Line 6 DL4 Pricing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Line 6 DL4 Pricing

Post by Esmo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:18 pm

I was just thinking/noticing today that the price of a used or new DL4 has not changed in about 5 years. They seem to go for 250 new and 175 used consistently. The rest of the pedals in that series to go for lower. It seems like there would be enough of them out there by now that they would come down in price for used ones. thoughts?

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:08 pm

I'm surprised so many people buy them. I've played around w/ a few and owned one, and every single one gave me problems. Very cool features and great sounding delays, but they are easily the most unreliable pedal I have ever bought. Between randomly not wanting to switch, to giving me a random weird preset, I'm done with them. I realized I can get by w/ my Boss DD-3 and a tuner. -(hris
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:51 am

I bought the first one that showed up at my favorite music store back in '99, and have yet to have a single reliability problem with it.

It's practically bare metal from so much use!

Roger

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:53 am

Rodgre wrote:I bought the first one that showed up at my favorite music store back in '99, and have yet to have a single reliability problem with it.
+1
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Oldschoolwax
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Oldschoolwax » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Never a problem with mine...
~Michael

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~Albert Einstein

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:10 pm

Rodgre wrote:I bought the first one that showed up at my favorite music store back in '99, and have yet to have a single reliability problem with it.

Roger
Me as well, I think I got mine in 2000. My friend bought a new one and it crapped out on him in after about a year of use. I think maybe the newer ones might use cheaper parts because it seems (from what I read on the interweb and from my experience) that the older ones are more reliable. The new models also have a different logo (just a weird observation I made).

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:43 pm

InvalidInk wrote:

Roger
Me as well, I think I got mine in 2000. My friend bought a new one and it crapped out on him in after about a year of use. I think maybe the newer ones might use cheaper parts because it seems (from what I read on the interweb and from my experience) that the older ones are more reliable. The new models also have a different logo (just a weird observation I made).
new logo = made in China
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm

I've had mine for a few years now. Great pedal, and no problems. I think they could lower the price now, with the new Nova Delay and the new Eventide Time Factor being out.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:51 pm

The irony kills me...
Last night as I was reading this thread, I thought of posting a brief comment such as "no problem here, but only 1 month in!". Today, my DL4 is dead. I don't know what happened, it's usually plugged into my perdal board's AC outlet, tried different outlets, nothing...none of the 4 lights come on. I wonder what GC's policy is on such an item...return it for a new one, or just get the new Boss RE-20 Space Echo pedal..
Damn this sucks.

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Finally! Someone else has a problem! -(hris
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:13 pm

pk wrote:The irony kills me....
Uhhh I had a problem too, this Sunday. I had a show and in the middle of the set I went to stomp on the second delay button, and nothing is happening. I looked down and the button had fallen off!

Not a huge deal, it is probably very easily fixable. It just funny the after boasting about having this pedal for 8 years with no major problem. I wouldn't consider it a major problem but still funny.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:24 pm

if my "button" fell off i'd be very upset.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:51 am

InvalidInk wrote:
pk wrote:The irony kills me....
Uhhh I had a problem too, this Sunday. I had a show and in the middle of the set I went to stomp on the second delay button, and nothing is happening. I looked down and the button had fallen off!

Not a huge deal, it is probably very easily fixable. It just funny the after boasting about having this pedal for 8 years with no major problem. I wouldn't consider it a major problem but still funny.
I had this happen to me back in 2004, after using and abusing the DL-4 for 5 years. It happened during sound check, and at the time it was a pedal that I NEEDED for the set. I opened the pedal up and fixed it in 20mins and then resumed having a beer before we went on.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:59 am

how's everyone feel about the tone of these? I have been thinking of buying one and I have never owned a delay pedal before. I have used a buddies and liked it alot, but some other people on other forums were not giving it the highest ratings.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:02 am

It's great for digital.