g&l guitars?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

g&l guitars?

Post by sad iron » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:00 am

Anyone know much about them? There's one in a local shop, a tele-style guitar that says G&L ASAT on the headstock and on the back it says Indonesia along with the serial number. I've been searching around for a while and I know they have Tribute line that's branded as Tribute by G&L, andthat's made in Indonesia, but this guitar is not branded a Tribute. I can't find very much info on these guitars. It's a great feeling and playing guitar and I almost pulled the trigger on it yesterday, but I wanted to know the pedigree first.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:12 am

isn't G&L the guitar line started by Leo Fender after he sold Fender to CBS?

as far as i know, they have a reputation for being great guitars with a solid quality build. they're not even a small line, really...

G&L Guitars
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:13 am

G&L is all about pedigree. I haven't played any of the G&L Tributes, but every other G&L I've played has been amazing - basses and guitars. Think Fender with better hardware and better construction. The ASAT is my favorite G&L.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:16 am

"Tribute" is like G&L's "Squier."

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:16 am

mjau wrote:G&L is all about pedigree. I haven't played any of the G&L Tributes, but every other G&L I've played has been amazing - basses and guitars. Think Fender with better hardware and better construction. The ASAT is my favorite G&L.
Yeah this guitar I played yesterday was fantastic and I'll probably pick it up, but I'm just trying to figure out what it is since it isn't branded a Tribute but has the indonesia mark on the back of the headstock.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:19 am

Yeah, G&L guitars rule. I had a job in a music shop right out of high school, and used to love their guitars (the shop I worked in carried them). The ASAT is one of the best. They always felt great and sounded really good.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:24 am

sad iron wrote:
Yeah this guitar I played yesterday was fantastic and I'll probably pick it up, but I'm just trying to figure out what it is since it isn't branded a Tribute but has the indonesia mark on the back of the headstock.
yeah, that's confusing. I think the Tribute line is relatively new, but before that, some were US and some were imports. I'll add to what others are saying, great guitars. The tribute line is, I think, the best value in a new guitar/bass out there. I'd really like to get a Tribute JB-2.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:27 am

with very very few exceptions, 70s and 80s G&Ls are fantastic!

90s ones are pretty good as well.

dunno about the more recent ones, tho.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:43 am

Supposedly.....
The older ones said Tribute very large on the headstock.
The newer ones say G&L very large and beneath that in very small print say "tribute series" on the headstock. When you go back check to see if that small print is there, but if its stamped Indonesia on the back I beleive its a Tribute regardless.

I have no personal experience with Tribute models but they get great reviews and if you like the guitar thats all that matters in the end. I think new non-tribute G&L's are fairly expensive so that might give you an indicator also. cheers!
me make purty musick!

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:49 am

chovie d wrote:
Supposedly.....
The older ones said Tribute very large on the headstock.
The newer ones say G&L very large and beneath that in very small print say "tribute series" on the headstock. When you go back check to see if that small print is there, but if its stamped Indonesia on the back I beleive its a Tribute regardless.

I have no personal experience with Tribute models but they get great reviews and if you like the guitar thats all that matters in the end. I think new non-tribute G&L's are fairly expensive so that might give you an indicator also. cheers!
See, that's what threw me. I didn't remember seeing anything that said Tribute on it, but at the same time, I didn't know about the Tribute line until I did further research. But the new Tributes on musiciansfriend do say Tribute in big, honkin' letters...hmmm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=511114

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:42 am

What I find odd is that it's made in Indonesia, they must have changed recently, because the 2 G&L Tributes I own (and really like btw) are made in Korea.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

yeah they just moved construction of the tribute series from Korea to Indonesia this year. G&L's rule I have a l-2000 bass and an asat special. The tribute series is suppose to be really nice for the price. They have all the same hardwear and electronics just the bodys and necks made elsewhere.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:06 am

Smitty wrote:isn't G&L the guitar line started by Leo Fender after he sold Fender to CBS?

as far as i know, they have a reputation for being great guitars with a solid quality build. they're not even a small line, really...

G&L Guitars
Actually it's Leo Fender's company after he sold Music Man to Ernie Ball.

As everyone has said G&L guitars are great. I have an ASAT special with the wide (O-90 ish looking) oick ups that I love and I've played my bass players L-2000 quite a bit and that thing plays like butter. The bass player I'm working with in the studio has a L2500 that sounds great too.

:hearts: :worthy: to Leo Fender (and George Fullerton)

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:44 pm

The new ones apparently just say G&L on the headtsock with Tribute beneath in small print. Check out the G&L webpage here:
http://www.glguitars.com/frameset.htm

That Musicians Freind guitar is likely old, they DO sell old guitars at Musicians Friend apparently without mentioning
me make purty musick!

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:43 pm

Of the guitars you're considering (the other threads you put up), i'd go with the g&l by far. I too have an Asat (non-tribute) and it's amazing. I've not played the tributes, but I can't imagine them being bad. And since you seem to already dig it, i'd say it's a done deal. Go get it![/i]