Sample Library How To?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Sample Library How To?

Post by tubetapexfmr » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:08 pm

I am looking for any online articles on how to create your own sample libraries. For instance info on sample rate, sample formats, file structure, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Google searching has not turned up much yet.

Jesse

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:04 pm

http://www.tweakheadz.com/Sampling_Tips.html is one link.

You might try typing 'creating samples' or 'creating audio samples' into Google. The above link is one of many I came up with by trying the first.
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:22 pm

what kind of audio samples are you trying to make? you may find some out there that are better than any you could make.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 am

If you've never recorded and programmed a sample library before then there's a very real possibility that a homegrown effort will not produce stellar results.

If one has the time and desire then DIY can certainly be a learning experience.... and it may even turn out nicely.

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:40 am

I have a pretty extensive collection of samples already, its just organized for me specifically. The samples themselves are of instruments I designed and built and aren't available in any commercial packages. I've been working on these libraries for the records I produce for years. I just want advice on organizing them into a proper library that I can give to other people to use. Since I built this existing library for myself and the way that I sample (With Ableton live's Simpler) the samples are raw and need to be properly looped and edited. This is the real info I seek, the technical details like: sample/bit rate, file format, looping, file management, etc. I don't need advice as to whether it is a good idea. It IS a good idea and I want advice on making my good idea into a finished product that other people will be compatible with.

Jesse

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:13 am

Have you looked at the teakheadz site posted above?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/ind ... &Itemid=28 might be a good forum for you to post in or check out. There are smart people over there who do this kind of thing for a living.

The only samplers I have are VSampler and GigaStudio but I don't keep VSampler installed. My samples are only pianos and basses and oboes and...I don't do looping but would assume that if you want to create a sample library for loopers you would want .wav files accurately trimmed, quantized (if beat related), and perhaps acidized or something like that to adapt to tempo.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:28 am

..... I just looked at Norther Sound Source site and found talk about programming 3 different parts of each 'note' - attack, main body (looped often), and release. Is this the kind of info you're looking for?