setup time.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rwc
resurrected

setup time.

Post by rwc » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:30 pm

If you get a message from a potential client saying "also with setup time, I don't want you to be taking 2 hours with this because I'm paying by the hour" in a stern tone, as if they're some nun at a catholic school from the 60s..

This same person has asked if I were "connected" with anyone who could get them a record deal.

Would you be less inclined to work with this person?

Over the past year I've learned a lot of the subtle telltale signs that give away a miserable session. I think I'm begging for grief by taking this on.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Trust your instincts. If you don't NEED the business, then I'd try to be too busy with other projects to deal with a client like that. There's a difference between keeping the client happy and letting them tell you how to spend your billable time trying to record them.

If a client is concerned enough about an extra hour or two for setup to make a stink before you even start, then they probably can't afford to record in the first place.

I could be wrong though.

Roger

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Rodgre wrote:If a client is concerned enough about an extra hour or two for setup to make a stink before you even start, then they probably can't afford to record in the first place.
I don't _need_ this specific person's extra business to pay my rent or eat, although I wouldn't mind having more business.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:53 pm

So basically, they're asking you to sacrifice the sonic quality of a product which will have your name on it?
Uhhhh......no.

I mean, I understand a budget, but if they're saying that right out of the gates I'd give 'em the cold shoulder (especially if you don;t need the work).

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:05 pm

What they fail to realize is that the less time you spend now getting sounds now the more time you're going to spend at the mix.

Or just throw up a 57 and say that's it. Think of all the money he'll save.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:43 pm

I think I'm not going to work with them. You all reinforced what I was already thinking.

If only you knew what they were paying.. to be frugal at these rates is ridiculous!

Oscar Wilde

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:52 pm

rwc wrote:If only you knew what they were paying.. to be frugal at these rates is ridiculous!

Unfortunately, that's not surprising. If I had a nickle for every garage band that was like, "Oh, you mean you actually charge for this??" I wouldn't have to charge for it.

"No I just built this room and stocked it with state-of-the-art gear so I could capture your piss-poor noise out of the kindness of my heart!"
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:11 pm

CurtZHP wrote:
rwc wrote:If only you knew what they were paying.. to be frugal at these rates is ridiculous!

Unfortunately, that's not surprising. If I had a nickle for every garage band that was like, "Oh, you mean you actually charge for this??" I wouldn't have to charge for it.

"No I just built this room and stocked it with state-of-the-art gear so I could capture your piss-poor noise out of the kindness of my heart!"
After recording a lo of people like this, I think I'm beginning to stereotype the frugal band leader guy. who can barely play every instrument, plays guitar, and is trying his best just to get people to join his band. He pays for the recording time opposed to splitting it among the band because they're only playing in his band as a favor, or as a way to pass the time when they're not playing shows or getting stoned. Never well rehearsed, or just barely well enough rehearsed to have a slight understanding of the song structure, they only begin to form a clue as to how to actually play the song once they're paying to record.

Pathetic.

Oscar Wilde

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:30 pm

I'd say, if you want the best sound, you'll let me work until I say we're ready to record. If you want to make a demo and end up with monitor mixes, then we can be ready in 45 minutes.

Chances are this dolt could care less about performance quality too.

Hire it out to an outside engineer working in your facility.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:07 am

"Would you be less inclined to work with this person?"

Send him to someone's studio whom you don't like. I wouldn't even hold a phone conversation with the moron. My favorite is "Set up time is free, right?" Oh sure, no one should pay while I decide which mics to use and how to set up and record this whole project. Shit...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:22 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:"Would you be less inclined to work with this person?"

Send him to someone's studio whom you don't like. I wouldn't even hold a phone conversation with the moron. My favorite is "Set up time is free, right?" Oh sure, no one should pay while I decide which mics to use and how to set up and record this whole project. Shit...
Yee Ha!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:26 am

I actually don't charge for setup time.

if there's a 4-10 session, I like to have all the mics setup and scratched, headphone boxes ready, by 3:55. It usually takes the artists about a half hour in the case of a band, or a small ensemble, or a string quartet, to get comfortable/tuned/drunk to their recording satisfaction.

If I know the instrumentation and genre beforehand I have a general idea of how to setup. I change mics/mic placement once the band is ready to start playing if I think it's needed, but I'd rather be changing a setup than starting a setup when the band is ready to start.

When people go so far as to lecture about setup time before they've had a session at $25/hr in a commercial building in midtown manhattan, they can record elsewhere. For a quick moment I thought it was me.. thanks for reminding me it is not! :D

Oscar Wilde

jinxed
audio school

ha

Post by jinxed » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:11 pm

RoyMatthews wrote:What they fail to realize is that the less time you spend now getting sounds now the more time you're going to spend at the mix.

Or just throw up a 57 and say that's it. Think of all the money he'll save.
haha, i gota do that sometime. yeah i've actually had to follow thru with projects like this. the time crunch only gets worse, and if they don't respect you taking the extra time to make THEM sound good by setting it up right, they're not going to appreciate any hard work you put up
Golden Track Recording Studio in San Diego
http://www.goldentrackstudio.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: setup time.

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:03 am

rwc wrote:If you get a message from a potential client saying "also with setup time, I don't want you to be taking 2 hours with this because I'm paying by the hour" in a stern tone, as if they're some nun at a catholic school from the 60s..

This same person has asked if I were "connected" with anyone who could get them a record deal.

Would you be less inclined to work with this person?

Over the past year I've learned a lot of the subtle telltale signs that give away a miserable session. I think I'm begging for grief by taking this on.
I've had my share of this situation. It will be miserable. Especially if the client is only going to "pay" for one day or less of time. This guy sounds like countless other hacks out there. And at the end of the day he'll most assuredly say something like, "I don't like the sound you got, I'm not paying, but can I have a reference mix? for the next place I'm going to rip off? Thanks."

I have set up for free before, when bands have booked three months of time or more. Then yes, heck, I'll gratefully spend up to two or three days setting up for free. With a BIG SMILE too... would you like an expresso while U wait?

But for one day...no way Jose.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:08 am

I dont charge for setup time, but I dont think I would like to work with this guy.

I dont charge because I dont want my customers to rush this process. Face it, this is an art, if you dont feel comfortable working, it aint going to sound good.

YMMV, plus I dont have to make a living at this.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity