Show of Hands! Drummers?? or what do you play?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

What's your main instrument?

Drums and/or Percussion
44%
Guitar and/or Bass
44%
Other Picked Strings (Mando, Banjo, Uke, etc.)
No votes
Bowed Strings (violin, viola, cello, etc.)
No votes
Keyboards
3%
Brass
2%
Woodwinds
2%
Vocals
No votes
I play the Laptop/Samples/Electronics
2%
I don't play an instrument. I'm just a damn good engineer/producer.
5%

Total votes: 62

DrummerMan
george martin

Show of Hands! Drummers?? or what do you play?

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:21 am

I know we're all not drummers here, but it seems like there's alot of us.

I know this is a completely unimportant thread, but I've actually been curious. I'm looking for what you consider your MAIN instrument. I'm sure alot of us play alot of things, but if there's probably one (or maybe two) things that you really do best, or identify with most. That's what I'm looking for. (If you really need to vote for more than one axe, go ahead)

If I've somehow left out a category, forgive me.

I'm going to predict that drummers will be in the 70-80% range of this poll, but I could obviously be off. Any other predictions? I don't know you all as well as alot of you know each other, so whatthefuck do I know?!?! right?

Anyway...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:58 am

At one time, my main instrument was bass, and I was pretty good at it (in the John Entwhistle "I'm gonna make damn sure you notice the bass player in this song" sort of way).

Then I got interested in recording, which encourged me to get more interested in playing guitar. And as I got more into recording myself, I got more interested in playing keys...and, about a year ago, decided it was time I learned to play the drums halfway decently.

All the while, I lost my "chops", so to speak, so what's left is someone who can play a bunch of stuff but none of it at a highly proficient level. And along the way, I've learned some useful recording stuff from people who really are amazing musicians and songwriters.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:32 am

it kindof makes me sad... id rather be playing drums, than toiling in some recording studio all day...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:28 am

I play guitar and bass, but I also play some keys, synths, program drums, etc. I wish that I was a drummer. :(
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:29 am

i'd rather be toiling in some recording studio all day than working an IT desk job ever again.

i sing and play guitar/bass/electronics+electro-mechanicals.

i would LOVE to spend more time recording.

in fact, if i was 15 years younger, single and childless i would totally intern at a studio.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:41 am

In Mpls. at least I always thought it was strange that drummers tended to be more into recording than others. I certainly enjoy playing the drums the best, but its hard with neighbors and small children sleeping to practice and improve. (never liked the electronic drum pads).

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:59 am

RefD wrote:i'd rather be toiling in some recording studio all day than working an IT desk job ever again.
I kinda feel the same way, but with the current state of studios, I don't know that I could ever trade my job as an IT manager for working in a studio.

Unless I hit the lottery!!!
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:20 am

vxboogie wrote:
RefD wrote:i'd rather be toiling in some recording studio all day than working an IT desk job ever again.
I kinda feel the same way, but with the current state of studios, I don't know that I could ever trade my job as an IT manager for working in a studio.

Unless I hit the lottery!!!
part of it depends on how much money you really need.

add in a spouse and kids and recurring debt (mortgage, car payments, utilities and so on) and it becomes alot more difficult to make happen.

so much easier to get started when you're still young, single, childless, biking and/or using mass transit and living in a utilities-paid efficiency.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:41 am

RefD wrote:part of it depends on how much money you really need.

add in a spouse and kids and recurring debt (mortgage, car payments, utilities and so on) and it becomes alot more difficult to make happen.

so much easier to get started when you're still young, single, childless, biking and/or using mass transit and living in a utilities-paid efficiency.
Yep, I'm in the all of the above ^^ category with 2 in college at the same time in another year! It sure is fun as a hobby though and sharing it with all the great people on this board makes it even more enjoyable!!! :D

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:49 am

guitar is my main instrument. i can play it well enough to play the stuff i like/want to play. nothing crazy.

i can do a passable job at bass, drums, mandolin, and some other instruments in a pinch. again, nothing crazy.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:52 am

I've been playing sax since 1985. Flute too, though I don't maintain my chops at all. And I played clarinet for about 2 years while I was supposed to be teaching it.
+Keys
+Bass
+Drum and Key Programming/Laptopism
+Melodica
Prog out with your cog out.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 am

vxboogie wrote:
RefD wrote:part of it depends on how much money you really need.

Yep, I'm in the all of the above ^^ category with 2 in college at the same time in another year! It sure is fun as a hobby though and sharing it with all the great people on this board makes it even more enjoyable!!! :D
same here, only we got started quite late so both kids are still very little (a 7 month old and a 3 year old).

but we've paid off the house! :D
Last edited by RefD on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 am

Yeah I didn't put this down before, but my instruments in order of ability/capabitlty are:

#1 - Drum Set (generally the only thing I ever get paid to play. I've been playing for about 25 years)
#2 - Mandolin/Tenor Banjo/Guitar/Electric Bass (I can play these all well enough to get by in most situations)
#3 - Cornet/Trumpet (My chops are really weak, and I don't practice, but if the part is simple enough, I can sound pretty good for about 10 minutes before the lips turn to butter)
#4 - Vibes/Glockenspiel
#5 - Keyboards/Piano (I hate to depend on "fixing it in the mix", but the advent of midi editing really allows me to sound much more precise harmonically than I'll probably ever be)
#6 - Voice (I can sing fine and in-tune and all, but I think my own voice is just kind of boring. I can imitate others relatively well, but it still sounds kind of fake to me. I'm also a TERRIBLE lyricist. I generally avoid singing unless it's a background thing)
#7 - Flute I can get a decent tone on, but have NO dexterity in the fingers. Tenor Sax is the same, except I can't even get that good a tone on it.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:28 am

DrummerMan wrote:Yeah I didn't put this down before, but my instruments in order of ability/capabitlty are:

#1 - Drum Set
#2 - Mandolin/Tenor Banjo/Guitar/Electric Bass
#3 - Cornet/Trumpet
...snip list of instruments
Wow - I'm impressed! :shock: :shock: :shock:

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:36 am

drums, followed by bass/gtr/keys - just sort of competent at those 3, nothing terribly special.