Caught the DIY bug

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Another plus to DIY-ing things is the ability to tailor your existing equipment to your needs. Most of the DIY work I do is for guitar, so if I decide I want a wah that's a little more bassy, an amp that sounds more 'open', or a guitar pickup configuration that's not commercially available, it is possible with some experimentation.

I really like the MFOS stuff, and there's a good forum of add-ons and mods for the soundlab linked on that site. The diystompboxes.com forum is fantastic too.

I'd say, start with something simple, like a distortion pedal, then build up to something harder. It is very addictive, and easy to get in over your head. I always have a couple of 3/4 finished projects on my bench!

I think you'll enjoy DIY'ing if you've thought this hard about it already.

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:47 pm

space_ryerson wrote:Another plus to DIY-ing things is the ability to tailor your existing equipment to your needs. Most of the DIY work I do is for guitar, so if I decide I want a wah that's a little more bassy, an amp that sounds more 'open', or a guitar pickup configuration that's not commercially available, it is possible with some experimentation.

I really like the MFOS stuff, and there's a good forum of add-ons and mods for the soundlab linked on that site. The diystompboxes.com forum is fantastic too.

I'd say, start with something simple, like a distortion pedal, then build up to something harder. It is very addictive, and easy to get in over your head. I always have a couple of 3/4 finished projects on my bench!

I think you'll enjoy DIY'ing if you've thought this hard about it already.
I'm either going to start with the Ultra Fuzz or the WSG from MFOS. I figure that those are more than within my grasp of understanding.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:28 pm

0-it-hz wrote:Yeah, build a pultec and tell me it isn't the sweetest thing ever.... my studio is about 70% DIY gear. If you have a decent job then DIY is just a hobby, your wage can buy you some nice gear and you can take the time to do cool stuff, if your wage is low (like mine) than DIY allows you access to a world you are otherwise forbidden from.
+10!!!
Harumph!

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Brian wrote:
0-it-hz wrote:Yeah, build a pultec and tell me it isn't the sweetest thing ever.... my studio is about 70% DIY gear. If you have a decent job then DIY is just a hobby, your wage can buy you some nice gear and you can take the time to do cool stuff, if your wage is low (like mine) than DIY allows you access to a world you are otherwise forbidden from.
+10!!!
Exactly. I'm a 'house husband' and I spend most of my days at home or in my basement studio. I'm slowly picking up more freelance jobs which I'm using to now fund my DIY gear. Luckily for me the wife has a job that makes enough to cover household expenses, etc. I'm just lucky all around.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:36 pm

theshaggyfreak wrote:
Brian wrote:
+10!!!
Exactly. I'm a 'house husband' and I spend most of my days at home or in my basement studio. I'm slowly picking up more freelance jobs which I'm using to now fund my DIY gear. Luckily for me the wife has a job that makes enough to cover household expenses, etc. I'm just lucky all around.
+20!

Anyone remember the old "Andy Capp" cartoon?

That's how I feel sometimes.
Harumph!

single_fin
alignin' 24-trk

Post by single_fin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:05 pm

i'm in a similar boat - i freelance just enough to cover the bills and pay for expensive transformers.

luckily the missus doesn't wack me like andy capp.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:42 am

I gotta start buying expensive transformers. I now have a box of good components, caps, resistors, common values, different materials, need tranny's now.
Current projects:
3 kids,
Building studio out of my big 2 car + LARGE shop,
Modding all my gear, (mostly done)
Work, (I mix during the day, audio and video)
Changing the world for the better everywhere I can.
Harumph!

bobschwenkler
gettin' sounds

Post by bobschwenkler » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:19 pm

ckeene wrote:That's true that unless you're diy-ing en masse, your gear savings are pretty negligible. And once you factor in the cost of tools and time you may be losing money. But I do think going diy is a great learning experience, and will get you basic electronic knowledge that's going to make you a better engineer.
I myself have saved thousands doing one-offs.

bobschwenkler
gettin' sounds

Post by bobschwenkler » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:21 pm

Brian wrote:I gotta start buying expensive transformers. I now have a box of good components, caps, resistors, common values, different materials, need tranny's now.
Current projects:
3 kids,
Building studio out of my big 2 car + LARGE shop,
Modding all my gear, (mostly done)
Work, (I mix during the day, audio and video)
Changing the world for the better everywhere I can.
I see Jensens going on Ebay fairly often for really good prices. Particularly different models of output transformers.