Sotware for MAC based project studio? ableton weird? gb lofi

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Sotware for MAC based project studio? ableton weird? gb lofi

Post by drew w » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm looking for an improvement to home project studio setup in the software department. I mostly use it for demos but occasionally a track is sounding great and I'd like the format to be good enough to bring in the existing tracks for mixing or more tracking in Pro tools, etc. at another studio.

I have Ableton live 6 lite which I sometimes use for tracking since it tracks at 24 bits and sometimes use it for the effects which I like. It's only 4 tracks though and limited numbers of effects and I really kind of hate the format.

I tend to use Garageband which as far as I can figure only operates at 16 bits. GB is way more intuitive for me since I'm more used to recording to tape and it just seems to work on the first go. I'm not sure I've ever had to read the instructions on that one and it doesn't get in the way of the creative process.

I'm hesitant to dig into Ableton
although I've been trying to learn it but it seems so much more geared to the sampler/DJ vibe than tracking guit/vocals/etc and mixing the old fashioned way. I was planning to upgrade to the full version to kick up the number of tracks and effects but as I'm not digging the format...

I'd like to consider upping the bitrate
without getting bogged down in the learning curve or the processor for that matter. Any recommendations greatly appreciated for something intuitive for the tape opper who grew up on 4 track and r to r and some experience with PT tho usually not in the engineer's seat.

I'm using a mini Mac
M audio audiophile firewire interface

Many thanks for your opinions...
Drew

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:54 pm

the newest version of Garage Band from the iLife '08 upgrade does 24 bit.

drew w
takin' a dinner break

subatomic

Post by drew w » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:56 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:the newest version of Garage Band from the iLife '08 upgrade does 24 bit.
thanks! i was just reading that thread
now that i'm looking at it
i'm thinking the new version is going to bog down the g4 processor
by the way if anyone's curious here are the...

System Requirements

* ? Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor; iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.
* ? 512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended
* ? Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
* ? 3GB of available disk space
* ? DVD drive for installation
* ? QuickTime 7.2 or later

Notes:

* ? High-definition video requires at least 1GB of RAM.
* ? Burning DVDs requires an Apple SuperDrive or compatible third-party DVD burner.
* ? iPhoto print services are available in the U.S., Canada, Japan and select European countries. Internet access required; fees and terms apply.
* ? iWeb requires Internet and web server access (.Mac recommended).
* ? Some features in iLife require .Mac. The .Mac service is available to persons age 13 and older. Annual membership fee and Internet access required. Terms and conditions apply.
* ? Other configurations may be supported. AVCHD video and 24-bit recording have additional requirements. Visit www.apple.com/ilife for details.

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

Post by BlueMoonshine » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:28 am

If your mini is handling your current version of Garageband well, I suspect you won't have too much trouble with the upgrade -- the memory footprint of the iLife '06 version is already significant. I'm looking forward to checking out the 24bit Garageband soon.

I use Ableton Live 5 or Cubase SE for most of my work on my iMac G5 -- I know Live isn't really designed for traditional tracking, but I like the workflow and UI. Dunno if you can still get Cubase SE for $99 now that version 4 is out, but Cubase is great if you like the more traditional DAW UI metaphors.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:42 am

I'm running Digital Performer 4.61 (they are up to 5.12) and Live 5.2 on a Dual 1.8GHz G5 with 3GB of RAM and a Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz with 1.5GB of RAM, Waves Ren Max bundle, Nomad Factory stuff, NI and GMedia synths... I couldn't be happier. From start to finish, there is nothing that my system can't handle. I love tracking in Digital Performer, and I Rewire Live into it for some loop based stuff. They work together great.

Jeff

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:15 pm

I love Live 6 for remixing and sketching new songs, and the plugs are great. And I really like Live for working with midi, feels much more 'hands on' than any other sequencer I've worked with. But I just can't get into it for mixing. I'm probably imagining it, but to my ears something sounds a little strange about Live mixes compared to other DAW's. Plus the interface, which is amazing in it's own way, feels a bit clunky for mixing. It's a damn shame that you can't use Live's plugins in rewire slave mode.

I've used Logic Express up until very recently (and still like it for tracking and quick mixes). For the most part the interface/metaphor is fairly straight forward, (i.e. similar to pro tools) but I think that at a certain level it too becomes clunky, and some of the 'deeper' functionality can be a nightmare to figure out. After a couple years of pretty intensive use I'm still boggled by most of the midi routing functionality (I fear the environment window). Plus the express version is hobbled in certain key ways (no sidechains, limited busses). Still it's a good daw, very stable, decent stock plugs, and for some reason I seem to think it will play nicely with garageband projects (could be totally wrong about though, look into it.)

Digital performer was the first DAW I used when I switched to Mac, and I've recently gone back to it. A big part of the reason to me was that it's so much cheaper than Logic Pro. The interface/metaphor is a bit odd compared to other DAWs, which takes getting used to, but I now find it very fluid, and quick to get around in. The 'deeper' functionality doesn't seem as hidden as it does with Logic. Routing and bussing seem a lot more 'wide open' than in Logic. DP comes with relatively few stock plugs, but they're good (the MW eq was a big factor in switching daws, especially since Equium isn't UB yet).

bottom line, you need to try some of these for yourself. I would suggest looking into Logic Express and DP, try them out and see which you click with.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:39 am

ballpein wrote:It's a damn shame that you can't use Live's plugins in rewire slave mode.
I could totally be wrong, and I am going to check this out tonight, but I swear that I have used Simpler and other plug-ins when Live 4 and 5.2 have be Rewired into Digital Performer. You can't use AU or VST, for sure, I'm positive of that. Maybe I dropped the Simpler stuff down to audio, but I swear that it was running... ummm... Live.

Yeah, Live and Digital Performer linked together is a pretty great thing.

Jeff

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:39 pm

ipressrecord wrote: I could totally be wrong, and I am going to check this out tonight, but I swear that I have used Simpler and other plug-ins when Live 4 and 5.2 have be Rewired into Digital Performer. You can't use AU or VST, for sure, I'm positive of that. Maybe I dropped the Simpler stuff down to audio, but I swear that it was running... ummm... Live.

Jeff
Yeah, simpler and most of the instruments will run in rewire, but I really like some of the stock Live audio effects, which won't run for me. and AU's in Live under rewire would be great too. Live seems to be much more responsive to midi control on plugins than Logic or DP, and it's quicker and easier to swap or re-patch controller setups.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

logic

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:25 pm

Go with Logic Express.

Garageband is based on Logic- you can open Garageband files with Logic. Logic can use all the same plugs and software instruments you're getting with Garageband.

Anyway, Logic IS a bit "overbuilt", but I still think it's the best DAW out there, hands down.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

KFT
pushin' record

Post by KFT » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:49 am

If you're on a Mac Mini, I would think you'd be ok with either DP or Logic Express.