level drop when using ada8000??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

watergunfight
gimme a little kick & snare

level drop when using ada8000??

Post by watergunfight » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:23 am

just picked up an ada8000, got it hooked up, but when plugging my great river and sytek preamps into this thing going XLR>TRS with the ada preamps at 0, there is a huge level drop compared to just plugging them into my 002r. my GR and syteks are peaking before the level is even remotely hot going through the ada into the 002.. am I doing something really stupid? or is this common knowledge? or is my ada8000 defective? do I have to use the ADA's preamps to boost the signal--I thought everyone was avoiding them and I would like to as well. I am confused...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: level drop when using ada8000??

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:55 am

watergunfight wrote:just picked up an ada8000, got it hooked up, but when plugging my great river and sytek preamps into this thing going XLR>TRS with the ada preamps at 0, there is a huge level drop compared to just plugging them into my 002r. my GR and syteks are peaking before the level is even remotely hot going through the ada into the 002.. am I doing something really stupid? or is this common knowledge? or is my ada8000 defective? do I have to use the ADA's preamps to boost the signal--I thought everyone was avoiding them and I would like to as well. I am confused...
Hi,

First, the ADA8000 has CALIBRATABLE inputs and outputs. Have you calibrated it yet? You'll need a good quality small flat screwdriver for this task. And the manual, which will tell you the details on how to go about this. Use a 1kHz sine tone.

Cheers

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:25 pm

watergunfight wrote:am I doing something really stupid?
Nah.

...Unless you were unwittingly using the line amps (or mic pres) on channels 1-4 of the 002 to boost the signal.

...Or if you had the 002 inputs set to -11 instead of +4

Otherwise no.

...Unless you were doing all this in the bathtub.

Otherwise, you're doing fine! :wink:

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Also...could be headroom issues. The Great River ( probably the Sytek also) has hot outputs as compared to the input headroom of the Behringer. I often had these issues with the LT going into its inserts rated at "0". I was using OSA and Biz pres into the LT which also has hot outputs..You probably can compensate for it with the GR with it's output control, as with the Sytek, it doesn't have one. Good luck

watergunfight

Post by watergunfight » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:35 pm

noeqplease wrote: First, the ADA8000 has CALIBRATABLE inputs and outputs. Have you calibrated it yet? You'll need a good quality small flat screwdriver for this task. And the manual, which will tell you the details on how to go about this. Use a 1kHz sine tone.

Cheers
I have not, I searched for that section of the manual and couldn't find it, also searched for "calibrate" and "calibratable" in the PDF file just to make sure I wasn't missing it...

When I'd use the sytek/gr with the 002 I'd be going into channels 5-8 with +4, without a bathtub in sight.

As for the headroom issues, I am saying that with the great river (both outputs) as hot as they can go without clipping going into the ADA still doesn't get that hot of a signal. And the sytek peaks too soon also.

Any other suggestions? Does everyone using an ADA8000 with external pres (or Digimas FS or any AD converter with built in preamps that are set at 0) have the same issue?

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:05 pm

watergunfight wrote:
noeqplease wrote: First, the ADA8000 has CALIBRATABLE inputs and outputs. Have you calibrated it yet? You'll need a good quality small flat screwdriver for this task. And the manual, which will tell you the details on how to go about this. Use a 1kHz sine tone.

Cheers
I have not, I searched for that section of the manual and couldn't find it, also searched for "calibrate" and "calibratable" in the PDF file just to make sure I wasn't missing it...

When I'd use the sytek/gr with the 002 I'd be going into channels 5-8 with +4, without a bathtub in sight.

As for the headroom issues, I am saying that with the great river (both outputs) as hot as they can go without clipping going into the ADA still doesn't get that hot of a signal. And the sytek peaks too soon also.

Any other suggestions? Does everyone using an ADA8000 with external pres (or Digimas FS or any AD converter with built in preamps that are set at 0) have the same issue?
If you are running the Great River full throttle into the Berry and not getting good recording levels ( weak signal)..I would think there may be some issues with the Behringer....What about cables?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:42 pm

FYI the sytek's light actually comes on 8db before it's actual clipping point..you'll find that in its manual and on their website..

the Behringer ADA8000 thing looks like it has a gain adjust..that is probaly the issue here..

you want to adjust it so that a 1.228volt sine wave at input = the average level you want to track at..ideally you should set that to accommodate the dynamic range of your program material..a lot of people use -12dbfs or -20dbfs as there reference level for typical types of program material..

watergunfight

Post by watergunfight » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:15 pm

Been shifting around different XLR>TRS cables and tried two different lightpipe cables and that doesn't seem to be the fix. If gain adjustment is the solution, how do I go about doing this? I don't see anything about it in the manual.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:47 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watergunfight

Post by watergunfight » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:43 pm

haha! well it was either the new aphex 142, the alesis AI3, or the ADA.

I could only find 1 person who's tried the new aphex unit, and so my decision was between a BLA modded AI3/ADA. the ADA worked out to be cheaper for apparently the same converters and the same analog stage upgrade, or at least according to the black lion website's AI3 description...

although when I called black lion today to see if anyone else had an issue with the ADA's volume, the guy told me (after trying to get me to mod my 002 :?) that the alesis is way better, even though it says on the site they use the same converters and each mod is putting in new op amps.. but I've been getting a few different answers from them depending on who I talk to...

so now I am stuck with a deposit already made to black lion on an ADA that is either broken and not as good as the modded alesis, ORR just as good as the alesis and working just dandy provided someone could give me clues as to where the gain adjusting shenanigans is written.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:55 pm

do you have the gain level knob on the front set at +4 or -10 (which ever your preamp outputs) ?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:02 am

noeqplease wrote:
watergunfight wrote:just picked up an ada8000, got it hooked up, but when plugging my great river and sytek preamps into this thing going XLR>TRS with the ada preamps at 0, there is a huge level drop compared to just plugging them into my 002r. my GR and syteks are peaking before the level is even remotely hot going through the ada into the 002.. am I doing something really stupid? or is this common knowledge? or is my ada8000 defective? do I have to use the ADA's preamps to boost the signal--I thought everyone was avoiding them and I would like to as well. I am confused...
Hi,

First, the ADA8000 has CALIBRATABLE inputs and outputs. Have you calibrated it yet? You'll need a good quality small flat screwdriver for this task. And the manual, which will tell you the details on how to go about this. Use a 1kHz sine tone.

Cheers
Oh sorry... I though you were using an APOGEE AD8000.

Now THAT would sound good with the great preamps you are using. But, now that I realize my mistake, I realize your mistake.

Cheers

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:39 pm

Even tho the Berry and the Alesis uses the same converter chip/op-amps, I think the difference in the two sounding different may be the design topology. That's why you can get a high-end unit and a low end unit, sharing some same chips,components, etc. and sound completely just that. Hi end vs lo-end!... :(

watergunfight

Post by watergunfight » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:19 pm

I just double checked the specs on this thing and I am even more confused.. apparently the line inputs are 20db quieter than the mic inputs...first of all why? you mean to tell me that everyone using this thing with external pres hasn't noticed this or is just somehow dealing with it? ive been researching for awhile and haven't even heard that brought up. can someone who actually has an ada8000 chime in?

second of all--I just did a test with the same mic on the same exact source in the same spot with the same cables, one pass with the sytek through the 002 and another with the sytek through the ada8000 and there is a 12.9db (not 20) difference between the two. huh?

so my last question is what should i do to make up for that gain being lost? use xlr>xlr out of my external pres into the ada's mic inputs (which means i need 8 more xlr cables)? or xlr>trs into the line inputs and just record a really low signal into the computer? or do that but boost the gain with the ada's preamps'; or sulk some more because i bought a behringer off of ebay :( ahhh

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:46 pm

Well...XLR line out to XLR mic input will be worse than what you have now. (IMHO).... XLR to TRS to line input is probably the best way. You probably need to find that adjustment pot that people say is in the Berry.You might just be in the -10 level and not the +4 level which is what you probably need as mentioned. Good luck