Deltalab Super Time Line delay

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Deltalab Super Time Line delay

Post by Rodgre » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:43 pm

I've had a dead Deltalab Super Time Line digital delay for years and so far the only purpose it has had is to give up one of it's knobs to Inverseroom. :)

Anyway, I pulled it out of storage to take another ten-minute stab at seeing what it's problem is and I'm still baffled. I've replaced the memory battery years ago and it's still putting out 5 VDC, but that's only for the memory anyway.

I get signal at the op-amp closest to the input jack, and I get signal at the input level pot on one leg, but nowhere else. I also seem to be getting a varying voltage that changes with the rate control on what I assume is the LFO op-amp near the modulation controls.

Does anyone have a schematic or service manual for this beast? I figure I might as well ask, even though it will probably be 2010 by the time I have another ten minutes of workbench time to devote to it.

I love early digital delays, and I make good use of a couple of Korg SDD-2000s and an Effectron II at the Lounge. I'm very curious about the envelope-controlled delay time on this puppy.

While I'm here.... I also have a Compueffectron CE-1700 that I bought in the mid-90s and have barely used. Anyone a fan of this box? What do you like about it? I thought it sounded decent enough, but the membrane switches and inability to quickly set it (and not understanding when I can and can't use modulation on it) made it a bigger PITA to use than the other delays I have.

Thanks.
Roger

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 pm

I had a compueffectron for years. I like the way it sounds, but it IS a PITA for sure setup wise...

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:59 pm

I had one too. I sold it because it was so crazy.
Right after I sold it I read that Tony Visconti was really into using that box on Bowie's voice (most notably on scary monsters). I think he used it on the drums for weird effects too.
I was so bummed that I didn't spend more time with it after I read that.
Love my effectron II. Use it all the time. Noisy bastard though.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Schematic here for $10.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:31 pm

Huge Deltalab fan here. I own three Effectrons and two other Deltalab delay boxes. I finally just had to stop, although if I find a good deal on one of those harmonizers or that ADM 4000-something, I'm gonna have to pick them up. I've been mixing a record this past week and used all three Effectrons on almost every song.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:53 am

Mine didn't seem to be working for about a year, and I had put it in the "fix someday" pile...until, while moving, I noticed that I had bumped the weird little input level pot on the back, so that no sound was getting in. Turned that up, now it works perfectly.

I don't imagine you're quite that dumb, but it was worth mentioning!

Your knob is functioning perfectly. :wink:

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:26 pm

hey Rodgre,

Any luck tracking down a service manual?

I just acquired an ADM 512, which is not working and showing significant corrosion from a leaky memory battery. Actually, it passes signal, but has no delay - even at 100% wet signal, it's still just passing the input signal. Weird. The power supply seems to be OK (nice that the 5 different voltages are printed right on the circuit board), even though that's the section hit hardest by the corrosion.

From what you're describing, one thing you might look at is the 4053 chips. They are electronic switches - so if your signal is just stopping somewhere along the line, it could be hitting a switch IC that's either blown or not being fed the correct control signal.

Along those lines I'll be checking the wet/dry mix control on mine, to see if that's being doing electronically as well, and if it's suffering from faulty control signals. The wet/dry mix circuitry is also right next to the leaky battery, so it's definitely suspect...

Someone over on Gearslutz is looking for an ADM schematic as well, and they report difficulty in ordering one from one of the 3rd party dealers.

cheers,
Leigh

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:02 pm

I still love my effectron II... the 1024. That is still my favorite one of all. As long as it says deltalab and it has a clip light, I am into it... ;)

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Re: Deltalab Super Time Line delay

Post by sonicmook56 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Rodgre wrote: I get signal at the op-amp closest to the input jack, and I get signal at the input level pot on one leg, but nowhere else.
what happens if you jumper the input leg of the pot to the output leg of the pot?

Maybe your pot is fucked up.

One thing to try is to Isolate the output of the pot from the next gain stage and see if you get a predictable output. If you do, it could be a bad cap, or op-amp/cmos somewhere.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:13 pm

i have the 2 second Super Time-Line (ADM2048) and love it.

had it open recently to make sure the battery wasn't spewing death all over the board and ever since then the repeats have been a bit fizzy...dammit! :x

i'm hoping it's just a bad cable or plug or some dirt.

anyway, it's totally worth fixing.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:07 pm

Deltalab never published any schematics or service manuals for any of their products. When the company went under, so did the service documents.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:13 pm

The Real MC wrote:Deltalab never published any schematics or service manuals for any of their products. When the company went under, so did the service documents.
Well, this place, for one, claims to have schems for all the models:

http://www.gourmetpa.com/d.html

Unfortunately, according to the Gearslutz thread I posted above, they've been unresponsive for a couple months. I might try them this week, and see what's up.

Leigh

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:54 pm

I found schematics for ADM 1024 somewhere on the web.... There out there somewhere.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:21 pm

?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:11 pm

Thanks for that! While different in some respects than the "Super Time Line" ADM 512/2048, it's helpful to see the basic circuit layout on paper.

Leigh