How are the PRES post-BLA Mod for the 002R

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

How are the PRES post-BLA Mod for the 002R

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:01 am

I know a few people here have done this mod, and I'm thinking of getting the basic mod done very soon. However, I can't find much on how improved the preamps are. I've heard a few examples, but I would like some opinions. The only outboard preamp I have is a Sytek, and I've been leaning back in forth on weather I should buy a Symetrix SX202 or Presonus MP20 and mod it or if the pres in the modded 002R would sound favorable to those. In other words, do they sound as good as most preamps in the $500 price range? If so, I'll save up for a Vintech and Universal Audio and use the 002R preamps.

willvis
audio school

002R pres, post BLA mod

Post by willvis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:13 pm

I am really happy with the mod on the mic pres on my Digi 002R. I don't have any outboard pres to compare them to, but taking my tracks to David Henry at Truetone in Nashville and hearing playback through his Apogee Rosetta 800 and his sweet audiophile monitor/amp combo made me happy I had the mod done. I also think the clock mod is a great improvement.

My recent EP was primarily recorded on my BLA-modded Digi 002R

zesbez
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zesbez » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14 pm

I think for the buck, you couldn't go wrong with the BLA mod. 4 decent pres, a better clock, better converters... you'll be hard-pressed to make at least one of those upgrades with that amount of cash without the mod.

:roll: