Radar II fan replacement?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Radar II fan replacement?

Post by pulse_divider » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 am

Has anyone had any luck replacing the fan on a RADAR II with a quieter one?
I searched IZ's website and messageboard and the official answer is that it's not recommended.
Considering how loud it is and that replacing a fan isn't rocket science, I imagine there's someone on here who's done it. What sort of specs should I look for in a new fan aside from noise ratings and power consumption?
Thanks.

FiveFish
pluggin' in mics

Post by FiveFish » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:54 am

What sort of specs should I look for in a new fan aside from noise ratings and power consumption?
Noise rating and power consumption are the least of the worries.

Look at CFM, and dimensions. Match these two and hope you can find a quieter one.

But you see, the larger the CFM, the noisier it is. Put a low CFM fan there to quiet things down and components may overheat and you may have a doorstop in a few months. So that's why the official answer is probably "not recommended"
[url=http://www.fivefishstudios.com[/diy]Lunchbox Preamp Kits and DIY Projects... [/url]

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:05 am

I wish there was a good answer to this. I just received a Radar II and I'd heard it was loud, but it's WAY loud, like louder than any computer I've heard.

I'm finangling a way to put it in another room, which I sort of don't like aesthetically, but it seems like it'll be the best option.

I would imagine that those iso boxes wouldn't even contain this thing.

Bummer.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!