Cascade mics - the other models

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pk
buyin' gear

Cascade mics - the other models

Post by pk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:13 pm

There is much talk about the Fathead/II's, and surely I wouldn't mind getting a pair, but I was on their site this morning and was curious about their other mics, like the Victor, and then some of their more basic condenser models. Thing is they're so affordable that the temptation to snag a few Fatheads and a couple of other LDC and SDC's is tempting. Any thoughts on the other Cascade mics besides the Fatheads? Thanks!

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:15 pm

Isn't the victor the Tape Op ribbon/Shiny Box/Apex/Nady mic?

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:23 pm

markitzero
pushin' record

Post by markitzero » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:44 pm

I have the Victor. It's really thick on vocals, and awesome in front of a drum kit.

I just got the Elroy (Tube LDC) and it seems to be pretty good. Haven't actually recorded anything with it yet, but I certainly will.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:13 pm

I dunno, but I just ordered 2 Blumlein pairs of Fathead IIs today.
Someone on Gearslutz posted a link to a Cascade e-special where they're selling them for $349 pair with the case, mounts and Blumlein bar. That's crazy cheap.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:58 am

pulse_divider wrote:I dunno, but I just ordered 2 Blumlein pairs of Fathead IIs today.
Someone on Gearslutz posted a link to a Cascade e-special where they're selling them for $349 pair with the case, mounts and Blumlein bar. That's crazy cheap.
I just ordered the FH-II/Blumlein package as well, too good a deal to pass up, they will be my first ribbon mics, psyched! The Victor looks interesting but I'll wait on that one.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:19 pm

side-note: as I read more about ribbon mics, I understand they need a lot more gain than condenser mics, will the average preamp be enough ie: old Soundcraft board, EH 12AY7 and Ensemble pres ok to power the forthcoming Fathead II's? Thanks!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:05 pm

I bought a pair of M37s from a TapeOp'r for $50/matched pair. They are cardioid and a bit bright. I figured for $25/mic they would be decent to have around. I honestly haven't had a use for them yet, though I figure that the next time that I record drums I'll check them out for toms, snare side/under/top, hi-hat, etc. I prefer my Oktava Mk-012s for acoustic guitar (Taylor 310ce, Gibson LG-0) after some experimenting.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LifeGoesOff » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:04 pm

I bought the Cascade Elroy LD tube mic a few months ago on a whim after buying a pair of Fat Head II's and I really have enjoyed it. Great presence on vocals and out in front of a drum kit. It would be a great addition to your mic collection...and the price is nice too. I love mine.

p.s. I got serial number 001. I thought that was pretty cool!

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:43 pm

pk wrote:side-note: as I read more about ribbon mics, I understand they need a lot more gain than condenser mics, will the average preamp be enough ie: old Soundcraft board, EH 12AY7 and Ensemble pres ok to power the forthcoming Fathead II's? Thanks!
It depends on what you're recording. I've had issues when recording quiet acoustic instruments and vocals using ribbon mics, but for things like drums, amplified instruments, etc... you should be ok.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:22 pm

I would like to know how that stereo ribbon performs. Its like the same model/design that the attempted group buy was trying to get its hands on.

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:56 am

pulse_divider wrote:I dunno, but I just ordered 2 Blumlein pairs of Fathead IIs today.
i just tried to find that link but couldn't. could you point in the right direction?

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 am

It's a dead link, I just tried it from the original e-deals email, perhaps because the offer ended a few days ago. However, even at $399 (it was only $50 rebate), it shouldn't stop you if you really want to give these mics a try.

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 am

trodden wrote:I would like to know how that stereo ribbon performs. Its like the same model/design that the attempted group buy was trying to get its hands on.
BTW, Pacific Pro Audio also has a version of the same stereo ribbon for $299.
http://ppadirectimports.com/microphones.html

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:54 am

jv wrote:
trodden wrote:I would like to know how that stereo ribbon performs. Its like the same model/design that the attempted group buy was trying to get its hands on.
BTW, Pacific Pro Audio also has a version of the same stereo ribbon for $299.
http://ppadirectimports.com/microphones.html
thanks!

i was going to head down there next paycheck to get another external drive.. maybe i should wait and pick up a mic as well. I love going to their office. nice people.