New "MXL GENESIS"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

New "MXL GENESIS"

Post by pixeltarian » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:45 pm

anyone hear one of these or see any reviews. I don't think it's out yet, but sometimes you'll find a review or two from places that get their hands on gear in advance...

all I could really find wasa little blip on mix's website and this:
http://joshcaryaudio.blogspot.com/2008/ ... nesis.html

"available at the end of april"
http://www.soundaboutmusic.com/product. ... ries_id=82

ao... would it be much different than this V69M with a similar mullard tube?
http://www.jrrshop.com/mxl-marshall-v69 ... p-688.html
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:10 pm

good question.

that's a dumb name for a mic, though.

for the few great mics MXL has put out, they sure do make some shitty ones, too.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:53 pm

themagicmanmdt wrote:for the few great mics MXL has put out, they sure do make some shitty ones, too.
yeah, hence the question...
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

Openreel24
studio intern

"Shitty mics?"

Post by Openreel24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:04 am

I'd really like to know which MXL mics you consider shitty.

I have used nearly every mic they make during the last 12 months, and I have yet to find one which is either badly made or poor sounding. They aren't always my "go to" mic, but I have had no problems with any that I have used.
MXL Sales and Marketing aka Openreel24

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: "Shitty mics?"

Post by chovie d » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:00 am

Openreel24 wrote:I'd really like to know which MXL mics you consider shitty.

I have used nearly every mic they make during the last 12 months, and I have yet to find one which is either badly made or poor sounding. They aren't always my "go to" mic, but I have had no problems with any that I have used.
I was wonderin the same.
?
me make purty musick!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:36 pm

That's one of the cheesiest things I've seen lately. Besides, aren't there enough fair-priced tube mic's made in china on the market already? The price-point seems a bit ridiculous too.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Openreel24
studio intern

Cheesy?

Post by Openreel24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Well, I am looking forward to trying one.

I have 2 MXL V69's. and the recordings I get with them are nothing short of superb. I looked at the new AKG perception series mics, and they too are made in China. I just didn't happen to like the sound of them. My V69's are both over 3 years old, have traveled all over the world with me, and still work as well as when they were new.

I don't care where anything I use comes from. If it gets the job done, it's ok with me.

rwc
resurrected

Re: "Shitty mics?"

Post by rwc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:39 pm

Openreel24 wrote:I'd really like to know which MXL mics you consider shitty.

the 603 compared to any "real" small diaphragm condenser mic gets revealed for the cheap junk that it really is.

it's hard to complain because they are so cheap. but that's what they are.. cheap!
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Openreel24
studio intern

Hmmm,

Post by Openreel24 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:10 am

Maybe you just don't know how to record!

I am not saying that the 603 is a KM 184, but I have used it very successfully on acoustic guitar, as drum overheads, and to record a solo harpist. But side by side with a KM184, the 603 sure gives it a run for it's money, despite the huge price difference.

Still, different strokes etc. I will continue using my MXL mics, and making money. ;)

rwc
resurrected

Re: Hmmm,

Post by rwc » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:30 am

Openreel24 wrote:Maybe you just don't know how to record!
that must be it. let me call up my clients and tell them I can't work with them anymore 'cause I don't know what I'm doing, and while I'm at it, apply for a job at duane reade, cause I find a $130/pair of chinese mics to be bunk. :roll:

tape the sm81 to an mxl 603 and put it on something.. i've yet to find anything the mxl didn't get owned with.

it's ok for the $130/pair my boss got them for, but that's what they are.. $130/pair mics. beats 57s for micing piano I guess, and is cheaper. most mics in the class are unusable for a majority of the sounds I am looking for, at least it was passable. I used those mics for a year for overheads, piano, strings.. life is so much easier now when I have real mics to record that stuff with.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Re: Hmmm,

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:03 am

rwc wrote:
Openreel24 wrote:Maybe you just don't know how to record!
that must be it. let me call up my clients and tell them I can't work with them anymore 'cause I don't know what I'm doing, and while I'm at it, apply for a job at duane reade, cause I find a $130/pair of chinese mics to be bunk. :roll:

tape the sm81 to an mxl 603 and put it on something.. i've yet to find anything the mxl didn't get owned with.

it's ok for the $130/pair my boss got them for, but that's what they are.. $130/pair mics. beats 57s for micing piano I guess, and is cheaper. most mics in the class are unusable for a majority of the sounds I am looking for, at least it was passable. I used those mics for a year for overheads, piano, strings.. life is so much easier now when I have real mics to record that stuff with.
Isn't that what Tape-op is all about, though? Getting the best results with what's available? I doubt that anyone here is going to turn down a nice set of 184's. But, not all of us have the luxury of working as full time engineers at a studio. A lot of us are underwriting our own recording efforts, and that isn't cheap.

For instance, aside from a set of NS10's, I've got a set of passive Tannoy Reveals. Yes, the MI priced Tannoy stuff. I really have come to dislike them. But money's tight. So my only option is to try moving them and my setup around untill that obnoxious 300hz bump goes away. Would I be happier with a more expensive set of speaks? Maybe. Or maybe I'd still have the same issues with the room. Maybe I should stop everything untill I can afford to have my basement re-modeled and acoustically tuned? And maybe, somehow, Mrs. Superaction80 will come down with brain damage and let me spend cash on that instead of the exterior paint that we desparately need.

Yes, I (and probably others) want the best gear in the best space possible. No, I can't afford all of it right now. And no, I'm not going to stop tracking anytime soon.

Peace.
Prog out with your cog out.

Openreel24
studio intern

We differ in our opinions then.

Post by Openreel24 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:07 am

If we all worked the same way, and used the same equipment, I guess the music industry would be a pretty dull place. (With equally dull recordings.)

My point was that there are a lot of microphones out there that I use which are not "mainstream" with which I obtain excellent results. There are also a lot of mics out there which receive kudos merely because of their brand name. I find the Neumann TLM103 for example not to my taste. It's sonic characteristics just do nothing to enhance any of the recordings I have made so far. I wouldn't characterize it as a "shitty mic" though because it is not one of my preferred tools.

As long as they spell my name correctly on the Grammy, I can live with the stigma of using Chinese mics.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:12 am

Its not that they sound bad, but I can see where someone could get that idea. If you look at the frequency charts (not that thats all a mic is about) its got some pretty wicked hype in the high end and to me that makes them sound great at first, but then it starts to fatigue my ears and drives me nuts. I think that high end makes them sound real thin after awhile. They are very usable but they would probable make a better mic if the lost the high end "WOW!" factor and made a more useable mic over all... at least thats my .02 cents

Openreel24
studio intern

High End

Post by Openreel24 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 am

Yep, the high end is a little hyped, but I find it easy to roll off the top a little if required. On acoustic guitar though for example, I rarely need to touch the eq with these. (Even some very jangly guitars,)

Again, it is all about personal preference. On some recordings I use Royers, on others a Blue, But I reckon the 603's get more use in general.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Re: We differ in our opinions then.

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:21 pm

Openreel24 wrote:I find the Neumann TLM103 for example not to my taste. It's sonic characteristics just do nothing to enhance any of the recordings I have made so far. I wouldn't characterize it as a "shitty mic" though because it is not one of my preferred tools.
I've always wondered if the 103 was supposed to be for broadcast and voiceover. Those are the apps I've liked it best for.
Prog out with your cog out.