Ribbon advice...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Seamus
audio school

Ribbon advice...

Post by Seamus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:14 pm

I'm buying my first new mic in a long time. Speficially I'm looking for a ribbon to use on loud guitar cabinets. I notice a lot of new names and some cheaper, Chinese made options. Since I've been out of the mic shopping game for a while, does anyone have any un-compensated advice regarding ribbons to check out that come in $800 or less?

thanks.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:15 pm

the cheapest good option would be a cheap chinese ribbon and swap out the transformer for a cinemag or a lundahl... i have a pair of nady lollipop ribbons with lundahls in them... they're fantastic for the money ($79 each for the mics, $70 or so each for the transformers, half an hour or so to switch them out) shiny box are pretty awesome too. and the beyerdynamic ribbon mics kick ass. i wish i had a couple of m160s in my cabinet.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:06 am

Cascase fatheads sound nice, but I don't know how close I'd put it to a LOUD guitar cabinet...? I get nervous in that application. I assume most are going to say Royer R121, but I was never that impressed with them. Probably my sucky rooms... Fatheads are cheap, sound awesome, and you can afford to get the updated tranny inside with $$$ to spare! Seriously, they sound wonderful!
Blah!

Seamus
audio school

Post by Seamus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:00 am

evilaudio wrote:but I don't know how close I'd put it to a LOUD guitar cabinet...? I get nervous in that application.
Yeah, I would like something that is fairly bulletproof in this regard.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:43 am

pop filter in front of a ribbon for close super loud.

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:35 pm

The cheapest great ribbon that has the wonderful hypercardiod pattern. Beyer m160.

Jimi hendrix's guitar mic.
I'm a bad man!

doctari
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by doctari » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Try the apex 205.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 pm

The Beyer M500 is probably the closest to "bulletproof," as I've seen on-stage vocalists using one. It's one of the few ribbon mics that I use regularly that I haven't blown up yet, but I don't know if that's just plain luck or not. They do sound great on loud guitars and can regularly be had for less than $350 used.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:48 pm

M160.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Oktavamod and Shinybox are your friend, or DIY if are so inclined. I have the Shinybox 23 (the old version, the "big Apex) and 2 stock Nady RSM-4. I will (hopefully) get the RSM-4s modded by Michael Joly/OktavaMod, but until I do I use them stock. They sound great on guitars (electric or acoustic) and drums, and occasionally on vocals. Great room mics also.

Remember it's not SPL that messes with ribbons, it's direct blasts of air. So unless you guitar cab has a port, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Singers, on the other hand..... :evil: