opinions on tele pickups

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Masks!
alignin' 24-trk

opinions on tele pickups

Post by Masks! » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:32 am

I'm curious to what pickups you tele players out there have in the bridge position, and why you like/dislike it.

So far I've tried 2 in my new-ish tele thinline. It came with a Fender noiseless and it seemed fairly wimpy and lacking any strong mid-range or sustain. So I installed a Duncan lil'59 and now I feel I've gone too extreme in the oppisite direction. That pickup is hot as hell and has tons of honky mids. Too much so for my taste.

Just wondering what peeps are using and why..

yeah!
Mike

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:36 am

Joe Barden!

I could tell you why I like these pickups but you wouldn't believe me, I would sound like a Harmony Central review. Suffice to say they strike the perfect balance in all parameters in my opinion ...pricey though.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:40 am

I've got GFS lil' puncher in there. It's a dual rail humbucker. There are 3 versions: vintage, modern, and like super hott. So depends on what you want. I wired it to a push/pull on the tone pot, for switching between single and humbucker.

But, I haven't heard lots of different pickups, so I can't really compare. I've been meaning to post sound samples once I get a wire re-soldered.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 pm

You are going to get about 700 different responses to this question - so let me add to the confusion by saying how much I like the Voodoo TE-50.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:11 pm

I have a set of Fender Texas Specials in my '62 Fender Tele Custom RI. I love the sound. Basically a hot rodded vintage sound.

soundmasterg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by soundmasterg » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:48 pm

I would suggest to go with a boutique pickup winder as you can have them custom wind something to what you ar elooking for. They also typically scatterwind their pickups which results in a more even frequency response which is less spiky and more pleasing to your ear. I know personally of several winders in no particular order who are very good: Jason Lollar, (www.lollarguitars.com), Dave Stephens (www.sdpickups.com), Wolfe Macleod (www.wolfetone.com). Dave Stephens has many sound samples on his site and I see him every week and hear his pickups at a local blues jam. I really love his Broadcaster bridge pickup and plan to have one soon from him. Hope some of those will be helpful to you.

Greg

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

I'm no guitarist

Post by pixeltarian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:35 pm

but my friend has been talking about how blown away he is by rocketfire's handwound pickups.

here's a few reviews:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... ounds/10/1

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Not mine, but my brother has a Duncan Broadcaster in his bridge that sounds real nice.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:20 pm

I have two teles, and I've discovered that actually the difference between a brass bridge and stainless steel is almost just as big a deal as far as tone.

I have a mexican 60's model with the SS bridge and it has Syd Barrett tone for miles, my 76 Tele (brass bridge) is fantastic but less twang. I got the 76' and it was all original except for the bridge PU, snagged one on ebay for 95 bucks and really love the true 70's tone.....get an old PU used for real classic tele tone thats hard to beat.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:25 am

nestle wrote:I have two teles, and I've discovered that actually the difference between a brass bridge and stainless steel is almost just as big a deal as far as tone.
I have brass saddles on mine.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:43 am

I have a custom made thinline with an original broadcaster pickup in it, and it is the best tele I have ever used.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:45 am

joel hamilton wrote:I have a custom made thinline with an original broadcaster pickup in it, and it is the best tele I have ever used.
Who custom made it? Do you have a pic?

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:01 am

I really like the Fralin "Blues Special". It sounds just a little bigger than a stock tele pickup and really sounds great with 50's style brass saddled bridge.
Callaham makes a really superlative bridge.

Stonetree Tele

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:35 am

soundmasterg wrote:I would suggest to go with a boutique pickup winder as you can have them custom wind something to what you ar elooking for. They also typically scatterwind their pickups which results in a more even frequency response which is less spiky and more pleasing to your ear. I know personally of several winders in no particular order who are very good: Jason Lollar, (www.lollarguitars.com), Dave Stephens (www.sdpickups.com), Wolfe Macleod (www.wolfetone.com). Dave Stephens has many sound samples on his site and I see him every week and hear his pickups at a local blues jam. I really love his Broadcaster bridge pickup and plan to have one soon from him. Hope some of those will be helpful to you.

Greg
yep. Jason Lollar would be my vote. He specializes in single coils and his tele pickups are awes. He knows what he's doing. Nice guy too who returns all your emails personally.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:39 am

inverseroom wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:I have a custom made thinline with an original broadcaster pickup in it, and it is the best tele I have ever used.
Who custom made it? Do you have a pic?
I forgot the guys name. They sell them at Main Drag Music here in Brooklyn...
Leather pickguard... It is "antiqued" and a bunch of othe rthings i usually dont love, but this tele just KILLS all the other ones I have ever owned, and I have owned 5 before this one. It seems to work with almost any amp or tone requirement for any song, from alt country to heavy metal stuff, it just works really well. I feel lucky to have it.

I will look for a pic...