Mic Pre's on OH or Kick & Snare...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Mic Pre's on OH or Kick & Snare...

Post by ChrisCo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:10 am

If I've got 2 killer mic pres in addition to the MOTU 896 preamps that I record with, should I use those pres with the overhead mics, or should I use them with the kick and snare mics? I've always used them with the overheads to give a little more definition in the high end, and to help to not make the cymbals and higher frequencies as shrill. What say the TOMB about this topic?

Much thanks,
Chris
I'm all about a little kick and snare

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:12 am

My guess is the TOMB will say: try it both ways and see which you like better.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:15 am

another probably TOMB response:

"What are you recording? Is you room good? What style of music? Is the kick and snare or overheads more important to you?"

:D

But seriously, there is conventional wisdom advocating both courses of action.

One set of conventional wisdom would be "overheads produce the main overall picture of the kit, so you might try your best preamps there, as that makes up the bulk of the sound."

Another set of conventional wisdom would be "the kick and snare are the heartbeat of rock music (if you are indeed recording rock music) and should receive top priority."

Basically, um... try it both ways and see which one you like best. :D

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:19 am

Thus spake the TOMB!

Well, what I mean to ask is if there have been experiences that have led people to go one way or another. Or maybe even having a "theory" or something. Recording is subjective, and that being said, I've done both and prefer my way (thus far). However, I'd like to know what others have done and tried and prefer to potentially influence potentially a technique new to me that I haven't tried.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:22 am

brad347 wrote:another probably TOMB response:

"What are you recording? Is you room good? What style of music? Is the kick and snare or overheads more important to you?"

:D

But seriously, there is conventional wisdom advocating both courses of action.

One set of conventional wisdom would be "overheads produce the main overall picture of the kit, so you might try your best preamps there, as that makes up the bulk of the sound."

Another set of conventional wisdom would be "the kick and snare are the heartbeat of rock music (if you are indeed recording rock music) and should receive top priority."

Basically, um... try it both ways and see which one you like best. :D
Yeah, pretty much this was the discussion that I had with my friend during a session when I was miking the drum kit. He advocated the kick and snare technique, quoting your second set of conventional wisdom, where my response was the first set of conventional wisdom. Sigh...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:27 am

If it's me, and it's the best sounding room in my house...overheads. In the mix, I like to build drums around the overhead image. Just seems more natural to my ears, even for thick rock mixes.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: Mic Pre's on OH or Kick & Snare...

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:37 am

ChrisCo wrote:I'm all about a little kick and snare.
i think you have answered your own question, no?

i wonder the same thing myself. you should send me those 2 killer preamps and i will do some exhaustive (6-8 month) research and get back to you with my findings.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Re: Mic Pre's on OH or Kick & Snare...

Post by ChrisCo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:41 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
ChrisCo wrote:I'm all about a little kick and snare.
i think you have answered your own question, no?

i wonder the same thing myself. you should send me those 2 killer preamps and i will do some exhaustive (6-8 month) research and get back to you with my findings.
For $35

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:08 pm

in your case, i will waive the standard "opinion fee" and do it for free.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:51 pm

andy hong sez do it yr way:

http://www.kimcheerecords.com/articles/drums/
Because the signal from the overheads will be the foundation of the drum sound, choose your best mics and mic preamps for this task.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:08 pm

I get the "foundation" for my drum sound from a combination of OH and a room mic about 6ft. in front of the kit, about 18" off the ground. So, if I was in your situation, I'd try a mono OH and mono room mic with the good pres.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:58 pm

Over the last year or so, I've gone from spending time on getting the best bang out of the kick and snare mics and pres, and having the OHs be almost an afterthought, to getting the sound in the overheads and using the close kick and snare mics to fill in gaps. I started using two channels of a very fat and juicy sounding pre for the overheads and I haven't looked back yet. I've found that it changed the way I mix because the drums sound more blended and "real" in the overheads and all the close mics just serve to help define the individual drums.

Experiment, though. I find that I get into habits that need to be changed every now and then, and this was one of them.

Roger

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:02 pm

Rodgre wrote:I started using two channels of a very fat and juicy sounding pre for the overheads and I haven't looked back yet. I've found that it changed the way I mix because the drums sound more blended and "real" in the overheads and all the close mics just serve to help define the individual drums.
Rodgre - What're you using for pre's/mic's on your overheads?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:53 pm

I'm knda the odd man out here (and in most of life...). I like the whole drum-set done with the same mic pres.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 pm

drumsound wrote:I'm knda the odd man out here (and in most of life...). I like the whole drum-set done with the same mic pres.
True, but let's say you only had only two channels of your Neotek and two channels of something lesser. How would you set it up?