ART Digital MPA /DPS II

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

markmeat
pushin' record

ART Digital MPA /DPS II

Post by markmeat » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:42 pm

I'm looking for a 2-channel preamp with digital outs (S/PDIF) to add to my rack so I can actually use all 10 inputs on my Firepod... I've come across these two, read some reviews, but I want to know if anyone here loves/hates/is indifferent to either of these units or maybe knows of any other piece of equipment that is similar for a modest price point... anyone?

Thanks,
MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:33 pm

there's not a whole lot in that price range with S/Pdif out. I've owned the DPS and the MPA (digital MPA) and the DMPA was better, especially after I upgraded the tubes (JJ's from www.eurotubes.com).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:42 pm

I actually like this unit a lot, for the money. It gives you a pretty wide variety of sounds, between just normal gain staging, as well as the variable impedance control, and the "variable valve voicing" switch. None of the sounds are stellar, but there is enough variety that you can usually find something that works pretty quickly.

The unit does respond well to tube upgrades.

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:07 am

I've got two ART DPSIIs; sound quality is alright, but I find the controls and metering to be annoying. Some genius decided that instead of having the three generic looking knobs for each channel be the same, they're mirror images of each other. I'm sure that's great for symmetry, but I inevitably end up cranking the output knob trying to adjust the gain. Also, the backlight on the VU meters has burned on on channel in each of the units I have. We're still using them, but they're usually last choice out of a Focusrite Red, a Drawmer MX60, and a Presonus DigiMax, and we'll probably move them somewhere else to make space in the rack once we get some other good pres.

chrissss
audio school graduate

Post by chrissss » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:25 pm

I got one of those sort of for the same reason and ended up returning it after tracking a few things through it (to test it out). Other than bass it pretty much sounded terrible on everything. Muddy but sizzley (can a tone description get worse?ha). The different eq preset things are funny for a couple of minutes. . .