MXL 4000, Solaris or the like?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

MXL 4000, Solaris or the like?

Post by sad iron » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Anyone have any experience with this mic. MF is selling it right now with a 603s as a 'free gift' and I could use another condenser of the small and large diaphragm varieties.

They also have a B stock MAudio Solaris for cheap.

I've had mixed luck over the years with these cheaper Chinese mics. Anything out there in the $200-300 range that is good. I'm looking for multipurpose stuff to fill out the mic locker a little, not the gold standard.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 pm

the solaris is miles ahead of the MXL 4000. I have a pair and they're really really bitchen. I have a 4050 and a 414 and the solaris find just as much use as either of those mics, especially on piano and jazz/fusion drums.

Having heard the MXL 4000 I would not buy one, IMHO.
Everything louder than everything else.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:43 pm

I found the Solaris to be almost freakishly good for an awful lot of things...

Shite for close-up, aggressive vocals. But for almost any typical LDC application, it's a winner for next to nothing.

I don't have an awful lot of mics anymore (I rarely ever track/mix anymore). But of the mics I didn't dump, a pair of Solaris - Solarises? Solari? Whatever - I have two of them and they're on a very short list of mics I kept.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:10 pm

I'm thinking about a used Oktava 319 as well. If that doesn't pan out, I will probably go with the Solaris, although I have to admit the possibility of two mics (both mod-able as well) is a draw, a very strong draw...

The sound clips of the modded 319s sound pretty amazing though.

I'm confusing myself now. i could also buy the Fab Four plugs, upgrade to Logic Studio or any number of things for $200-300. Or I could save my money. I don't have session coming in that says I have to have a new mic . Ugh.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:13 am

I don't have experience with the Solaris, but I have an MXL 4000. I got it mainly because I don't have any mics that aren't cardoid so I want the options. This mic sounds great on everything I've put it on. Putting the mic in omni and putting it in front of the 12th fret of an acoustic yields the best acoustic sounds I've ever gotten. It picks up really nice detail and just the right about of low end. I did like that it came with a 603S for free, which I use as half of a stereo pair since I bought a 603S when it was the "stupid deal of the day" for $30 (I wish I had bought 4 of them). So cheap (hell, free), but they sounds great as overheads and in an XY pair.