Vinyl records are growing in popularity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Vinyl records are growing in popularity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by hiddendriveways » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:21 am

I'm posting this in Recording Techniques because we may end up having to learn how to do mixes for vinyl again! A major NYC retailer with a large presence on the web just started carrying vinyl again:

NO SHIT!

If you don't think that's a big deal, how about this one, vinyl records are the only sector of the physical media music business that have shown growth in 2008.

In the 90's people invested in dot coms. That didn't work out too well. Then they all bought fancy real estate. Talk about the shit hitting the fan!

The same people (the average consumer) now has a choice when they want to buy some new music. They can go to the iTunes store and spend $10 for a few megs of AAC files that have ABOLUTELY NO RESALE VALUE, or, they can buy a record for $15, a collectible item that could be worth more money someday. Put that in your WalMart bought pipe and smoke it!

http://newmusicstrategies.com/2008/04/29/are-cds-dead/

But hey, it doesn't end there! Remember your dream of having your own record label in the 1990's? That was a sweet fucking dream, was it not?

It's up to us to make the difference now. I do everything in my power to help convince people to buy vinyl records. If you start convincing people to do the same, then we may be able to help revive this medium. Just imagine your great great grandchildren waking up on a sunday morning, going out for a nice brunch, and then hitting up all of the record stores in their town.

So far I have bought two albums that came with a little card inside that got me free MP3 versions of the record, Of Montral's Sunlandic Twins and Okkervil River's The Stage Names. We all should be going out of our way to support the labels that are going through the trouble of doing this, because this is the business model that can make the shift back to vinyl a full blown sensation.

This holiday season, buy your neices and nephews LPs of their favorite music. Buy your family members record players with USB outputs so they can transfer vinyl to their computers - but also encourage them to use the record player in the traditional way too. It's fun to listen to records!

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!!! We can do this! Every NEW record that is purchased makes an impact!

Vote VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wink:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:44 am

If I press my album on vinyl, will you buy a copy?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Smitty
tinnitus

Re: Vinyl records are growing in popularity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Smitty » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:49 am

hiddendriveways wrote:If you don't think that's a big deal, how about this one, vinyl records are the only sector of the physical media music business that have shown growth in 2008.
If you sold 0 records in 2007 and 1 in 2008, you've 'shown growth'. I'd be interested to know the actual numbers.
But hey, it doesn't end there! Remember your dream of having your own record label in the 1990's? That was a sweet fucking dream, was it not?
Vinyl is by far the most costly medium on which to put out small runs of music, bar none. I fail to see how the highest possible production overhead is somehow condusive to the success of a small business. Let's compare the cost per release of a digital release to that of a vinyl release.

Let's also discuss the environmental impact of the creation and eventual disposal of vinyl records while we're here.

Let it be said that I am far from anti-vinyl. I love the space that the larger format affords the artwork, and I'm right on board with having a gorgeously designed physical product for my money, but it's far from a panacea for the music industry.

on the plus side, the masses getting into vinyl would immediately make it "not cool", and all the "cool" people would have to sigh a lot and find new record stores to hang out in and start listening to their music on wax cylinders.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:57 am

Smitty wrote: I'd be interested to know the actual numbers.
it's something like 1-2% of total music sales.
Vinyl is by far the most costly medium on which to put out small runs of music, bar none. I fail to see how the highest possible production overhead is somehow condusive to the success of a small business. Let's compare the cost per release of a digital release to that of a vinyl release.

Let's also discuss the environmental impact of the creation and eventual disposal of vinyl records while we're here.
agreed on both points.

but that said (er...quoted) i'm all for vinyl as well. i'd love to have a recording come out on vinyl. of course, i don't even have a band at the moment...

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:06 am

Smitty wrote:Let's also discuss the environmental impact of the creation and eventual disposal of vinyl records while we're here.
I'm all for discussing this. I'll fight the arguement that people shouldn't have physical artwork in their homes tooth and nail until the day I die.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:21 am

hiddendriveways wrote:I'll fight the arguement that people shouldn't have physical artwork in their homes tooth and nail until the day I die.
Well me too, but that's hardly the issue on the table here.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:29 am

Smitty wrote:
hiddendriveways wrote:I'll fight the arguement that people shouldn't have physical artwork in their homes tooth and nail until the day I die.
How is the issue of putting out a record different?

What's your take on the environmental impact of vinyl?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:45 am

hiddendriveways wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Because there are lots of ways for people to have physical artwork in their homes that have nothing to do with vinyl records, nor would they likely factor into any sort of debate on that topic. I fail to see how these two things are connected? Also, who exactly is arguing that people shouldn't have physical artwork in their homes?

I need to make sure my facts are straight before approaching the environmental issue... so I'll have to get back to you on that one when I have a bit of time to do some research.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am

Smitty wrote:
hiddendriveways wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Because there are lots of ways for people to have physical artwork in their homes that have nothing to do with vinyl records, nor would they likely factor into any sort of debate on that topic. I fail to see how these two things are connected? Also, who exactly is arguing that people shouldn't have physical artwork in their homes?

I need to make sure my facts are straight before approaching the environmental issue... so I'll have to get back to you on that one when I have a bit of time to do some research.
Cool. I'm honestly interested in what your research will uncover. Forgive me if I'm coming off as heavy handed. It's not intentional.

My point is that vinyl albums are art. I have photographs and paintings and sculptures in my home. In my mind they're no different than the records I own. In fact, the most beautiful things I own are a few of my more special records.

The argument against pressing records in my mind is the same argument against photographers printing out photos, painters choosing to use canvas and paint as opposed to only being allowed to use software. Should sculpture have to be stopped completely?

I'm glad you're green. I'm a recycling freak. But there is a line between what objects are useless and should be reused - and what objects have value and importance and are worth their existance and should be preserved.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 am

And I should say that I don't have a "records destroy the earth" agenda. I've heard some things, but nothing I'd be comfortable passing off as fact (even on the internet) without reading a bit. I may find out that it's largely harmless to make records, in which case I'll come back and say so.
The argument against pressing records in my mind is the same argument against photographers printing out photos, painters choosing to use canvas and paint as opposed to only being allowed to use software. Should sculpture have to be stopped completely?
different strokes, but there's a bit of a difference there for me. at best, a record is the equivalent of a print... there's lots of them made and none are as one-of-a-kind-unique as a painting or a sculpture.

nor is a record jacket meant to stand on it's own entirely as an artistic statement. they are inherently complimentary/referential to the music contained on the record. an amazing medium for artistic expression and development, no doubt (i'm a graphic designer and some of my favorite design work ever is on old jazz and blues records), but still must be thought of in the context of their purpose.

also, it should probably be noted that all other forms of music media also allow for artwork, the only difference being the size/format.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:35 am

I believe the environmental impact that is most worthy of discussion is the consumption of resources required to actually produce the records, not the ultimate landfill impact. Also keep in mind that vinyl is, to the best of my knowledge, a petroleum based product. That being said, count me in as a vinyl lover. I truly feel it is the finest format for music. I love the concept of vinyl releases with mp3 downloads, thus combining the best of both worlds.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:36 am

there was a thread on the vinyl resurgence not long ago, steve berson dropped a lotta facts wrt both sales figures and environmental impact. if you search back a few pages you'll find it.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:03 am

centurymantra wrote:I love the concept of vinyl releases with mp3 downloads, thus combining the best of both worlds.
Cool. But it's graduated from concept to reality and it will only take hold if you go out and buy those records.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:28 pm

As an adamant lover of vinyl myself, I have to say this:

you're kind of preaching to the choir here. We're not the ones who 1) need convincing of the positive qualities of vinyl, and 2) will make any bigger difference in the future of vinyl sales.

The only way that vinyl will make a significant new impact on the market is if John Q. Public (who's not an engineer, musician or dj) is buying them en masse. The mass population dictates the direction of the media used, and since most people want things to be easy, I think that it's unlikely that vinyl will take over ever again. Most people want to listen to music while sitting in front of their computer (or walking down the street with their ipod), and they don't want to take the time to get up, walk 8 feet over to their turntable and flip the record. That tactile experience that you and I get from the physicality of vinyl, most people could give two shits about it.

Music has become a background for the majority. I don't know many people, if any, that sit down and just "listen" to a record anymore, with that being the focus. There's a reason why everybody's trying to get their songs on tv shows, because music's most succesful (and probably lucrative) function these days is as an accompaniment to something else.

I don't mean to come off all negative 'n shit. I would love it if vinyl were the main thing going on. I'm even considering trying out my next release as vinyl/mp3 only, but that is purely an experiment which I'll have to save the money for. I don't think musicians making the decision to do that, though, will necessarily force the public to buy it. You'd have to have a shit ton of musicians/label be willing to lose a bunch of money to really saturate the stores enough to force people to buy that media, and who can afford that now? Not most of the labels I know of. Otherwise, people will most likely just buy something else, instead of buy a turntable that they have no room for, and wouldn't even know where to plug it in because their "stereo system" is the fancy powered speakers that only plug directly into their computer's 1/8" headphone jack.

And your enthusiasm is nice, but this has been happening (slowly as it is) for a while now. I don't see any of the figures saying that this shit is all-of-a-sudden jumping, or the growth is becoming exponential. Most people who I talk to (who are not musicians) don't even think that you can still buy a turntable. Oh yeah, DJ's aren't even using real records as much now that they all have Serato.

Uuughhh! I feel like a pessimistic dickhole now. Sorry, really...

OK. Here's something positive that I could suggest: Convince your local record store that sells vinyl to advertise and sell cheap USB record players at a slightly inflated price, but each record player comes with a coupon for 5 free records (of the customer's choice) from that store. That will give customers a jump start on their new collection and a future-friendly platform to feel comfortable building upon. There, how's that?
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:29 am

i like vinyl just because CD's aren't 24 bit audio.

when CD's become 24 bit, then I'll be gung-ho for them again.

until that happens, vinyl sounds better.

but it wears out.

just because it's big doesn't mean it's better, unless you're talking about the album art and the feeling you got something.

then again, the feelings that I got something for my money happens when I actually listen to the music.

all this being said, I haven't bought a CD in two years.

come on, 24 bit!
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*