WAves GTR3 vs Amplitube 2?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

WAves GTR3 vs Amplitube 2?

Post by versuviusx » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:21 pm

has anyone compared the two? i can't wait to try out GTR3. i love ampltiube 2. it is amazing. but just out of curiosity i would like to know what people think about GTR3. anyone?

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:26 am

Let me first say that I am not a gigging guitarist, nor have I tried any of the guitar softwares before Mainstage in Logic Studio.

But...$600 for GTR3? That's incredible. Logic Studio is $500 and comes with Logic Pro 8, Mainstage, Soundtrack Pro, etc. Mainstage is an amazing app and I can't see needing another live performance application.

As for GTR3, personally I'd never go for it. That retro-beatup-old chevy interface is just not something I ever want to look at again. But...it probably sounds decent.
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:34 am

I think you should stay away from the Waves stuff just based on their weird anti-consumer iLok crap. At least with Amplitube you can just register and use the damn program. That is, unless you are already neck-deep in iLok stuff and it's not an added hassle for you.

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:06 pm

I have used Amplitube and hated it. It does not sound like an guitar amp to me. It sounds like an overdriven, harshly filtered direct input. I have not used the waves plug but I think most waves plugs (guitar effect plugs) sound a little glassy and it is too expensive. I actually think you would be better off getting a used Pod Pro. They too sound fake but are a little more convincing to my ears, especially if you take a line out into an amp, mic it, and record it to a second track.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:19 pm

Long time Amplitube user

I think amplitube is the best sounding Sim Plug out there and I have tried most of them. I once tried to re-amp a bass guitar track, through a "Big Muff Pi" and a "Fender bassman". I coulnd't get that classic bass fuzz to save my life (was in kinnda of a hurry) so I tried the "Bass Fuzz" preset in Amplitube 2 and what do you know, exatctly what I was looking for. Never had that happen before with any plug-in ever, but still love that track to this day.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:45 pm

I will say I do love the IK media Ampeg plug in.

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:48 pm

Yep, the sims can be useful.
Just out of interest - Did you try sending to the "real" Muff Π and routing that back into the sim, with the sim fuzz bypassed?
My main problem with soft sims is the (IMHO) somewhat hashy, splatty distortion. Logics guitar amp "pro" being the worst offender (even that can have it's uses, though, how they had the nuts to call that "pro" I'll never know).

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:15 pm

For playing guitar through (practice or whatever) a fella can get used to sims whether they are software or the Pod or what have you. Then it's always a pleasant and unsettling surprise to go back to any decent real amp and find out how terrible the sims all are in comparison.

That said, I get a kick out of Amplitube and the Ampeg app on a regular basis. Sometimes they're just the ticket for reamping or corroding a non-guitar signal or whatever.

Nothing like a real amp though. You already know that probably.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

h

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:16 pm

Native Instruments' Guitar Rig. Best there is.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 pm

I have used both Amplitube and Guitar Rig. They are both strong contenders. I would have a hard time choosing between them, as they both do some things very well.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:07 pm

Vogon wrote:Yep, the sims can be useful.
Just out of interest - Did you try sending to the "real" Muff Π and routing that back into the sim, with the sim fuzz bypassed?
My main problem with soft sims is the (IMHO) somewhat hashy, splatty distortion. Logics guitar amp "pro" being the worst offender (even that can have it's uses, though, how they had the nuts to call that "pro" I'll never know).
So tempted, but I put that in the "Why waste time when me ears are happy" category. Maybe someday when I'm after that kindda thing again I will use that track as a template to try again. For now I just bless the 000010000100111100100101000 gods.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:30 pm

Neither. The stuff that comes with Logic 7 and 8 is better(IMO).

Best of all the whole program probably costs less than one waves reverb and compressor.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:29 am

Wow, that's the first time I've heard anyone say that Re: Guitar amp pro.
I have used the cabs and "disabled" the actual amp section, I personally find their overdrive characteristics about as far from a real amp as I have heard in a modeller. Which actually can be useful if one's going for an overtly fake, off-the-wall sound.
They are also way noisier than their other software and valve counterparts.
I seem to remember reading in some of their blurb that off-axis is brighter than on-axis... :lol:

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:21 am

I go by what I'm asked to do. This cheap place I worked at a few times uses logic with no other plugins.

I get asked weird shit like "ok, make my guitar sound more late 1989" or "more orange" or my favorite "more good". I have no idea what in god's name they're talking about so I go through all the presets and twist knobs until they say "yes, that's it!" And it always happens faster in Logic than the waves plugin I've used with protools a couple of times.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:41 am

I am pleasantly surprised about how far Guitar Rig has come from GR to GR2 to GR3. I practice through GR3 these days and I think that for my needs it sounds great. I strongly advise you NOT to deal with Waves BS/iLok/WUP. If you use Digital Performer Waves has put off any working updates for the program for over a year now, and the whole MOTU community is up in arms over this right now. I've heard great things concerning Amplitube 2 and there's always going to be folks who say that A2 sucks and GR3 is awesome etc etc. If you are happy with Amplitube 2, then...

I'm also a fan of blending real amps with emulations. Just listened to my friends' band's new record and all of the guitars are recorded through a mid 1960's Blackface Bandmaster, a 1958 Tweed Champ, or Guitar Rig 2. And you can't tell what was what exactly. Everything sounds really great.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord