Q: PA for Rock Practice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Q: PA for Rock Practice

Post by cashed checks » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:54 pm

which would work better as a rock band practice PA, as I have two options to go with:

One speaker cabinet with 2 x 15" woofers, a horn, and another 6" midrange speaker

or

Two speaker cabinets that each have 1 x 12" woofer, a horn, and another 6" midrange speaker

I don't have much experience here as my only real band was instrumental. which scenario would work better for a band with a loud drummer???? Would it be 2 separate cabs because you could point them in different directions or is 1 large one enough, as long as it gets loud enough? Is there that much difference to vocals as far as 12" or 15" woofer is concerned?
Last edited by cashed checks on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:05 pm

To clarify a bit:

the 2 smaller speakers would come in at $500 and the single larger cab would be $400. Both are good quality barely used cabs. I was going to get the pair when I noticed the larger one and was wondering if I could save money and get the same result.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:26 pm

I generally like 12"s for vocal monitors much much better that 15's

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Q: PA for Rock Practice

Post by Andy Peters » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:15 pm

cashed checks wrote:which would work better as a rock band practice PA, as I have two options to go with:

One speaker cabinet with 2 x 15" woofers, a horn, and another 6" midrange speaker

or

Two speaker cabinets that each have 1 x 12" woofer, a horn, and another 6" midrange speaker

I don't have much experience here as my only real band was instrumental. which scenario would work better for a band with a loud drummer???? Would it be 2 separate cabs because you could point them in different directions or is 1 large one enough, as long as it gets loud enough? Is there that much difference to vocals as far as 12" or 15" woofer is concerned?
You want one or two monitor wedges per vocalist. There's rarely a need for big PA speakers in a rehearsal space.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Q: PA for Rock Practice

Post by trodden » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:30 am

Andy Peters wrote:
cashed checks wrote:which would work better as a rock band practice PA, as I have two options to go with:

or

You want one or two monitor wedges per vocalist. There's rarely a need for big PA speakers in a rehearsal space.

-a
*looks over at ancient 1980's PV PA cabs with 2x15, 2X10, mid and high horn in each cab... WITH NO FUCKING WHEELS*

yep, these have been moved three times... they're loud, but hell they take up some real estate.