Advice for Transfer from Cassette.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Advice for Transfer from Cassette.

Post by austingreen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:17 pm

If I'm transferring to digital from consumer-type stereo cassette player should I:

a) set my ADC inputs to -10 or +4dBV?
b) go straight from cassette player into ADC or cassette player into Stereo Amplifier then into ADC or one of those combinations into mixer (line-in or preamps) then in ADC?

And finally if i'm using my home Hi-Fi stereo for monitoring or just seeing what I'm working on sounds like in a casual listening environment should I be sending the signal from DAC output at -10 or +4?

I'm using MOTU mkII into Sonar or Wavelab on a Windows XP with 80's "Spirit Studio" 16trk Soundcraft.

thanks for the help, originally posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies...but answered my own question about 4 track transfer after quick consult with online manual, i should have done that first.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Consumer audio stuff is -10, unbalanced. In both directions. Ideally you'd set everything to -10. If it isn't working very well, then try the +4 option.

I'd go for the shortest possible path - cassette deck right to ADC. Unless you have a particular reason to add something to the chain, fer instance, needing a volume control from the receiver for a fade out. But fadeouts are pretty easy in the computer, as well.