Which >$1000 Firewire Interface? So many choices!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

EnzoPolotso
audio school graduate

Which >$1000 Firewire Interface? So many choices!

Post by EnzoPolotso » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:31 pm

First post, whats up?
Right now Ive got a Mackie Satellite 2 input interface and it works great, its just a bit limiting. I want to start recording drums but there are just so many options for a firewire interface right now, im not really sure which way to go. I would like at least 4 preamps, but its not necessary. I can always add more, and I can even use the Satallite in stand-alone mode to add 2 more in a pinch. Definitely want ADAT. The interface will mostly be used with a MacBook Pro which I have yet to buy (because of the Agere chipset issues). Ill either buy used with TI or wait for it to sort itself out.
So far Ive been looking at

Presonus FireStudio 2626 - Looks GREAT in terms of features, price, preamps are apparently very usable. Got a great review in tapeop. driver issues, though!

Motu 828mk3 - More expensive than the other options in the long run, but Ive always liked the motu stability. only 2 preamps, apparently very bad ones? but adds dsp. hmmm

Mackie Onyx 400F - Love the 2 headphone jacks (wouldnt have to plug in my noisey 4 headphone amp), 4 decent preamps, but no adat. Drivers aren't that great apparently?

I'm at the point where all I want to do is make music. I don't need perfect adda and am also not willing to pay for it. My mics are very low end right now, I sold off my 421s, SM7 and other pricier stuff a long time ago and have been perfectly happy with my Audix i5, CAD M179 and Fathead. I'm still building that collection back up.
I just want something rock solid, that won't let me down.

Anyone have experience with these or similar?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:17 pm

it's not on your list, but I got my RME Fireface 800 for $1000 used.

it's the frickin' swiss army knife of interfaces. 4 great preamps, DI, up to 52 inputs total (including 2 ADAT inputs), top-notch conversion, great internal and external routing options, and runs hassle-free on whatever platform.

i did the "which interface" dance for a long time in that price range, and finally saved a bit more and went for the Fireface. i have never once regretted doing so. it's the heart of my setup.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:40 pm

I can second the fireface 800. It's been awesome for me, and I have had absolutely no stability issues. Sounds are great too!
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:49 pm

I just got my second Fireface 800 (to run together with my other one) and I agree... If you just want to make music and don't want your interface complicating things or standing in your way, the Fireface is a great choice.

EnzoPolotso
audio school graduate

Post by EnzoPolotso » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:00 pm

Hmm, I always figured the FF800 was one of those weird things that was about as much used as it was new. Are the FF400 preamps as good, and is it as stable?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:09 pm

EnzoPolotso wrote:Hmm, I always figured the FF800 was one of those weird things that was about as much used as it was new. Are the FF400 preamps as good, and is it as stable?
I got my second ff800 used for $999.

I'm not sure about the preamps in the ff400... but, the ones in the ff800 are quite usable. Also, as far as I know, the ff400 uses the same driver as the ff800, so should be just as stable.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:10 pm

you should be able to pick one up used for $1200 without really shopping around... $1000 if you're patient/diligent.

i'd be surprised if it wasn't stable... basically the same box with a scaled down feature set.

edit: preamps appear to be different. digitally controlled.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

skinsincyn
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by skinsincyn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:35 pm

I got my FF800 when they first came out (upgraded from the multiface). It is really fantastic. RME support is great, and Totalmix and Digicheck - their proprietary software are just incredible.

Unfortunately, Digicheck only runs on windows. I know you're thinking about a macbook pro, but if you're on the fence about that as well, digicheck might make you lean towards a PC. I hook my FF up to my PC at home and my powerbook for remote recording. Works flawlessly!

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:38 pm

wow, i had no idea this many people were rocking one!

we need to start a club. then we can scrap with the ramsa club.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:48 pm

So I?ve got two Mackie f400?s on XP, and got them both of them new for about $550ea. So that?s 20 channels I/O (16 ad/da) for $1100. The pre?s are great, decent A/D converters (same as the ff800, I think), and a great clock; but if I out grow them, I only have 8 open in?s for outboard pre-amps (you cannot defeat the pre inputs). So there may be a day when I will miss not having ADAT in?s, but that is the day when I transfer them to my mobile rig.

Yes two headphone jacks are nice, but if your tracking drums in another room that doesn?t help very much. I have a 5 channel headphone mixer (not great) but I end up using that because of mobility. So I wouldn?t put to much stock in the fact it has 2 headphone jacks, that?s easy to remedy for $50 on eBay.

If you have any more questions about platform/software integration send me a line and I?ll try to help, I have worked with these units a ton on Mac/PC, Final Cut, Soundtracks, Nuendo, Cubase, ACID, Vegas, Wavelab, Soundforge, but not on Vista. :oops:

Good luck
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

fatcatholic
audio school graduate

Post by fatcatholic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:52 pm

If you're interested in a much less expensive option, I'm using the M-Audio Firewire 1814, and I'm very happy with it. It is software-controlled, which is generally a great thing, as it affords quite a bit of routing flexibility. If you're running on a slower machine, it might have some trouble. Overall, it is a great unit for the price.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Personally, I'd recommend that you get an audio interface that uses ExpressCard instead of FireWire. (Read the Gear Geeking column in the Mar/Apr issue of Tape Op about FireWire.)

For example, the RME HDSPe ExpressCard w/ Multiface II bundle goes for about $1200 street:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hds ... sscard.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_multiface_2.php

And you might be able to find the Multiface II used for cheap.

You say you'd like four preamps, but could you do without any, using outboard preamps only? (The Multiface II has 8 line inputs, no preamps, but it also has ADAT, S/PDIF, Word Clock, and a separate monitor out.)

See my review of a RME rigs in Tape Op #63 (Jan/Feb 2008).

Or if you're really married to FireWire, and if you happen to be a Cubase user, it might be worth researching the MR816 from Steinberg.

http://www.steinberg.net/1671_1.html (scroll down to the MR816)

It has application-integrated near-zero-latency monitoring, as well as built-in digital effects that can be used during monitoring, and it works with Cubase's comprehensive Control Room functionality. All three a first for a FireWire interface.

Unfortunately, I have no clue how much it's going to cost.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Or an M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge connected to a PreSonus Digimax FS will give you 8 channels of preamps plus 24 leftover channels of ADAT. $1000 total for new units.

Plus, it's Pro Tools compatible if you ever want to go that route.

Will the Lightbridge be stable with the MacBook Pro? Don't know myself. But I've been using a LightBridge as my Pro Tools interface on my Intel Mac Pro ever since I sold off my PT HD system 15 months ago. With PT 7.3, I can get up to 34 simultaneous channels of discrete I/O. (With PT 7.4, it's back down to the software-limited 18 channels of I/O.)

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Post by PublicMelody » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:34 am

TapeOpAndy wrote: It has application-integrated near-zero-latency monitoring, as well as built-in digital effects that can be used during monitoring, and it works with Cubase's comprehensive Control Room functionality. All three a first for a FireWire interface.
Hi Andy,

I think Metric Halo has had the first two capabilities for many years now. The MIO 2882, introduced around 2001, provided direct monitoring off a Firewire interface. The +DSP functionality was added to the unit (around 2004) which allowed the user a grab-bag of digital processing/effects that could also be monitored in real-time. I don't think Metric Halo plans to have their interface "work with Cubase's comprehensive Control Room functionality", so the MR816 can still claim that one. :P

To the OP: you should seriously consider the Metric Halo 2882 and ULN2. I just sold my ULN2 for $700. There's a lot of excellence in that little box, along with great customer support and a cult-like following that reminds me of the early days of Linux -- back when running Linux was fun!
I also own two 2882s (one with +DSP). The 2882 units can be had, used, for well under $1000

Enjoy the hunt!

EnzoPolotso
audio school graduate

Post by EnzoPolotso » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:27 am

@TapeOpAndy: Yeah I mean having the preamps now would be great, but I'm in no huge rush so I wouldn't really mind continuing to use a couple of channels now and then adding on when I can. The expresscard option is definitely a consideration, especially if it becomes difficult for me to find a laptop with the right firewire chipset.

@fatcatholic: I didn't know the 1814 had adat, so even that might be an option, adding a digimax or something would be in my budget, but I wonder if it has direct monitoring, which would be very useful.

@PublicMelody: I may not be seeing this right, but is the ULN2 only a 2 channel interface? That's not really an option. The 2882 (without dsp) is in my range though.

I guess my problem right now is do I get something like the fireface and add-on as I can, or go with a cheaper all in one... I mean, I don't need amazing quality, I'm just making demos, but I've been a musician and hobby recordist for at least 10 years now and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
So is it "good enough" or something more expensive that I may be a little more happy with, if only so I don't get the upgrade bug again soon.