2 Unrelated Pro Tools Questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

2 Unrelated Pro Tools Questions

Post by nopenopenope » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:49 pm

1) Is there any easy way to get my RTAS plugins to render? Say I've got a nice little chain of signal processing going on a given channel that i'm ready to commit to, but I don't have the processing power to keep it in real time. Any simple way to tell those plugins to render what i've got already other than saving the settings then opening Audio Suite and rendering each one there, piece by piece?

2) I've started a session in 44.1, but the studio I'm taking it to only runs at 48k. (Yes, literally.) Any easy way to convert my multitrack to 48k? Doing a "save copy in..." doesn't seem to do a real conversion, just resample.

Thanks for your help, hopefully these aren't offensively noobish questions.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:26 pm

1. assign that channel to an aux bus. create a new audio track with that aux bus as the input. arm the channel and record.

2. I'd probably look for another studio. I can't imagine why they could possibly work "only" at 48k.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: 2 Unrelated Pro Tools Questions

Post by JGriffin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:27 pm

JoshSites wrote:1) Is there any easy way to get my RTAS plugins to render? Say I've got a nice little chain of signal processing going on a given channel that i'm ready to commit to, but I don't have the processing power to keep it in real time. Any simple way to tell those plugins to render what i've got already other than saving the settings then opening Audio Suite and rendering each one there, piece by piece?
Print the track to a new track, by which I mean bus the output of that track to a new audio track and record it, creating a new audio file of the track+effects. Then make the original track inactive and bypass the plugins.

Edit: cross-post.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:32 pm

1. Hmm, should have been more clear. By easy I meant faster than real time. Thanks though for the bounce idea.

2. Not a choice, but solid advice I intend to follow when I graduate. There's a very petulant SSL box coupled to a Studer D950S console (MK I, even. yikes!) that runs at 2 flavors: 44.1k and 48k. And, the aforementioned petulant SSL box that talks between Pro Tools and the console will only accept 44.1k briefly and intermittently. All of this I learned after tracking the basics and some overdubs in the much nicer Studio B. Diagnosis on the SSL box (and the console) is "Replace With Extreme Prejudice" with an API Vision that will be installed about 2 weeks after I graduate. Hooray for the younger guys. Studio A will be bitchin'.

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:57 pm

JoshSites wrote: 2) I've started a session in 44.1, but the studio I'm taking it to only runs at 48k. (Yes, literally.) Any easy way to convert my multitrack to 48k? Doing a "save copy in..." doesn't seem to do a real conversion, just resample.
Make a new 48k session and then import session data, making sure the "copy from source" and "apply SRC" boxes are checked. Then make sure your source SR is 44.1 and destination is 48k. Should do the trick.
Mmm, lung butter.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:35 am

firesine wrote:
JoshSites wrote: 2) I've started a session in 44.1, but the studio I'm taking it to only runs at 48k. (Yes, literally.) Any easy way to convert my multitrack to 48k? Doing a "save copy in..." doesn't seem to do a real conversion, just resample.
Make a new 48k session and then import session data, making sure the "copy from source" and "apply SRC" boxes are checked. Then make sure your source SR is 44.1 and destination is 48k. Should do the trick.
Sure, this will work... but it requires extra unnecessary steps.

Just use the "Save Session Copy" function. It's under the "File" Menu. (Actually, in PT 7.x I think it's just called "Save Copy In"). You can select whatever Bit depth and Sample Rate you desire. Easy.

This is also good advice:
subatomic pieces wrote: 2. I'd probably look for another studio. I can't imagine why they could possibly work "only" at 48k.
:wink:

bloodspoint
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bloodspoint » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 am

subatomic pieces wrote:1. assign that channel to an aux bus. create a new audio track with that aux bus as the input. arm the channel and record.

2. I'd probably look for another studio. I can't imagine why they could possibly work "only" at 48k.
I've had lots of arguments with people about whether recording at 48K vs. 44.1 is worth the conversion hassles later, but it seems to be rather a... religious issue. If I could work at 88.2 I would, but since my gear only goes to 48K, I stick to 44.1.

Sean
--
Bloodspoint Studio
http://www.bloodspoint.com/
"This is our concern, Dude..."

protoolsman
ass engineer

Post by protoolsman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 am

There is no faster than realtime on protools. The only way is AudioSuite rendering which is 1 plug in at a time. Print to another track is the fastest way.
one can never have to many microphones

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:17 pm

bloodspoint wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:1. assign that channel to an aux bus. create a new audio track with that aux bus as the input. arm the channel and record.

I've had lots of arguments with people about whether recording at 48K vs. 44.1 is worth the conversion hassles later, but it seems to be rather a... religious issue. If I could work at 88.2 I would, but since my gear only goes to 48K, I stick to 44.1.

Sean
Not to get into an argument, but if you're doing work for picture, starting at 48 and staying there is often helpful, as most video editors work at 48.

That said, I work at 44.1 unless I know I'm gonna be working to picture.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

bloodspoint
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bloodspoint » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:37 pm

dwlb wrote:
bloodspoint wrote:

Sean
Not to get into an argument, but if you're doing work for picture, starting at 48 and staying there is often helpful, as most video editors work at 48.

Yeah, sorry. I should have specified that I'm talking about music headed directly to CD.
--
Bloodspoint Studio
http://www.bloodspoint.com/
"This is our concern, Dude..."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:14 pm

bloodspoint wrote:
dwlb wrote:
bloodspoint wrote:

Sean

Yeah, sorry. I should have specified that I'm talking about music headed directly to CD.

cool.

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:20 pm

fossiltooth wrote:Just use the "Save Session Copy" function. It's under the "File" Menu. (Actually, in PT 7.x I think it's just called "Save Copy In"). You can select whatever Bit depth and Sample Rate you desire. Easy.
Thanks! Yes, I re-discovered this myself. I found out why it sounded like crap the first time I tried it... some gremlin or other nefarious creature switched by SRC algorithm to the lowest setting.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Problems are all solved!