No vibe whatsoever. I always hated working there. I guess Avatar is the last one standing in that hood.

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:52 pm

I heard that Avatar was closing as well, but thats just by word of mouth...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Sony?s Hells Kitchen to close

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:15 am

vibesof20hz wrote:Sony is also feeling the squeeze. The building is going to be turned into a luxury hotel. Does this whole trend discourage any of you guys?

Article for your interest:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyo ... 0717.story
No. The whole industry is crashing and burning around us. Through letting the everyman in on a mass scale, it has lost it's value and meaning. It's going to turn in to a class war. Those 'with' experience vs. those 'without'. The problem is from a Los Angeles or New York perspective, the professional side of the industry is extremely competitive. The dinosaurs who've been doing this for so many years getting paid stupid (way too much) amounts of money to do so are not adapting well. They have done little to share the knowledge or devise a new direction to maintain their existance. One potential business model for studios could be on an educational level. The huge studios with mega-overhead specialize in only one thing. Can you imagine Allen Sides teaching out of Ocean Way with his fabulous mic collection? How incredible! How useful! It will never happen.

As a working professional, I have around 7 different sources of income because in todays climate, 1 is simply not enough anymore.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:29 pm

It was like a warehouse/filmstage....massive. Whenever they'd want to get into a new line of business (i.e. mastering) they'd throw gobs of money at it because they could. Sony (parent) is a totally arrogant company and has done so much more harm than good over the last two decades.

I'm sure there were nice folks that worked there though who deserve better