I'm DOWNGRADING My Pro Tools (MIX)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akg414
re-cappin' neve

I'm DOWNGRADING My Pro Tools (MIX)

Post by akg414 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:56 am

Right now, I have a Digi003 rack running on a very powerful G5 MAC. All is fine, with all the limitations of LE.

I was looking on eBay 2 weeks ago at all the "older" Mix cards, etc... The prices are unbelievably low, literally dirt-cheap.

So I got to thinking -

Mix Core card: $320
Farm card: $300
888/24 $300
888/24 $300
New (older) mac $400 (mix systems don't run on G5s)

$1,600 for a Mix-Plus TDM system with (16 In/Out)

I just sold my 003 for $950, and my MAC in going up for sale in a couple days for $1,100.

I'll have money left over (for plugins!!)

Yeah, not the most up-to-date version, but a fantastic system none-the-less.

Any thoughts?
- Brad

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:04 am

get apogee 8000s. the 888s sound like dirt.

before someone runs in saying WAIT! You question the 888s? YOU MUST BE A SUCKY ENGINEER!

keep in mind anyone can make records on anything, but dumping the 888s will make the process easier. and sound better.

that shit is so obsolete now it's pathetic. A modern native system will run rings around even the fastest mix plus system.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:28 am

rwc wrote:get apogee 8000s. the 888s sound like dirt.

before someone runs in saying WAIT! You question the 888s? YOU MUST BE A SUCKY ENGINEER!

keep in mind anyone can make records on anything, but dumping the 888s will make the process easier. and sound better.

that shit is so obsolete now it's pathetic. A modern native system will run rings around even the fastest mix plus system.
Yeah, all the while limiting your track count, introducing latency, etc, etc... I'm staying with Pro Tools, and a mix system is a better value than a 003.
- Brad

dubold
steve albini likes it

Re: I'm DOWNGRADING My Pro Tools (MIX)

Post by dubold » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:39 am

bradjacob wrote: Any thoughts?
well, depends on if you're ever importing sessions from other studios or from clients. if so, compatibility might be worth thinking about. if you're only importing regions/stripes, never plugins, then you'd probably be ok.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:45 am

bradjacob wrote:

Yeah, all the while limiting your track count, introducing latency, etc, etc... I'm staying with Pro Tools, and a mix system is a better value than a 003.
PTLE isn't intended for real use. It's the fisher price or playskool version.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:49 am

dubold wrote:
well, depends on if you're ever importing sessions from other studios or from clients. if so, compatibility might be worth thinking about. if you're only importing regions/stripes, never plugins, then you'd probably be ok.
Yeah, you're right about that. I'm more concerned with recording from my place, and with the members in my band. If someone comes in with a project that has plugs I'm missing, so be it. (have to cross that bridge). But for the most part, running a system that was certainly (Top-Shelf) only 3 or 4 short years ago. Platinum records were made with those systems.

Would I like to have an HD system, F___ Yeah. Just can't afford thousands right now. For the price, and old TDM system seems to make a lot of sense.
- Brad

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:55 am

rwc wrote:
bradjacob wrote:

EXACTLY Rwc... :wink: I feel the same way.

To me, trading in an LE system for an older TDM system is a better value. Because I'm not making records for living and (having to stay on par with today's cutting edge) isn't an issue, I shouldn't want for anything.

I just want my high-track counts back, I don't want any (noticeable) latency and I want my track-delay-compensation back. Oh, and surround too!

Playskool... I love that :wink:
- Brad

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:05 pm

dubold wrote:
He'll just need to be on top of asking clients for back-saved session files.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 pm

bradjacob wrote:
rwc wrote:
bradjacob wrote:

EXACTLY Rwc... :wink: I feel the same way.

To me, trading in an LE system for an older TDM system is a better value. Because I'm not making records for living and (having to stay on par with today's cutting edge) isn't an issue, I shouldn't want for anything.

I just want my high-track counts back, I don't want any (noticeable) latency and I want my track-delay-compensation back. Oh, and surround too!

Playskool... I love that :wink:
Why is it you feel you absolutely have to stick with pro tools?

"I'm not making records for a living" is the best argument to go with another DAW.

Oscar Wilde

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:50 pm

rwc wrote:Why is it you feel you absolutely have to stick with pro tools? "I'm not making records for a living" is the best argument to go with another DAW.
Honestly, I've been using Pro Tools for 9 years now, and I know it very well. I used to use Cubase and found it a lot less intuitive than PT. I think PT has a more pleasing look, its chock full of features, industry-standard, and I still have the HOPES of making records for a living (LOL).

You really want to hear something REALLY dumb?

I used to have an HD2 system until one year ago. I got into a craze where I thought recording would be more fun using a Mackie and some ADATs. I sold the HD system to buy an expander-board (already own a 24x8), 2 more ADATs, a new powerful MAC computer, Digi003 (so I could still have PT), some outboard gear and money for building my studio.

Did I ever use the expander? Nope... ONLY use was as a return for my Lexicon reverb. I just never got around to using the ADATs and Mackie combo. Part of this is most likely because the Mackie board was something I ALWAYS drooled over in the music stores back in the 90's.

So now, my 003 is limiting me during mixdown of my bands new album. Tracking limits us to only 32 tracks (we're pretty extensive with our tracks). I'm missing my TDM platform and want some more pro-features.

My 003 just sold, and my expander is on eBay as we speak. Tomorrow my PowerMac is going onto eBay.

( - anyone interested in a really fast Powermac for $1,000 -??)

I've already purchased 6.4.1 from the Digistore and I just got my "new-old" G4 MDD Macintosh today. I'm on the hunt now for 2 888/24 units, a Mix-core and a farm card.

So that's my story.
- Brad

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:34 pm

rwc wrote: PTLE isn't intended for real use. It's the fisher price or playskool version.
What... you can't use the word "prosumer" twice in one day?!?

:D just messin' with you....
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:08 pm

bradjacob wrote:
rwc wrote:Why is it you feel you absolutely have to stick with pro tools? "I'm not making records for a living" is the best argument to go with another DAW.
Honestly, I've been using Pro Tools for 9 years now, and I know it very well. I used to use Cubase and found it a lot less intuitive than PT. I think PT has a more pleasing look, its chock full of features, industry-standard, and I still have the HOPES of making records for a living (LOL).
Honestly, the best argument for staying with any system is that you know it. There's so much learning curve about recording-irrelevant stuff like pulldown menus. It's just way better to stick with what you know.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:47 pm

I've been running Mix era systems for years now, and they work well for me. The downside is definitely the 888/24's, which leave much to be desired, but are useable. My plan is to save for a Lynx Aurora 16, and use it via AES into the 888's, and if/when it comes time to upgrade to an HD system, I'll already have some good converters.

Being "stuck" at 44.1 is fine with me. I have an 002r that I keep around if I have to do sample rate conversion. One thing that sucks, is that there is very little in the way of reverbs available for the OSX version of PT (6.4.1) for Mix systems. I'm not a fan of DVerb, and I'm thinking about some options for that.

No latency is awesome. Lot's of busses is cool too. There's much to like about Mix era stuff.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:45 pm

allbaldo wrote:I've been running Mix era systems for years now, and they work well for me. The downside is definitely the 888/24's, which leave much to be desired, but are useable. My plan is to save for a Lynx Aurora 16, and use it via AES into the 888's, and if/when it comes time to upgrade to an HD system, I'll already have some good converters.

Being "stuck" at 44.1 is fine with me. I have an 002r that I keep around if I have to do sample rate conversion. One thing that sucks, is that there is very little in the way of reverbs available for the OSX version of PT (6.4.1) for Mix systems. I'm not a fan of DVerb, and I'm thinking about some options for that.

No latency is awesome. Lot's of busses is cool too. There's much to like about Mix era stuff.
how bout Reverb-1? Any info on that? Also, with mix system, going outside into a Lexicon is always nice
- Brad

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:48 pm

bradjacob wrote:Right now, I have a Digi003 rack running on a very powerful G5 MAC. All is fine, with all the limitations of LE.

I was looking on eBay 2 weeks ago at all the "older" Mix cards, etc... The prices are unbelievably low, literally dirt-cheap.

So I got to thinking -

Mix Core card: $320
Farm card: $300
888/24 $300
888/24 $300
New (older) mac $400 (mix systems don't run on G5s)

$1,600 for a Mix-Plus TDM system with (16 In/Out)

I just sold my 003 for $950, and my MAC in going up for sale in a couple days for $1,100.

I'll have money left over (for plugins!!)

Yeah, not the most up-to-date version, but a fantastic system none-the-less.

Any thoughts?
Tape. If not tape, then high resolution snobbery. Let is start now. When you're an old guy, you'll hear the difference. Forget the 888s.