L speaker/R speaker

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tsw
steve albini likes it

L speaker/R speaker

Post by tsw » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:54 pm

I need a quick reference check from some of you guys. I made a very dumb assumption, but if that's all it was, I'll be happy.

I'll get to the point. I was about to pull apart my monitors based on the assumption that I had a blown tweeter. I thought I had a blown tweeter because of some songs I heard where the right channel had way less high end than the left channel.

The songs in question? Mostly stuff from Wilco's "A Ghost is Born." For instance, the hi-hat on "Spiders" seems way less present in the R than in the L.

When I was doing my dumb little test, (being a friggin idiot) I failed to run the right channel into the left speaker. When I did that, I discovered that the problem might not have been the speakers. It might be that the R side of the recording just has less high end than the L side.

Whoa, that was really convoluted, but hopefully some of y'all know what I just said.

Anyway, can some of you just listen real quick to that song and see if you're hearing less high end (listen especially to the hi hats) in the R than in the L?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andy

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:57 pm

sum to mono and listen to one speaker at a time...

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:02 pm

drumsound wrote:sum to mono and listen to one speaker at a time...
Yeah, but what would that tell me that I don't already know? I just took the CD player and hooked it straight up to the speakers. Ran the L cord and R cord into the monitor I thought had the blown tweeter, and it turned out the L side of the recording had lots of high end and the R side did not.

Doesn't that kinda accomplish the same thing?

Do you have the recording handy? Can you listen over your system?

thanks!

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:14 pm

do other songs demonstrate a similar response when played through the speakers in question, or is your suspicion based solely upon the hi-hat in the song you mention?
Village Idiot.

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:23 pm

floid wrote:do other songs demonstrate a similar response when played through the speakers in question, or is your suspicion based solely upon the hi-hat in the song you mention?
To be honest (I know this is making me look like a real jackass), it's mostly stuff from that Wilco record.

Has anyone else had a chance to listen to that song?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Whoa.

Do yourself a favor and listen to some other well known stuff that you know very very well.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:02 am

Swap the connections for L and R.

I have to do this now and again because I have lost some extreme highs in one ear and the other gets fatigued real fast by highs. After you do this a time or 2 you may gain more trust in your setup.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

cdixon6
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cdixon6 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:32 pm

Blown tweeters are pretty obvious...

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:09 pm

My guess is that the hi hat is just panned to one side.

If you swapped the channels and the high end moved with the channel, it is not the speakers. If you are still wondering if something is wrong, play a different CD.

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:20 pm

farview wrote:My guess is that the hi hat is just panned to one side.

If you swapped the channels and the high end moved with the channel, it is not the speakers. If you are still wondering if something is wrong, play a different CD.
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I was just hoping someone could check that particular track to see if they heard a big high end difference from one channel to the other. I don't always phrase my questions very well.

Thanks!

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Hat and snare are panned left in that song. Just checked. About halfway through the song, the drum reverb is panned right and you can hear the hat over there a bit, and especially the snare. The main crash cymbal is on the right side too.