Studio Food for Musicians Producers Engineers and Groupies

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:17 am

In order to play/record/mix/jam at your best, you need to eat a healthy diet. Here is an easy recipie, which if you shop around, you can feed your band, your tech, your roadie, and your roadie's girlfriend for under twenty buxx, not including the beer. Incudes grease, which is one of the four basic food groups of recording (the others being caffiene, nicotine, and sugar). :lol:

Food items you need....
  • 2 large green bell peppers
  • 2 large tomatos
  • 3 large carrots
  • 1 large broccoli or equal size of bagged broccoli flowerettes
  • 4 to 8 medium to large sized portobella mushrooms
  • 30 or so fresh green beans - chopped
  • 2 small onions or 1 medium onion
  • 1 medium eggplant
  • Mrs. Dash brand seasoning OR fresh ground pepper
  • 1 six to eight ounce can of tomato sauce - Hunt's brand perfered (or if your a cheap-ass like me, Price Rite store brand will work as well)
  • optional - Two to three cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
  • optional - one-half shot-glass of barbique sauce - McCormick's original or Sweet Baby Ray's original prefered, Hunt's original will work.
  • penne pasta
  • OLIVE OIL
  • optional - ground beef or chicken... (and when I say "optional", with the eggplant, you can very well go without the meat!)
  • OPTIONAL IDEA - Bread crumbs or bread cubes could be added to this dish, although I have not tried it yet.
Equipment you will need...
  • Large size "dutch oven" or comparable baking dish
  • Fry pan
  • cutting board
  • cookpot with colander and lid
  • cookpot for pasta
  • knives or choppers and whatever other utensils required to prep and serve the food (and most of us should be smart enough to know the difference between a cheeze grater and a pepper grinder much less a knife and a fork...)
Instructions...
  1. Preheat oven to 300F. While oven is warming up start prepping items.
  2. Grease dutch oven and frypan with olive oil. Add half-shot-glass of barbique sauce to the bottom of the dutch oven.
  3. Boil penne pasta until tender. When pasta is tender, drain water from pot.
  4. Place colander in cookpot, add water to cookpot and bring to boil - peel, chop and steam carrots. When carrots are hot, remove from colander and place in dutch oven. DO NOT OVERCOOK CARROTS! MUSHY CARROTS ARE GROSS!
  5. Place broccoli in cookpot - steam broccoli in the same process as you steam the carrots. When hot, place in dutch oven. DO NOT OVERCOOK BROCCOLI! MUSHY BROCCOLI IS GROSS!
  6. Steam green bean pieces, add to dutch oven when hot.
  7. {EDIT} I forgot to add the mushrooms... Slice and saute the mushrooms at this point. Add to mix.
  8. Peel and lightly saute eggplant, add to dutch oven when hot
  9. Dice and lightly saute onion - place onion pieces in dutch oven.
  10. Mix broccoli, carrots, eggplant, green bean pieces and onion together.
  11. Dice and lightly saute green pepper. Add to dutch oven over top of carrots and broccoli.
  12. Dice and lightly saute tomatos. When tomatos are up to "temperature", add can of tomato sauce and bring to a boil. When the mixture is hot, add to dutch oven over top of everything else already in dutch oven.
  13. Add a light sprinke of Mrs. Dash seasoning or ground pepper.
  14. Cover dutch oven and place in oven for ten to fifteen minutes, until hot through.
  15. Remove dutch oven lid, evenly cover with cheese, and place back in oven until cheese is melted.
{EDIT} I forgot to say... Remove from oven and serve! EAT!!!

ENJOY!!! :rockin:

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:43 am

Just the fact that meat was only "optional" made me pass on it.

Oooga booga!

(grabs wife by hair and drags her back into cave)

:wink:
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:16 pm

the sugar-as-food-group thing makes me wanna say: avoid sugar for a few days before singing, cos it really helps...and drink heaps of water.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:59 pm

CurtZHP wrote:Just the fact that meat was only "optional" made me pass on it.

Oooga booga!

Huh? You have me totally confused... :?

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:00 pm

RefD wrote:the sugar-as-food-group thing makes me wanna say: avoid sugar for a few days before singing, cos it really helps...and drink heaps of water.
Actually, nicotine in the form of cigarette smoke is far worse than even the most icky-sweet sugar treat. The smartest thing I ever did in my life was quitting smoking in 1985.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:56 am

Carli wrote:
CurtZHP wrote:Just the fact that meat was only "optional" made me pass on it.

Oooga booga!

Huh? You have me totally confused... :?

Just doing a poor job of jerking your chain. Had the recipe started with "Grill five pounds of red meat just long enough that it stops twitching," I'd give it a try! Too many veggies!

:lol:

Seriously, though, it does sound good. Who else has a recipe they'd like to share?
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

--

Post by radiationroom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:40 am

CurtZHP wrote:Just doing a poor job of jerking your chain.

OK... As the resident Aspie of the TapeOp board, some of the humor expressed within this website escapes me.
CurtZHP wrote:Had the recipe started with "Grill five pounds of red meat just long enough that it stops twitching," I'd give it a try! Too many veggies!
If it wasn't for the fact that my mom INSISTS on having meat in every meal, I could easily skip eating meat for two meals a day. Since I cut back on my meat consumption, I feel a whole HELL of ALLOT better! :D

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:53 am

OK, here's my recipe:

Burry Toes:

Rice:

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup of brown rice and 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, maybe a couple pieces of chopped jalapeno, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

Beans:

While that is cooking, peel and slice up a thumb-sized lump of fresh ginger and 3 or 4 cloves of garlic into little bitty pieces, put some canola oil and butter in a pan with a little bit of curry powder, heat that up until the butter melts and starts to bubble a little. Throw in the ginger, let it fry for a couple minutes, on medium heat, then throw in the garlic, stir fry the combination until the ginger and garlic are just barely starting to turn brown. At this point, the smell will already convince everyone in the house that you are a master chef.

Throw a can of black beans in there, mix in a little cumin and cinnamon. Once that starts to bubble up, throw in a drained can of chick peas with some rosemary. Once the temperature creeps back up and the chick peas are about half-way done, stir in a drained can of corn and some oregano. Let it heat up, then take the whole thing off the burner and put the lid on, letting the steam plump up the corn until it looks bright yellow and ready to pop.

When I have the energy, I will steam some sweet potatoes or carrots on the side during this process, seasoned with whiskey and cinnamon, and then mix them in when all is done.

At some point, you will need to sprinkle shredded cheese on some tortillas, wrap them in foil and leave them in the toaster oven long enough to melt the cheese.

When all is done, lay out your tortilla, put a good layer of rice down, then the beans/corn/orange tuber and top off with some sour cream and hot sauce and fresh basil if you've got it.

Sorry, no meat! But they will be awesome and can easily feed a band. Better have good ventilation in your studio though.
:D

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:19 am

*hires A-Barr as Studio Chef*

lg
steve albini likes it

food for *artists only*

Post by lg » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:38 am

spaghetti (by neda, age 5)
. . .
little bit of sauce
chicken
2 boxes spaghetti

put spaghetti in a can.
cook the chicken and put it in a box.
cut the chicken in little pieces.
put it in a dish and eat it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

white and black (formula by the futurist poet of national record farfa)
. . .
a one-man show on the internal walls of the stomach
consisting of free-form arabesques of whipped cream sprinkled
with lime-tree charcoal. contra the blackest indigestion.
pro the whitest teeth.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 am

*half-seriously suggests a "Studio Nutrition" subforum*
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:01 am

I always find Japanese, particularly sushi, food to be the best mid-session meal.

It's tasty, satisfying, and most importantly, doesn't weigh the players down.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 am

whatever, mr. new york sushi dude... digital society found your signature on the blown out G5 processors... i'm going to send you the bill...

(bored at the studio...)

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:05 am

*starts digging up own recipes from the "other place"*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:09 am

fossiltooth wrote:I always find {SNIP} particularly sushi, food to be the best mid-session meal.
:kotzen:

Going to go hit the Pepto-Bismol now...