Garageband

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Garageband

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:57 am

Is anyone using this? I did a song with my roommate using it and I didn't care for it...
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:18 am

some people do - it is now a 24bit / 44.1 DAW, so what's to lose? It can use VST and AU plugins. the interface is simple and generally friendly, but it is limited as far as in depth MIDI/editing/signal flow/etc. depending on the project and the client, sometimes its a reasonable choice to make.

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:05 pm

I use it sometimes just to mess around with. it's pretty easy to just plug your interface in and start laying guitar tracks down with. my biggest complaint is i couldnt find a way to do different midi instruments on different midi channels. Also, I couldn't really send out to external effects, unless I was just missing that option somewhere. I couldn't access the individual outs on my interface.

it's fun to just drag in some apple drum loops and freestyle over them...i made a bunch of recordings like that. two-track acoustic guitar demos and things like that, etc.

I recently switched to Logic and haven't grasped it yet, so i still use GB some, but less everyday.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm

I use it often as a scratchpad when I don't have my Cubase dongle handy. It rocks for what it is, which is free.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:25 am

the soft synths on it sound amazing to me. I was able to get really close to a Rentals type mini moog sound by tweaking some of the paramaters on one of the settings. so for a free program its pretty awesome

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:24 pm

I think for what it is, it's great - which is a free scratch pad that is totally fine for most people, but is a decent intro to a "real" DAW like Logic. I don't like working in it in any serious manner, but if I had a Mac I'd use it right now since I'm currently DAW-less (partially on purpose). The loops and whatnot are cool for just messing around, and as a practice tool I think it's really stellar.

What I love most about it is that my non-musical friends can totally get into it. When it first came out a friend of mine cooked up a fake mariachi band and he had never played an instrument in his life. It was fun!

However, the best use I've ever had for garage band is my super talented stop-motion animator friend wanted me to do a song for a short animated film she had. She had a pretty decent idea of what she wanted it to sound like, but had no musical experience, so she would just cook up little things in Garage Band and bring them to our meetings. I didn't use any of the melodies outright, but it was a great way for her to communicate what she wanted in a musical way.

If you have a Mac, just start working in it and see if you like it. Price is right.