New presonus digital mixer. what do ya think?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

billiamwalker
pushin' record

New presonus digital mixer. what do ya think?

Post by billiamwalker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 pm

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StudioLive16/

I was browsing some gear and came across this. This thing has it all. Kind of cheesy looking but it seems to be very strong for what it is. After reading it's specs... what do yall think the pros and cons of this digital mixer is?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:55 pm

Sound quality. That is the most important thing for me.

I would love to have a 16-24 channel mixer with firewire for my front end. It would be even better if the mixer section functioned with motorized faders and was selectable between banks to cover big mixes in Digital Performer, since most of my mixes these days are 20-40 tracks. However, I want it to sound as good as my BLA modded 828mk2 or Apogee Duet. If it doesn't, then even with all of the bells and whistles I'd rather stick with what I have.

However... it looks awesome and Presonus is one of those companies that seems to be making decent gear. I love my MP20 with the Burr-Brown mod. If the mic preamps sound that good in that thing then it'll be a real winner.

? I'm really concerned about the conversion quality, to be honest.
? Lack of digital outputs
? Lack of ADAT i/o
? Lack of workclock for syncing multiple firewire / digital

But in the end, you can definitely make music with that thing.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:31 pm

It looks like a children's video game for vista.

I have my reservations on expensive prosumer digital mixers. When something on that breaks, you are absolutely, positively, FUBAR and FUCKED.

It looks downright confusing next to any regular analog mixer. The whole point of a mixer or a control surface or a console, IMO, compared to a DAW, is the ability to work fast. But I could probably work faster in a DAW than I could on that fisher price clusterfuck.

Then again, it's also possible a bunch of other people can work faster on that than in their DAW of choice... but I sincerely, sincerely doubt it.

Just my opinion. YMMV.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:08 pm

rwc wrote:I could probably work faster in a DAW than I could on that fisher price clusterfuck.
Awesome. LOL!

Yes, upon closer inspection, I noticed that there is one pan knob that is shared by every channel. Why god why?!?!?!?!? I guess that it records your pan movements?

I want an analog mixer that sounds great, has motorized faders, and is a firewire interface. Too many options and bells and whistles, to me, gets in the way. And menus. Is it 1990?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:13 am

To me the biggest failing of it is that it is only $200 less than the Yamaha 01V96 but does SO much less and is so much less flexible. For instance, the Yammie can mix 40 channels simultaneously, and has expansion card slots for different types of I/O (including firewire). The only advantages the Presonus has seems to be a much better EQ/Comp control layout and more built-in analog I/O (like a LOT more).

Neither one would be my first choice for recording, but for live use, each one would have its own advantages. A digital mixer is great for live sound on a tight budget.

In terms of one pan pot shared by all channels: this is typical of digital mixers. In fact, the Yamaha has only 1 Freq, 1 Q, and 1 gain pot shared by four EQ bands across all channels. At least on the Presonus you get dedicated pots for each EQ band. To pan on a digital mixer, you select the channel, turn the pan pot to adjust the pan position, and then select another channel. I've never found that to be a big deal, but then again I usually ran my rig in mono.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: New presonus digital mixer. what do ya think?

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:16 am

billiamwalker wrote:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StudioLive16/

I was browsing some gear and came across this. This thing has it all. Kind of cheesy looking but it seems to be very strong for what it is. After reading it's specs... what do yall think the pros and cons of this digital mixer is?
No moving faders, so recall is a pain in the ass. I mean, really, what's the point?

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:39 pm

I don't understand how anyone can look at this and NOT be reminded of Fischer Price.

Or Tyco.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:31 am

Sucks. Buy a used DM-24 or 02r or 01v etc.... this thing can only do 3 things badly (mix live, FW in & FW out)
Everything louder than everything else.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:06 pm

without motorized faders, I'd take a pass on it. With motorized faders, then I'd consider it for the right applicaton.