Laptop for live use... suggestions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Smitty
tinnitus

Laptop for live use... suggestions?

Post by Smitty » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Looking at maybe getting a cheap laptop for live use during our show, to host virtual instruments and the like.

TigerDirect has some great deals on "Netbooks" like these.

Would something like those have enough oomph to run most soft-synths and some virtual instruments live?

I have no expertise with using computers in a live setting, but the low price and small form factor of those seems enticing for this purpose.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

in a little rowboat
studio intern

Post by in a little rowboat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:29 pm

most folks i know who do this go Mac...I have seen radiohead master this several times live

a cool related article http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... iohead&L=1

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:24 pm

first off, I am a computer guy for a day job. I am working at a large institution right now backing up, imaging and wiping computers.
Second, Acer is shite. Dont buy any Acer.
Most of what I saw listed from that link wer intel atom based cpus. Not very fast.
Try looking into an Asus, Dell or Lenovo with a core 2 duo and at least 1 gig of ram. One thing you will find is that it is getting harder to purchase an XP based notebook. Most of them are loaded with vista. Which is not so great for live music performance/production.
What kind of interface are you going to be using? None of these have tolerable audio subsystems. So you must get into/outta it with USB/firewire. A lot of notebooks have iffy firewire. I finally brought my 828 downtown and went to 4 different places and tried installing and running it.
Ended up getting a cheapo Lenovo 3000 C200. Works fine, but its no Thinkpad. Dells are boring as hell looking but they are sturdy and well built.
Finally apples macbooks are something of the defacto standard in audio.
Check those out. If you can afford it get the macbook pro and get the 7200rpm drive.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:52 pm

What Calaveres said.

You might also consider a new (or used) Gateway convertible Tablet PC's.

I've had two different ones over the last 5 years. I use the Tablet as my main computer at work, and take it home every night. I also travel with it a bit for my job. Mine have been subjected to much jostling, and really have been beat to hell.

They are very sturdy. I think they must over-engineer them to be sure they don't fall apart when people use them (and/or bump, drop, etc.) in the Tablet mode.

To give you an idea of their robustocity - the screen is covered in thin glass (as part of the touch sensitive writing surface). I once dropped mine during an extended visit in Japan. Shattered the glass in the upper corner of the screen. Since I had to keep using it, I just put some clear packing tape over the cracks. Ended up using it that way for another 6 months. Kept working, no problem, and looked very "punk rock".
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:08 pm

I'm pretty techy myself, and am a max devotee, but can't justify spending $1K+ on this. In that range I'd be better off getting a used Nord or something.

If I can't make it work for less than $400, it's not really a net gain for me.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Fair enough, but the Gateway's aren't too expensive. There were recently a couple of M285 (the convertible table I have now) on eBay with BuyItNow prices of $530. So you should be able to find one for under $600.

Note - I'm not recommending them because of the Tablet part (although that is fun for drawing and/or mixing with a stylus), but rather because I think they are "ruggedized" BECAUSE of the Tablet, and because their target audience is College students and Nurses.

Anyway, I'll stop proselytizing now - it's not like they are a Mac or something. :P
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:23 pm

look for a used Dell 610 or 620. Most large companies are flooded with them. They are as ubiquitous as staple pullers and post it notes.
http://www.pcexchange.com/SearchResults ... awodKVp7Ow
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId ... ap=D620-2B

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:55 pm

REDUNDANCY!

if a guitar fucks up, someone else has one you can grab.

every venue typically has a pair of drumsticks when some moron forgets to bring theirs.

same with cords.

with a mixer, if a channel dies, you have another.

BUT WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR LAPTOP DIES BEFORE A SET?

hey bartender, have a laptop I can borrow with the exact same programs and files I had on mine?

redundancy. plan on stuff breaking.

a single laptop that fucks up before a set, is a nightmare.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:09 pm

i JUST SAW A LAPTOP ON SALE FOR ONE DAY AT WALMART THAT WOULD RUN LIVE.

try out any of them and remember that AMD is faster for less money.

Fuck INTEL.

But you are still going to have trouble depending upon how much stuff you are trying to run live.........it is not quite there yet. I don't think.......

ANd as far as macs go.....when they are there....then pc's will have already been there.

Ummm....if you HAVE gear already I have had great success running mp3 players for the last 5 years......as backing tracks......

I am in the same boat as you I would love to run some of the cool VST's that I have live....but I wouldn't trust it for a minute......even with a 700+ laptop.

But I say go for it.....you might be able to fake your way though it with a little talent.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:25 pm

timmymacdd wrote:i JUST SAW A LAPTOP ON SALE FOR ONE DAY AT WALMART THAT WOULD RUN LIVE.

try out any of them and remember that AMD is faster for less money.

Fuck INTEL.
WTF?

are you stuck in 2006?

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:31 pm

could be.......still haven't upgraded since 2006 with a whole new computer,

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:34 pm

I bought AMD stock at 14.50

At the time I got my quad core and OC'd it to 3.92 GHz(24 hr prime stable), the stock was below 6

the performance and the stock seem to go hand in hand in this case.

Video encoding, audio encoding, etc.. everything is faster since they came out with the conroe/allendale/kentsfield cores in 06. AKA the core 2 duo/core 2 quad. AMD's 3 GHz dual core for under $300 actually took more power for less performance than the intel stuff.

It's a new ballgame. This isn't P4-Ds smithfields taking almost 2x as much power for 60% of the performance of the X2 anymore.
Last edited by rwc on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar Wilde

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:35 pm

are you by chance suggesting that intel has finally caught back up?

If so AMD is still less money.....heehee

But if it is proven that intel is finally back to the top then I would have to reconsider my suggestions.......

But at a 150 dollar savings AMD even if close is still a better deal...

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:59 pm

the intel core 2 duo laptop chips are indeed the fastest ones out there. Intel currently has this bizzare full court press going where they will only allow laptop builders to lable their units "Centrino Duo" if they have intel chipset, CPU and wireless. yes intel is trying to leverage their mobile brand to take over more wireless market share. The upside of this is that a laptop with non-intel wireless is a bit cheaper than a full intel box. AFAIK there arent any serious non-intel chipsets on laptop side.
On teh desktop side AMD is still competitive. Their motherboards are still better deals than Intels, and the chips are a better deal in some niches. you can often put together an AMD box for a $150-200 less than a competing Intel solution.
Though for my personal uses I am still milking my 2 year old computer for another 6 months until the next iteration of hardware comes through.
I have good word that DDR3 is going to be a dead end and DDR4 will be a longer cycle.

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:17 am

cool info.

I am waiting as well. I haven't found a computer or upgrade that is truly faster than what I have since two years ago. But it looks like things will change over sometime this year.

It seems they need to truly build an 8 gig ram computer that runs 64 bit programs under 700 bucks and then I am in.

I see they actually have those kind of computers but I don't have any 64 bit programs that will work with all of the other stuff THat I have. PLUS I don't really have the need for more power yet either. I am happy freezing tracks to get it all working together and I tend to over plugin my stuff.....pain in the butt but it sounds better. I have to make up for doing all of my effects in the box.

Freezing tracks is still faster than sending audio through outboard gear. It would be nice though to be able to run all effects and mastering at the same time.....but I don't think they make a fast enough computer yet.