eq plugins to rave about

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

eq plugins to rave about

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 pm

I've had the chance recently to auditon a few eq plugs recently and want to rave about both for character and usability.

The Focusrite d2 is exceptional. Good, strong character with believable sloping. Silvery/steely/brushed aluminum quality in tone. Don't know why I didn't try this sooner.

Also, the API A-series eq's from URS. The 560 SSMMOOOOTTTHHHH. The 560 graphics were always aggressive, but whereas these react the same, they don't exhibit the exact edginess the originals do. The 550b knock-off is way cool too. Increments between the usual 2 db boost allow you to choose boost or attenuation between what you normally would be allowed to do. As with the real units, things get good when you exaggerate the boost levels. It's okay to not accept stock sounds with this 'chiseler of frequency'. As versatile as the original. At $249 for RTAS a stupidly cheap value.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:05 am

The guy who did the modeling for the URS plugs is a classic individual, and an incredibly thorough person. He lives here in NYC, and is a really cool guy and an amazing tech. He was measuring things that other companies didnt even know existed when he first started doing that stuff... ineractions that nobody else was even hip to. URS stuff sounds really good because of his efforts, IMO.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:08 am

the URS API plug is some kind of magic black box as far as I am concerned. It just makes everything sound amazing. going to be wierd with the new gui not looking like an API anymore since I have gotten so used to it, but damn it sounds great.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:28 am

T-rex wrote:the URS API plug is some kind of magic black box as far as I am concerned.
Yes, whereas the SSL model he did sucks. Anyone know what series he used as a model for that? The E-series is a very aggressive and useful EQ with some edginess when you dig in to extremes. The plugin is weirdly smooth.

Also, the BLT is an incredible value at $49. All the smoothness of a Pultec. Really, really cool. The 5KHz high frequency might be a little high or low for some things, but this is a versatile plugin.

If you think about the low and high band thing, classic consoles used to be built this way. I think you could end up with a very 'pure' mix using only the BLT and being careful with your source sounds.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 am

I agree - the URS eq's are pretty damn good. The best eq plugin I've used is the UAD Neve 1073, although the UAD Helios has an unbelievably amazing sounding high end. The PSP MasterQ is really great for carving out annoying resonances, along with severely high-passing stuff.

Colin F.
gettin' sounds

Post by Colin F. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:54 am

EQIII is a such a great EQ that I rarely reach for another plugin when I need one.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:17 am

I haven't been using them as much recently because they tend to be CPU intensive, but the TriTone Digital stuff is pretty nice - especially the HydraTone. Definitely a bit more in the character department. I have yet to check the URS or UAD plugs.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:32 am

mjau wrote: The best eq plugin I've used is the UAD Neve 1073, although the UAD Helios has an unbelievably amazing sounding high end.
I suspected this about the UAD plugs. Good to hear it is the case.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:31 pm

i just got the glissEQ from voxengo and it is very nice. of course, i am not an expert.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:18 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:
T-rex wrote:the URS API plug is some kind of magic black box as far as I am concerned.
Yes, whereas the SSL model he did sucks. Anyone know what series he used as a model for that? The E-series is a very aggressive and useful EQ with some edginess when you dig in to extremes. The plugin is weirdly smooth.
Exactly! I don't really find much useful about the neve 1073 URS plug either? Am I crazy? The API one is just awesome to me though so I can't figure out whether URS did a bad job on the Neve / Amazing job on API? Or whether the sound of the API plug is just a sound that appeals to me and the Neve is not.

Don't get me wrong, I know these are emulations blah blah blah, but not having used the real deals I don't really have a reference point. Regardless, I dig the API and can pretty much live with it as my only eq plug if I had to.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

jchristopherhughes
audio school graduate

Post by jchristopherhughes » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:56 pm

the only plug in eq i have ever really enjoyed using has been filter bank by mcdsp.

a few weeks ago i checked out the waves api eq's on a hd rig. holy s!@# !!!

i was pretty blown away.

i am interested in checking out the urs version. anyone use both of them ?

massey eq is pretty rad too !!

best,

jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes
making records

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:43 pm

jchristopherhughes wrote:a few weeks ago i checked out the waves api eq's on a hd rig. holy s!@# !!!

i was pretty blown away.

i am interested in checking out the urs version. anyone use both of them ?
I've used both. I like the Waves API eq's better - for what it's worth, they don't sound like they're "trying" as hard to eq. I don't know if that makes sense. The Waves just sound better...a little more natural and open.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:48 pm

I'm curious what others think about the Stillwell EQ plugins (available both in a native Reaper version, as well as more general VST's).

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=29

I find their Vibe EQ is great for getting a punchy, SVT type bass sound, but I haven't tried it on much else yet, nor have I tried their other EQ's.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with any URS or Waves plugins for comparison.

(side note - I have used their Transient Monster, which is a great plugin for punching up your drums).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Haven't used those, but thanks for the link - I'm gonna have to test drive.

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:55 pm

i've had the urs classic console strip pro plug for a little less than a week and so far i've been very impressed with the sound and versatility of the eq section (and it has great compressor models too). you can select a different eq model for each band which is very cool.
________
HERBAL HEALTH SHOP
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.