4 track mastering decks?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

4 track mastering decks?

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 pm

I came across an Otari about a year ago (here is another thread about it http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=47234 ). I ended up finding out that it is a 4 track mastering deck. I had never heard of such a thing. Has anyone on here used a 4 track master deck? If so what is the advantage or disadvantage to using a 4 track to a 2 track for your final mixes.

Sorry if you think this should go in gear talk... I wasn't sure

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:28 pm

It was probably for quadrophonic systems, which basically had four separate channels (rather than today's standard of 2, or 6 in the case of 5.1.) Today, there really wouldn't be any advantage to mastering to 4 channels, unless your working on a surround project in a format that really no longer exists. You could work towards making half a Zaireeka.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 pm

I may have been used at a 1/4 Track machine for making A and B side consumer open real realeases.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:19 pm

I got it from a TV broadcasting station that was going all digital and they were just gonna throw it out. It may have been used for voice over work for commercials? After searching online for a bit it turns out there were a few 4-track mastering machines. Apparently Sony made one, 3m made one, Ampex made one. I also found this on a blog through a goole search:
I recently got an Otari MX5050-BQIII and then spent 6 months getting tapes, cal tapes, hubs, reels and researching how to calibrate it. By the time I was ready to use it, I was about over it. Unless you want to sound like a Boards of Canada cassette player, it's worth getting a deck that can be calibrated and runs at 15in/sec.

The BQIII is a 4 track mastering deck so after I recorded 4 tracks and dumped to DAW, I left one track on the deck and recorded 3 more tracks. I dumped all 4 tracks again and used the common track for sync. They are a huge pain in the ass to 'properly' maintain but to hear acoustic instruments, especially drums recorded on tape is worth it all.

Either way, could a 4-track be used just to put stereo mixes on as the final mix to send off to be mastered? Or how should I use this thing?

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:18 pm

InvalidInk wrote:Either way, could a 4-track be used just to put stereo mixes on as the final mix to send off to be mastered? Or how should I use this thing?
Unfortunately, pretty much no (on sending mixdowns made to this deck to a mastering house). The areas on the tape used for tracks 1,2,3, and 4 do not line up with what would be the areas for standard half track (aka 2 track) left and right. Tapes made to this deck will not play back normally on a standard 2 track "mix" deck.

You can however:

A) Mix down to this yourself to get some "tape glue" mojo on your mixes, and then bring it back into your DAW yourself. If you want to use the maximum surface area of the tape, send the left side of your mix to tracks 1&2, the right to 3&4.

B) Just track anything at all to it then bring it back into your DAW. Think of it as an effect or treatment. A texture choice.

I track stuff out to lofi, midfi, and hifi tape machines all the time and then bring them back into digital land. I can't imagine not having that texture option. Some sounds benefit enormously.

echosound
studio intern

Post by echosound » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:28 pm

i have one from a post production studio... we used to stripe one of the tracks with time code to lock an audio mix to picture... movies and tv stuff pre DAW....

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:13 am

hey - wait -

when you're talking about sending L to 1+2 and R to 3+4 - aren't you setting youself up for some possible phase and miscalibration issues between channels?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*